PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Cunningham show enough to keep him on the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D *** Self Congratulatory Spew Alert!! *** :D

I must say that witnessing the rejuvenation of Jermaine Cunningham, this Summer, has been one of my more gratifying experiences: The majority were clearly convinced the kid was down and out, right up until a month ago ~ and some'f you have owned up to that, which says a lot about you!!
beer.gif

I, on the other hand, am proud to boast that I never doubted the kid for a second, and even defended him, twice or thrice, hereabouts, just as I stood up for my PreDraft Super Binkie, Brandon Spikes, last year!! :D

"I Congratulate Myself!!"

PRINCE_OF_FOXES-11.jpg

I think some on this board and in the media have answered your question, Finnish. He only played a handful of snaps last season before being IRed, so he has had very little game snaps and the preseason was one way to get him more live action before the games are for real. Therefore, I don't think working as much as he did is an indication that he is not safe.

Thans for filling me in. Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Perhaps they also wanted to test his durability as a every down DE.

I was something of a Cunningham homer in 2010. It's amazing how many people think he did nothing his rookie year. He started all but the first game and started the trend in 2010 of making Michael Oher look like a fool at LT. My knock on him what that he was an average athlete; he knew his job and did it reasonably well. Setting the edge, coverage, etc. was where he was starter quality, but nobody was worried about his burst or his engine in the pass rush.

started the trend in 2010 of making Michael Oher look like a fool at LT.

Didn't he draw a personal foul at the end of the game/in OT as well as a couple of holding calls and false starts?

I like Cunningham his rookie year, he got to Manning's arm on the game sealing pick in that game it's just that's the closest he ever seemed to get, he was just that half step slow.

Last edited:
If we keep 9 DT's and DE's he has to make it. He was our best D player the entire preseason - and enough was against 1st teams. When going against 2nd/3rd teams, he looked even better, but he should, so that might help him. If he keeps it up, I have to agree that he may be a starter and have an impact. He was in danger and played like it, hope he never forgets the feeling.

agreed. people tend to play harder when they feel they are in danger. when they play hungry. hopefully that hunger propels cunningham to his best season yet with the Pats. He is definitely making the 53. The question is what impact will he make with that hard earned roster spot? And yes cunningham has earned that spot with his training camp and performances in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes