PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did having a shortened offseason matter when it came to selecting an OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silenthuntr7

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
We all know Belichick asks his OLBs to do a heck of a lot. They have to know what's going on, be ready to drop back, rush, contain, set the edge, all while the game's that much faster than college.

Is there any chance that BB thought that he'd be better served in getting an experienced guy (ala Manny Lawson) rather than a rookie who *may* have been going in blind?

(this does not, in any way, mean that I didn't want Robert Quinn. To me, he's a difference maker. But w/e...I'll be a Patriots fan either way.)

This is actually a huge point and makes the picks so far make a ton of sense.

Nate Solder OT - If Matt Light is back has a year to learn.
Ras-I Dowling CB - should be the 3rd-4th CB so will have time. May end up stashed on IR.
Shane Vereen RB & Steven Ridley RB - the easiest position to learn in NFL
Ryan Mallet QB - 3rd stringer to develop.

No one is under pressure to perform next year in this crazy offseason.

Kind words, good sir.

We'll see if BB makes the requisite moves in FA to back this point up, or if he's just really blind to the need at OLB.

Belichick isnt going to let any player on the field who doesnt know the situations. you cant just bring a guy into the game when all he knows is how to rush the passer, a good offense will abuse them.

Any OLB the patriots brought in from this draft would have minimal impact on the patriots overall.

whereas Vereen and Ridley can step in and contribute because their job pretty much is just, 'run here' or 'block him'.

When has BB drafted a 3 down OLB early in the draft?

Quite honestly these guys are high risk picks. More fail then succeed. I'd rather try to improve the position in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back