PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Jimmy Johnson expose his former QB as a liar + hypocrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat_Nasty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
During yesterday's FOX broadcast, Johnson had the following exchange w/ Barry Switzer and Terry Bradshaw: [text per Bostonsportsmedia.com]
Johnson: "Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make him [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this."

Switzer: "It's total arrogance. The Commissioner sent a memo out to every squad."

Bradshaw: "Did you do it at Oklahoma?"

Switzer: "Yeah. It happened."

Bradshaw: "Did you do it at Arkansas?"

Johnson: "Yeah."

Bradshaw: "Did you do it in Miami?"

Johnson: "Yeah."

Meanwhile, over on CBS, Dan Marino was expounding on his opinion of the practice in question:
Dan Marino: To a quarterback, if you know the signals ahead of time, that's a huge advantage. If you know where the blitz is going to come from, what coverage that they're going to be in...It's arrogant. It's wrong. It's cheating. When you look at it that way, you could make Boomer Esiason look like Joe Montana. I'm trying to keep it light.

My questions are:

1) Where does Marino think Jimmy Johnson got his inside tips on the opponent's defensive calls from, and...

2) Does this call into question the validity of Dan Marnio's soon-to-be-defunct-anyway touchdown records?

Nobody wants to hear anything that makes the pats look better.

I'm not sure if Johnson knew of Marino's comments but this is certainly an example of players speaking as though they know what a coach is doing.... and that was Johnson's point I think:

"Shut your yaps players - chances are your coaches are doing the same thing Belichick did, whether you knew it or not..."

Brady's comments this morning saying that these types of comments are based on ignorance is in line with this reasoning as well, with Brady saying he's lost respect for an awful lot of players and others...

Many coaches have done it, but it's not like they get on the radio with their QB and say "hey this is their defensive call...". Anyone's who done it (recording coaches), sure as hell aren't using it to tell their QB the oppositions plays. Yet everyone wants to assume that BB was using it to tell Tommy the opponent's plays.

The lack of intelligence, common sense and logical thinking in all these mediots, players and coaches is ASTOUNDING. I mean honestly, they can't just be THAT much against BB and the pats can they? It has to just be that they are morons.

BB and the patriots coaching staff are one of very few groups in football that can actually USE the information they get from recording coaches. Not in any hugely significant way, and that's what pisses people off most. That is why everyone WANTS it to be about stealing signals. Because they have NO idea how to use the tape otherwise and it doesn't make any sense to them.

During yesterday's FOX broadcast, Johnson had the following exchange w/ Barry Switzer and Terry Bradshaw: [text per Bostonsportsmedia.com]

Meanwhile, over on CBS, Dan Marino was expounding on his opinion of the practice in question:

My questions are:

1) Where does Marino think Jimmy Johnson got his inside tips on the opponent's defensive calls from, and...

2) Does this call into question the validity of Dan Marnio's soon-to-be-defunct-anyway touchdown records?

So basically is Marino saying he couldn't read defenses? Brady and Manning point out where blitzes are coming from...because they were told? ....can't be since dungey is pure as driven snow and stated he wouldn't stoop to such a level. They both identify coverages and seem pretty successful:rolleyes: I guess danny needs to explain why he doesn't have a ring...

The Patriots players have said in the past that they keep a bulletin board of what people (especially players) say about them and use it as motivation on game days........

I think they have enough fodder to keep them focused for a while now......

Stick to nutrisystem fatass

I think the question was meant about the University of Miami. But one can deduct that if he did it @ 2 college schools he might have done it at the pro level too.

I think the question was meant about the University of Miami. But one can deduct that if he did it @ 2 college schools he might have done it at the pro level too.

Right, they were rattling-off colleges. I took it to mean The U.

Stick to nutrisystem fatass

Dan Marino -

Mr Stats, but loser never delivered the mighty Doofins to the promised land - sour grapes and jealousy. Keep it going Dan, you stay classy while your former Miami coach says he did it too.

fukwad loser

all this is conviniently ignored by ESPN and every else..they just concentrate on what -ve stuff everyone is saying...
media can really build up a team or destroy it

Many coaches have done it, but it's not like they get on the radio with their QB and say "hey this is their defensive call...". Anyone's who done it (recording coaches), sure as hell aren't using it to tell their QB the oppositions plays. Yet everyone wants to assume that BB was using it to tell Tommy the opponent's plays.

The lack of intelligence, common sense and logical thinking in all these mediots, players and coaches is ASTOUNDING. I mean honestly, they can't just be THAT much against BB and the pats can they? It has to just be that they are morons.

BB and the patriots coaching staff are one of very few groups in football that can actually USE the information they get from recording coaches. Not in any hugely significant way, and that's what pisses people off most. That is why everyone WANTS it to be about stealing signals. Because they have NO idea how to use the tape otherwise and it doesn't make any sense to them.

Excellent post. You'd expect more thoughtful analysis from ex-coaches and players. Instead they just blurt out the dumbest crap imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes