Welcome to PatsFans.com

Did I mention

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

that this guy was my favorite Republican?

CONTRARIAN COMMENTARY FOR SEPTEMBER 24, 2006

JOHN MCCAIN: BLOWHARD AND PHONY

THE DEATH OF A PRESIDENT: PART THREE

(WASHINGTON, DC) (September 24, 2006) When John McCain goes on national television today to defend his "victory" concerning treatment of prisoners in United States custody, he will become the latest casualty of the Bush Administration's "War on Terror."

John McCain's "presidency" dies today. His surrender to Bush Administration demands for broad power to torture prisoners disgraces him and makes him nothing more than just another blowhard and phony in Washington.

McCain's "compromise" makes a mockery of American principles of justice and humanity. And he has ripped off the good will and credibility of other notable Americans, such as Colin Powell, en route to his pathetic Pyrric victory.

The new Republican law demonstrates as well the utter bankruptcy and cowardice of the Democratic Party. Seemingly not one person of integrity serves in our congress, Senate or House, confident enough in his or her own decency to condemn the bloodthirsty legislation that is about to be passed.

I briefly worked in the U. S. Senate during the early stages of the Viet-Nam War. I saw brave senators stand up and tell President Johnson his policies were folly and would lead to disgrace and disaster. Which senator or representative will stand up and do likewise in 2006? Apparently no one.

The proposed law dishonors the office of President. President Bush, who styled himself the Decider-in-Chief, will now become, officially, the Torturer in Chief. The president is directed to superintend and supervise torture procedures. What possible sickness has descended on our capital, that our leaders have stooped to these barbaric procedures, and disgraced every American?

The new law seeks to eviscerate judicial review and the ancient writ of Habeas Corpus, the Great Writ that was cemented in common law by Magna Carta in the year 1215. Right-wing Republicans have conducted merciless hostilities against Habeas Corpus for decades; now they have focused on erasing the writ as a bulwark against unlawful detention.

The CIA, compromised and disgraced by Bush Administration incompetence in Iraq, now becomes the official site for torture and barbarism. And they want to recruit on college campuses? What will their ads say? Students! Join us and learn the latest techniques in torture and barbaric treatment of prisoners! We torture on a nondiscriminatory basis, guilty or innocent. Join us as we descend into bloodthirsty anarchy in the "War against Terror," and become carbon copies of the very savages we claim to be pursuing. Full benefits and liberal retirement.

What a disgrace.

McCain & Co are reducing America's intelligence service to nothing more than a thuggish operation in a Middle East or Banana Republic dictatorship. We are all diminished.

McCain promised he would fight for humane treatment of prisoners. He knows something about that, because he was tortured himself. Especially for him, who has endured torture, to endorse torture and enact torture into American law, sadly reflects how the lure of living in the White House has corrupted his decency and common sense.

To quote from the play by Robert Bolt, "A Man for All Seasons:"

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake! [Quotes courtesy of imdb.com]

We lionize Sir Thomas More centuries after his death because he knew there could be no compromise with evil, but that by becoming evil to fight evil we undermined our own souls. McCain has apparently forgotten what he learned as a prisoner in Viet-Nam.

The president wants the power to approve torture, to repeal laws, to muzzle courts. And to fight for "freedom and democracy." So, we will become a vile dictatorship to fight for freedom. Something is seriously sick in the Bush Administration, and now the pox has infected McCain, Senator John Warner and Senator Lindsey Graham.

But where are the Democrats? Cowering in fear they may be accused of being soft on terrorists? Where are their leaders?

Tony Snow said Bush already plans to violate the very law he is going to sign, and to approve secret torture sessions by the CIA, like Torquemada during the Inquisition.

I wish Bush would do the honest thing, and insist that the torture be conducted in the White House, so he would be accountable and personally supervise the barbaric techniques. He could reduce himself to the level of Saddam Hussein. U. S. Circuit Judge Richard Posner states in a recent book that if judges who authorize the death penalty had to push the button or insert the poisoned needle, there would be fewer executions. Yup.

Once we confess and admit how low we have fallen as a

society, the president can entertain White House visitors by inviting them to observe CIA torture sessions in the basement. Maybe we should televise our torture sessions, to make the public feel "safer" because barbarism is being conducted in the name of public safety. People would watch.

We will have become just as thuggish and just as malignant and just as evil as the Osamas and Zarqawis we pursue across the globe.

