Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on Rodney's play
yesterday? He did have that bad penalty and it seemed because
he lost containment and it was desperation move on his part.
Has he lost a step? Is Sanders the better alternative.
Belichick didn't seem too pleased with the penalty.

Last edited:
Re: Harrison helped or hurt defense?

He committed the penalty because he slipped. Some of you people are way too reactionary to ONE play. Let him play more than a handful of snaps before you make topics like this.

The penalty was a smart move. He doesnt do it, and there's a wide open cleveland receiver with no one between him and the end zone.

The penalty was a smart move. He doesnt do it, and there's a wide open cleveland receiver with no one between him and the end zone.
If it was so smart why was Belichick apparently not pleased?

he committed a penalty and BB wasnt pleased. There is nothing more to it. He has committed a few in the past and other players have as well and BB isnt pleased then too. Lets not read too much into it.

If it was so smart why was Belichick apparently not pleased?

BB probably didn't even see what led to the penalty.

He's still better than Sanders which is why after three days back he got the majority of the snaps. And Bill is never pleased with penalties. That one seemed to have been somewhat accidental as he lost his plant footing in mid tackle.

I'm sure he wasn't too pleased with Junior's antics on the pick return, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a tremendous game and Bill wouldn't trade what he brings for the world...ditto Rodney.

in rez zone defense.... harrison was in there when the pats go that first INT. from what i saw... he was in there for alot of nickle package. I think Sanders should remain in their for the base 3-4 and ease Harrison in their and bring him in there for nickle as he matches up well against tight ends.

as for 5-6 weeks from now who knows. you could always split snaps or alternate series between Sanders and Harrison to keep them both fresh. the Pats have a similar dilmemma with Wilson and Merriweather. They shoould utilize their big margin victories with getting merriweather some game experience.

he committed a penalty and BB wasnt pleased. There is nothing more to it. He has committed a few in the past and other players have as well and BB isnt pleased then too. Lets not read too much into it.

True but I if he thought it was a "smart" play he probably wouldn't have
mentioned it.

True but I if he thought it was a "smart" play he probably wouldn't have
mentioned it.

i dont think it was a smart play and iam sure BB doesnt either.

He's still better than Sanders which is why after three days back he got the majority of the snaps. And Bill is never pleased with penalties. That one seemed to have been somewhat accidental as he lost his plant footing in mid tackle.

I'm sure he wasn't too pleased with Junior's antics on the pick return, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a tremendous game and Bill wouldn't trade what he brings for the world...ditto Rodney.
October 7, 2007
Rodney's snaps
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
Safety Rodney Harrison played in all 18 of the Patriots' defensive snaps in the fourth quarter.

In all, he played in 32 of the Browns' 67 offensive snaps, with more than half the snaps coming in the final quarter.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 04:08:46 PM | Link | E-mail | Comment

Maybe BB was giving Sanders a rest int eh 4th quarter or maybe he was giving Harrison some snaps to get back in the groove of things? who knows.... but we'll certainly find out next game against the Cowboys. but Sanders has shown himself more than capable.

:mad: Here's what I know I think....if I hear that phrase "lost a step" one more time, I'll go crazy! There is so much more to a good football player than speed. Sometimes I feel like there's this little back room committee of critics, hovering over tv monitors, waiting to see if any player over 30 "has lost a step". And I can't believe anyone who's watched Rodney play for us these past few years can seriously pose the question of if he helps or hurts our defense! I'll take an 75% Rodney over any other DB we have on the field!

October 7, 2007
Rodney's snaps
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
Safety Rodney Harrison played in all 18 of the Patriots' defensive snaps in the fourth quarter.

In all, he played in 32 of the Browns' 67 offensive snaps, with more than half the snaps coming in the final quarter.

But this is interesting. It was the 4thQ that Browns had their 2 TDs,
when Harrison was playing all the snaps? :confused:

Man this thread is so stupid. Penalties happen. Are you going to make a thread like this every time someone gets called for PI?

Last edited:
:mad: Here's what I know I think....if I hear that phrase "lost a step" one more time, I'll go crazy! There is so much more to a good football player than speed. Sometimes I feel like there's this little back room committee of critics, hovering over tv monitors, waiting to see if any player over 30 "has lost a step". And I can't believe anyone who's watched Rodney play for us these past few years can seriously pose the question of if he helps or hurts our defense! I'll take an 75% Rodney over any other DB we have on the field!

I think you may be a bit emotional on Rodney. At 75% I believe every
team PATs met would be going after him as the weak link. He better be
100% or pretty close to it.

It was his first game back. Might want to give him more then a few reps before you say he lost a step. Yahoo :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man this thread is so stupid. Penalties happen. Are you going to make a thread like this every time someone gets called for PI?

Really the point of the thread to get peoples opinion on Harrison's play
...not just the penalty. ;)

Let's put this in perspective:

On the Browns first drive, Harrison was the guy who knocked their guy out of bounds at the one yard line, saving a touchdown. Shortly after, the Pats INT'd and avoided a huge momentum shift and 7 points against.

Harrison is an upgrade over Sanders, but both are good, and at this point Sanders has more game time and may very well be sharper. That will change as Rodney sees more playing time. Gotta love the safety depth on this team.

Let's put this in perspective:

On the Browns first drive, Harrison was the guy who knocked their guy out of bounds at the one yard line, saving a touchdown. Shortly after, the Pats INT'd and avoided a huge momentum shift and 7 points against.

Harrison is an upgrade over Sanders, but both are good, and at this point Sanders has more game time and may very well be sharper. That will change as Rodney sees more playing time. Gotta love the safety depth on this team.

Good point on Harrison's play but he did not play much in the first three
quarters but played all the 4th Q when Browns scored their 2 TDs. It
seemd the secondary did not play well in the 4thQ. Why?
The fact Harrison was in there that whole Quarter brings up a question.
Was the secondary less effective with him in there? Seems so.

Last edited:
I think you may be a bit emotional on Rodney. At 75% I believe every
team PATs met would be going after him as the weak link. He better be
100% or pretty close to it.

No, not emotional, just appreciative of his instincts, and football awareness. It puts him, in the right place, at the right time, more often than our less experienced players. It's the reason he's the one they want calling the coverage out there. It's his first game back, relax and enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down