PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Maroney & Dillon get hurt ?? Is Cobbs gonna make the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
Faulk's presence in the game speaks volumes about Maroney's blitz pick-up. The biggest reason we didn't see Maroney in the second half was to reduce the probability of getting the quarterback hurt while working on the passing game.

I don't buy that because if Maroney needs to learn blitz pickup, why not have him practise it with Cassel at QB? He has to learn someday. Best now with no real game and no starting QB at risk.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I don't buy that because if Maroney needs to learn blitz pickup, why not have him practise it with Cassel at QB? He has to learn someday. Best now with no real game and no starting QB at risk.

Because we can't afford to get Cassel hurt at this point. If he practices against TBC, Colvin, Alexander, etc, those guys aren't going to hit the QB. The Redskins sure would.

I have no evidence that Maroney is not injured. Why miss two straight days of practice when you could at least be there learning?

shakadave said:
I have no evidence that Maroney is not injured. Why miss two straight days of practice when you could at least be there learning?

Yes, I think at this point that he's almost certainly nicked up.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Exactly. To cut Pass they'd have to pay an injury settlement.
I could be wrong but I don't think they would have to pay an injury settlement because he never was on the team this year. PUP is for injuries BEFORE the start of the season. I think they can just cut him without penalty.

Advantage of cutting is that they can re-sign him any time. They don't have to wait until week 6.

Advantage of PUP is that no one else can sign him. (If they cut him, he could sign with any team and we will have lost the chance to put him on the 53.)

brady2brown said:
I could be wrong but I don't think they would have to pay an injury settlement because he never was on the team this year. PUP is for injuries BEFORE the start of the season. I think they can just cut him without penalty.

Advantage of cutting is that they can re-sign him any time. They don't have to wait until week 6.

Advantage of PUP is that no one else can sign him. (If they cut him, he could sign with any team and we will have lost the chance to put him on the 53.)

Thanks for the clarification. We have the cap space and $ to PUP him for RB insurance. Then again, let's say he's healthy next week, if BB thinks he's better than other RB/ST guys on the 53, maybe he won't PUP him.

brady2brown said:

I'll defer to Miguel, but I think you're wrong. First of all, Pass has a contract, so he is on the team this year until that contract is terminated. Secondly, he had surgery due to an injury suffered on the football field last season, so he is entitled to an injury settlement if he's cut.

dryheat44 said:
I'll defer to Miguel, but I think you're wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time, or the last. Like you, I'll defer to Miguel.

(I do remember that Ty Law got an injury settlement. Guess it depends on whether Pass's surgery was related to an injury last season, or what. If the rule is ambiguous, I'd expect the Patriots to be generous to Pass.)

shakadave said:

It would be logical to assume they are giving him a few days off with no intention of using him or Dillon tonight. Get LoMo & Corey fresh for Buffalo and the season.

This game may very well come down to Evans Vs Cobbs for that last RB slot - maybe even Mills thrown into the mix with 2/3 making the squad. Would be very interesting to see that.

Wonder why they do not try Cobbs kick & punt returning?

Where ever they line up - look for #41, #45 & #44 on special teams. Ultimatley, that is where they will earn their spots. May the better player win, outright.

shakadave said:

Bumping up this semi-prophetic fear (to help make up for being wrong on Grammatica and Beisel! I still see Grammatica in the NFL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back