Like a scared child, McCain read the stories this week that said his pursuit of human rights was endangering his chances of being the Republican candidate for President in 2008 (Washington Post 9/19). So he panicked and abandoned human rights. Today he will try to lie to us, and tell us he really won significant protections. What hooey. What a pack of lies. McCain will confirm he is just another right-wing blowhard and phony, who milks the media for coverage as an honest man, and then quickly jettisons his conscience when it interferes with his political ambition.

McCain has tried to sashay around the Bush gang by not fully associating himself with the horrors of Bush II. Now he will have nowhere to hide. He may win the nomination by authorizing torture, but in the long run his perfidiousness will bear bitter fruit and possibly elect Hillary Clinton.

The Israelis have used torture; their Supreme Court has officially endorsed barbarism as a national policy. And what has it gotten them? Safety? Security? Peace? Not at all. By increasingly adopting the failed policies of the Israeli government we are repeating their tragic errors.

Torture, moreover, doesn’t work. Bush may claim it does, but does he have firsthand knowledge? Doubtful. He has little firsthand knowledge about what is happening anywhere in his administration. He does what he is told, and what he is told is that America must adopt barbarism as a national policy as a means of fighting barbarism. We must become beasts to fight beasts.

We must destroy the fabric of our society to protect our society. Not since the village of Ben Tre was destroyed during the Viet-Nam War to "save" it, have we seen such blatant official self-destructiveness.

We tortured prisoners in Viet-Nam. Did it help us win? Who would say so?

And now, once again, the American people are being led to the slaughter, as inevitably we will be slaughtered because of the stupidity and cowardice of our leaders. We will suffer the consequences of being made prisoners at home to "free" the world abroad. It won't work. We will only exacerbate the alienation and hostility that increasingly separate us from the rest of civilization.

By scaring us into adopting their tactics, the terrorists are winning. And today they claim their latest "prisoner:" POW John McCain, formerly of Hanoi, and now a prisoner of White House fever.

The McCain Presidency dies today. R. I. P.

These are dark days for America. With each day, desperate Republicans seek to demonize people of good will who support the war on terror but oppose allowing our government servants to become as evil as the enemy. Like McCain, the Republicans will win a hollow victory if they seek to smear Democrats on "terrorism" as a means of seeking victory in November.

Ultimately, America will become just what its most ridiculous enemies (such as Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez] claim we are: the world's biggest terrorist state.

Senator McCain, don't do it.

Andy Martin is the Executive Editor and publisher of ContrarianCommentary.com. He is a former assistant to U. S. Senator Paul H. Douglas (1966). © Copyright by Andy Martin 2006. Comments? E-mail: andymart20@aol.com; Media contact: (866) 706-2639.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

That's because he's only a pseudo Republican.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

I am a far right wing Flag Waving flaming neo con.

If McCain told me the sun was shining I would put on a raincoat.

McCain is not only a two faced phony, he is also a "Nut", his uncontrolable Temper is well known in Washington.

He belongs in the "Sore Losers Club" with the Uncle Teddy Gang, surely the Dingobats must now realize that they can never trust him, he's crazy.

4. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

CONTRARIAN COMMENTARY FOR SEPTEMBER 11, 2006

THE ONLY HEADLINE THAT FITS BUSH'S SPEECH: THE IMMORTAL "MORE MUSH FROM THE WIMP"

BUSH'S SPEECH REDRAWS THE MIDDLE EAST, REARRANGES THE REASONS FOR INVADING IRAQ, AND PROMISES A BRIGHT NEW FUTURE OF "FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY, ALL WHILE GUN RUNNING FOR THE ISRAELIS

IT'S TIME TO INVOKE THE 25TH AMENDMENT TO THE U. S. CONSTITUTION

BUSH: OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DRIVING MY POLICIES

(NEW YORK) (September 11, 2006) The United States is rather quickly descending into a malaise the likes of which we have not experienced since the President Jimmy Carter years. In 1980, the Boston Globe is said to have mistakenly run an editorial caption that stated, "Mush from the Wimp." Whether it was a mistake or not, the headline became a storied phrase in our politics. The Wall Street Journal later ran an editorial "More Mush From the Wimp."

Tonight's presidential address by George Bush can only be explained as "more mush from the wimp." The speech was not only illogical and contradictory; it was a disgraceful exploitation of the genuine grief felt by Americans for 9/11 victims, all in support of Bush's self-destructive policies in the "Middle East."

Bush thinks of himself as a quintessential "tough guy:" tough talk, tough action. Texas tough. Unfortunately, to use another Texas expression, GWB is "all hat and no cattle." Bush is really a Wizard of Oz-type, who seeks to exude confidence and power, but is really hollow and useless behind the curtain.

First, Afghanistan is not in the Middle East. It is a long way away from there. Bush needs a geography lesson.

Second, Bush revised his reasons for invading Iraq yet again, claiming that 9/11 made him invade Iraq because Saddam Hussein was a "risk." What about all the other risks in the world? Why Saddam? Who pushed him to bomb Baghdad first? In retrospect, the malignant Saddam was really doing America's bidding by keeping the Iranian regime at bay.

Bush invoked Beirut, Lebanon as part of his efforts for "freedom and democracy." Was he thinking of U. S. weapons of mass destruction that he hurriedly delivered to Israel to drop on helpless Lebanese last month? Bush's "freedom" apparently involves his "freedom" to deliver cluster bomb units ("CBU's).

The Palestinians, who voted in free elections, do not see

any fruits of their "democracy." Bush has ordained that the Israeli occupation and expropriation must continue endlessly. The Bush regime is even more retaliatory and regimented than the Chicago Democratic Party political machine.

Bush's claims were idiosyncratic to the point of creepiness. He said that if America left Baghdad, Osama Bin Laden would drive right in. The clear corollary of his argument was that fear of Osama Bin Laden is driving our policy in Iraq. Instead of minimizing Osama, Bush sought to make Bin Laden an overwhelmingly powerful influence on American policy. That doesn’t sound like "Bin Laden is beaten" to me.

Instead of minimizing the criminality of Al Qaeda and Bin Laden, Bush sought to make them a ferocious presence. Why? Because he wants to scare the American people into voting for his policies and his politics.

On and on the speech went. GWB claims to have driven the Taliban from power; apparently they haven't been told. The Taliban seems to be driving back in.

GWB claimed there is a "global network" of militant Islam. The reality is that while the Bush years have managed to manufacture new enemies for the United States, the concept of a "network," implying command, control and real linkage, is nonsense. Lots of people in the world have very real reasons to hate the United States. And they are not all connected in a "network." We may not know why they hate us; but our opponents know all too well by they hate us.

Finally, Bush should not quit his day job. He is a pale and helpless imitation of the Gipper. President Reagan used to lard his speeches with references to names and incidents, trying to connect the viewer to emotive events. But Reagan knew how to deliver a speech, with inflection, gesture, and sincerity, feigned or genuine. Bush's deadpan delivery dilutes the impact of Reaganisms to the point of disappearance. Rather sadly, Bush tried to claim credit for the suffering of his victims, through his photo op connections over the past couple of days.

Bush linked himself to Democrats, dead Democrats. Presidents Roosevelt and Truman were fellow travelers, Bush suggested; they were all in the war-making business together. To make the world free and democratic. Well. As Senator Lloyd Bentsen might have said if he were still alive, "President Bush, I knew President Truman. And you're no Harry Truman."

A few days ago I was reading an old newspaper from last year in my loobrary (don't ask). I often read old newspapers that sit in a pile until I get to them. What struck me was the headline story in last year's newspaper: Bush defending and defining his policies in the Middle East. He keeps trying and, the more he tries, the less we like it.

Maybe it's time to invoke the 25th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution and declare the offices of President and Vice President vacant. I'm not a great fan of my neighbor, Illinois' Denny Hastert, Speaker of the U. S. House, but we couldn't be any worse off with a former wrestling coach in the White House than we are with a wimp who thinks he's a tough guy.

Like Charlie Tuna in the classic Star-Kist commercials, America wants a real leader, not someone who thinks he's a leader. Bush is not a leader any more. He never was one. He is an embarrassment to every American and tonight's performance confirmed that fact. More mush from the wimp.

Yesterday I wrote a column castigating the Wall Street Journal for promoting "World War III." Tonight President Bush credited someone else with promoting the same phrase: Osama Bin Laden.

____________________________________________________.

Broadcaster and radio talk show host Andy Martin is the Executive Editor and publisher of ContrarianCommentary.com. © Copyright by Andy Martin 2006. Comments? E-mail: AndyMart20@aol.com. Media contact: (866) 706-2639. Andy is America’s most respected independent foreign policy, military and intelligence analyst. He is a Middle East expert who is Executive Director of the Revolutionary War Research Center. He has spent 36 years in and out of the Middle East and spent much of 2003 in Iraq.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I agree Harry...anyone who even considers voting for McCain needs their head examined. He's a righty version of Howard Dean in the lunatic area.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

McCain, FYI, was tortured by the VC as a POW in Vietnam. I'd trust his position on this issue before I'd trust some pencil pushing journalists. I love how people throw the term torture out there and don't discuss it's specifics. I happen to feel that there is a very distinguished difference between torture (as most know it) and coercive interogations. Playing the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is not torture. Simply asking for the information from jihadists is not going to get us any valuable information. Ther is clearly a line that cannot be crossed. Abusing detainee's would make for open season on all allied captives. I think we all understand that. However, asking politely isn't going to cut it.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

Does anyone know of an instance where US prisioners were treated according to the Geneva Conventions?

I don't.

In Korea (starvation, murder of prisioners), Viet Nam (starvation, torture murder) and with Al Queda (torture, murder, mulitation) in all instances US prisioners were tortured outside the scope of the GC. I don't see how the GC has protected American prisioners. I understand that we don't abuse our prisioners (by policy) and that when abuse occurs the perps are prosecuted.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Do the Crips & Bloods come under the Geneva Convention or the Hells Angels or the KKK, these f-cking Muslim Terrorists are nothing but a bloodthirsty Gang of criminal savages, torture them, get the information then put a bullet in the back of their scummy f-cking heads, thats what they do to their prisoners.

9. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

God Bless America!

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Well maybe I went a little overboard, not real bad torture, we could use the "ladies underwear on the head thing" and after they have talked they could be sent down to Gitmo to eat Leamon Chicken and throw feces at their guards.

No dog leash though, that picture made Auntie Pelosi "vomit" (she didn't bat an eye at the TV Beheadings)
    :bricks:

11. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

CONTRARIAN COMMENTARY FOR SEPTEMBER 27, 2006

GANGSTER NATION: THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION DECONSTRUCTS AMERICA

THE “CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS†THAT WILL SHAPE THE FUTURE

IS TAKING PLACE HERE AT HOME

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS: FASCISM IS ON THE WAY, WITH JOHN MCCAIN’S APPROVAL

(CHICAGO)(September 27, 2006) There is a defining clash of civilizations going on. But it is not between Islam and the West. No it isn’t. The clash is not between Shiite and Sunni in Iraq. No, not at all.

The clash of civilizations which will define the future is taking place here at home, in the United States. If the Bush Administration succeeds in deconstructing America and establishing an electoral dictatorship, America the “superpower†will slowly sink into irrelevance.

After the 2000 election we began to speak of “red†and “blue†states. But what is now at risk is the red, white and blue: the fabric of America as a society, as a civilization, as a force for good at home and abroad.

The current “detainee†provisions sought by President Bush will establish an electoral dictatorship and endanger the freedom of every American citizen; yes, every American citizen.

A bit of history here. I was trained as a lawyer at the University of Illinois. Shortly after I graduated from law school the Nixon Administration passed the “Organized Crime Control Act of 1970.†Congress hastily enacted a provision addressing “Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations,†or RICO. RICO was sold to the public as a law that would be used to fight “organized crime,†i.e. “the Mafia.â€

Since 1970, the criminal and civil provisions of RICO have been addressed to every conceivable kind of non-criminal activity, from anti-abortion protesters to matrimonial disputes, none of which have even the remotest relationship to the “Mafia†or Mafia-style criminal activity.

As a young corruption fighter I popularized “Civil RICO†remedies when I began suing corrupt business people and political organizations in Chicago. My pioneering lawsuits touched off a “civil RICO†revolution, and a flood of civil “racketeering†lawsuits followed. Thus, I know of what I speak. The moral of the story: laws which are sold to the public on one basis, can later be used, misused and abused in very different situations once they are actually on the statute books.

After 9/11 Congress passed the “Detainee Treatment Act.†The law was designed to empower public officials to impose mistreatment on prisoners. Now the Bush Administration has cowed president-to-be John McCain, and is on the verge of securing enactment of a law that will eventually lead to the detention of Americans by the U. S. Government.

Alternatively, the new prisoner legislation might be called the AIPAC Enthronement Act. Over the past decade Congress has relentlessly tried to choke off American support for the Palestinian national cause. Bogus criminal charges are used to harass Palestinian supporters. In the most celebrated charade, Sami Al-Arian was tried in a federal court in Tampa, Florida. A jury would not convict him.

Many pending and past “terrorist†cases were utter nonsense. But AIPAC and the pro-Israel lobby have been avid supporters of laws that could be used to criminalize advocacy of Palestinian nationalism, or even “the peace process,†and imprison American citizens who support a Palestinian state.

Mark my word, the proposed prisoner detention laws will be used in ways that can’t even be predicted. Scheming prosecutors and craven officials will use and misuse any power they are given to the ultimate limits. This time, moreover, the politicians are making sure meddlesome judges can’t block their fascist legislation. They are writing into law a prohibition on judicial review of government action. In short, Congress is acting as a helpless, puny adjunct to President Bush, by passing a series of laws that will ultimately be used to jail Americans and maybe even someday to jail congress.

Back to the red state/blue state clash of civilizations. The true war today is between Americans who believe that the best way to fight terror is to maintain our open society while vigorously counteracting terrorism, and Bush-style operatives who endorse fascism at home as the easy solution to fighting terrorism abroad. If Bush wins, America loses.

Bush, like every dictator before him, demands absolute power in order to fight “the enemy.†Yes, of course, even Hitler used a list of “enemies†to gain absolute control of Germany. If Bush gets what he is seeking in detainee legislation and related statutes, and if courts are rendered helpless to intervene, he will be an elected dictator. His actions will be supreme above everyone, including the Supreme Court and Congress. There will no checks and balances; Congress will have abandoned the last vestiges of a constitutional state.

Bush now has a track record: we can see how he has grossly abused his powers to degrade and corrupt the Army, the CIA and every agency which is essential to national defense. Torture, barbarism, “renditions†and other strained language have been used to create an Orwellian parallel universe to American society. At some point the parallel Orwellian state will overcome, merge into and take control of America itself.

When Bush is screaming for power to torture the architects of 9/11 it is seductive to join the cries. Who among us supports those attacks? Yet American legal history clearly teaches that laws passed to “torture†extremists will soon be bent to attack political foes and sincere opponents of the regime. Now that Bush/Congress have invented a new tactic—denying the courts authority to intervene--we have a proto-fascist state in the making. We are voluntarily deconstructing the institutions of our government and our society that make us a great nation.

I have written a critical analysis of John McCain’s capitulation to political ambition, in his surrender to the president on Bush’s demands for dictatorial prisoner abuse powers. McCain, if he reaches the White House, would not hesitate to apply these anti-terrorist laws to his domestic opponents. Nor, perhaps, would the Clintons. Our political class is concerned only with its own survival, expansion and aggrandizement, and nothing else at all.

Should we fight the war on terror? Absolutely. Imprison terrorists? Obviously. But we should do so while maintaining our own parallel society, our real society: America and life here as we know it, so that terrorism is ultimately defeated by both parallels, “smart†anti-terrorist tactics and the allure of our free and democratic institutions. It is nonsense for Bush to rail against “Islamofascism†while he is working to burrow deep into the legal fabric of America laws designed to give him absolute, dictatorial, fascistic powers.

If we fight terrorism using our strongest weapons—freedom and democracy and openness and tolerance—we cannot lose. If we fight terrorism with the grab-bag of narcissistic tools Bush is advocating, we have lost the war before it is over. Because we have lost the soul of America while claiming to save it.

Yes, there is a war of civilizations, a clash of civilizations, call it what you will. American civilization stands endangered by the relentless assaults of Dick Cheney, George Bush and all of their bullying fellow-travelers. Only if we preserve our own liberty can we lay claim to freeing others. Only when our Army and CIA maintain standards of treatment that we ourselves do not compare to terrorist benchmarks can we be sure of victory. Only if we fight against fascism at home can we be credible in seeking to extend our freedoms into the broader space.

And in this hour of maximum danger, both Democrats and Republicans have failed the nation. Bush’s toxic ****tail of anti-terrorist hemlock will boomerang and end up poisoning the American people. Bush will accomplish what the terrorists now only dream of: the deterioration and destruction of the last, best hope for humanity. I know where I stand. Do you know where you stand in this hour of maximum danger for our Constitution?

Once we become a gangster nation, ruled by a gangster elite that is accountable to no one and beyond the reach of any court, a return to the Constitution will be rendered almost impossible. Those who shout “Death to America†will have succeeded, but only because this great nation committed suicide and forfeited its historic legacy. The feckless heir to the Bush Dynasty will stand alongside Ozymandias in a poetic parallel of hubris, failure and disaster.

Chicago-based Internet journalist, broadcaster and critic Andy Martin is the Executive Editor and publisher of ContrarianCommentary.com. © Copyright by Andy Martin 2006. Comments? E-mail: AndyMart20@aol.com. Media contact: (866) 706-2639.