Welcome to PatsFans.com

Did Manning Congratulate Brady?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by oldskool138, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sorry if there was a thread on this already.

I remember when Manning broke Marino's TD record they made a big deal about showing us the congrats that Manning got from Dan.

I know the Colts played last night but they didn't play Saturday night and I don't remember seeing a little conference call or something to the effect of a public congrats from Manning to Brady.

I may seem like a small thing or even insignificant but considering how people like to call the Colts and Manning "classy" this would seem like the thing to do.

I'm not really sweating it or freaking out about it but it's the principal of the thing.
  2. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nah, he was too busy filming a commercial.
  3. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Probably so. They are close friends.
  4. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm sure Brady's record will not be validated until Manning's blessing is bestowed.

I mean really, why do you care about this sort of thing?
  5. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Because the media made a big deal out of the Marino/Manning thing when it happened. It's more about proving that there's a double standard when it comes to the Pats in the media.

The Kings of Class (Colts) should take show the Cheatriots what it means to be classy. (I'm kidding of course).
  6. ShrewBeer

ShrewBeer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

the media doesnt seem to care about that, which is what i think your point was. them bastid colts...they get all the breaks, the favoritism, BUT WE GOT THE RINGS!! HAHA!
  7. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

True enough. Hopefully the D will use this extra week off to rest and prepare for the run to AZ. They weren't that great on Sat. I'm interested to see how the Giants do against a comparatively rested Tampa Bay squad.
  8. marcus

marcus Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think they are pretty good friends, I am willing to bet he did.

Manning has a lot more class than the 1972 dolphins, for example.

If you know you are great and are sonfident in yourself, you're not afraid to share the spotlight.

The 72 dolphins realize that although they were undefeated, they played a very weak schedule and they have nothing else to hold onto.
  9. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

i get the impression that these guys text or call each other pretty often. i'll also bet that they keep the conversation private so we'll just have to wonder.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He'll probably release a statement in the next day or two, but I bet he personally did congratulate him. I always got the impression that Brady and Manning were on good terms.
  11. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't know. Look at Sieglo's sig block. :D
  12. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

No question about it. Earlier in the season Manning was asked about the possibility of Brady breaking the record. He had some very nice words about both Brady and Marino, and how he hoped to follow Marino's model of graciousness.
  13. FrontSeven

FrontSeven Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes, the double standard is that the Pats hog more media attention than about 20 other teams combined. Can you accept the fact that not everybody in the media is in love with our team and just move on?

You aren't proving anything except what a crappy journalist you'd make on the national level.
  14. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I guess I'll have to recall my resume that I submitted to the New York Times, USA Today and the Washington Post. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  15. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

They spend a week together fishing during the summer or something. He'll probably call him and personally congratulate him.
  16. Patriot Power

Patriot Power Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am still waiting for the public congratulations from Manning. I figured after last night's game he'd do it in his post game comments... but I've read nothing.
  17. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

Why is it such a big deal to you? Are you Tom Brady?
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And if it happens will you call Manning a class act?
  19. Patriot Power

Patriot Power Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who said it was a big deal to me ?

I just think the classy thing to do when someone breaks one of the most storied records in the game that you previously held is to congratulate them publicly. Marino did it, so should Manning.

Why is a big deal to you what I think ? Are you my wife ?
  20. Patriot Power

Patriot Power Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure, why not. It's the classy thing to do.
  21. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The Patriots have earned whatever attention they garner. And if you were a fan before this year, if you really are one at all, you would know that has not historically been the case. And what makes you think he'd want to be a crappy journalist on the national level? Please, tell me you don't think sports mediots are actually journalists...

And take a freakin' midol, will you...
  22. SteveTHEyankee

SteveTHEyankee Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you will find that the elite QB's- past and present - keep in contact. I know for a fact (because he says so) that Marino talks regularly with Peyton and Tom and Brett and so does Steve Young.:D
  23. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

No, he's not Tom Brady; just another of our whining fans. Tom Brady does not need public congratulations from one of his closest friends. What posters here can't seem to accept is the enourmous respect that exists between patriot and colt players and coaches, especially between Manning and Brady. When they all retire, I expect that the colts and patriots of this decade will re-live old memories for generations, likely on fishing trips.

Marino is different. As is the case with the 1972 dolphins, Marino is not friends with Manning and is an a'hole. His public demeanor was/is of a self-serving jerk. The media wanted to rub Manning's achievement in his face. And BTW, should we go 19-0, the media will be ruthless with regard to Mercury Morris and Kuchenberg. The media doesn't hate those old dolphins as much as we do, but they do hate them. The new dolphins will get a pass for a couple of years, since they are so pathetic, and Parcells has come on board.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  24. kriskanos

kriskanos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually Manning did release a statement, it just hasnt been read yet because of all the '72 Dolphins memos.
  25. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Even I don't care if he did or didn't.
  26. C'est La Vie

C'est La Vie Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On the contrary, I think they ARE pretty good friends. manning has spoken about times with Marino on more than one occasion.

My guess is that PM probably texted TB immediately, and I would assume they have spoken since. I really think there is mutual respect there. I think they are still guarded, but respect each others game.(JMHO)
  27. the taildragger

the taildragger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

come on, you can't deny the double standard.

maybe it's just because Marino's mark stood for a while and Manning's was just a few years ago, but i seem to remember a whole lot more hype for PM.

I remember having to watch every single one of his passes on ESPN on a loop (all 49! with the original radio calls) it was insane....Indy's radio dude made me dry heave ("THAT'S THE RECORD BREAKER!!!!!" will hopefully never be heard again)

I mean when stokley caught 49 it felt like they stopped the game, confetti fell from the rafters, Archie came out for a ceremonial embrace, Marino spoke on the jumbotron, and I believe Jim Nantz was actually in tears....

we break multiple records and get flagged for doing the tootsie roll :rolleyes:
    and have chris collinsworth describe how the safety blew the coverage.

:bricks:
  28. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes he'll release a statement saying if his O-line had played better he would have broken his own record.
  29. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Here is the statement released by Manning:

"I would like to congratulate Tom Brady for breaking my TD Passes record. I say I would LIKE to congratulate him, but I'm not going to do so. Brady and his Patriots cheated to get my record, and there should be an asterisk next to his name. Ditto this 16 - 0 record. I agree with Don Shula, that had not the Patriots video taped almost half of the first quarter of the Jets defense, in the first game of the season, this record never would have happened.

I also am still irked that Bill Polian hasn't pushed through enough rule changes to derail the Patriots. This is an outrage!!!

Anyways, again, Congratulations Tommy!"

:)
  30. JJP

JJP Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Archie Manning was interviewed on ESPN yesterday on First Take. At one point the interview went to a discussion of Tommy, and Archie indicated that Peyton did in fact telephone him to congratulate him on setting the record. I have not seen a public statement released to the public, however. Also, in this morning's rag Boston Herald Tony Maz has a decent article on the fact that Brady's record was largely accomplished in foul-weather conditions, whereas Peyton and Marino encountered nothing but weather bliss in their (then) record-setting seasons, which is worth pondering, and which highlights just how great Tom Terrific is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.