PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Cunningham show enough to keep him on the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised that Cunningham showed more quickness and agility than he did before and his efforts may have earned him a spot on the 53,but my question is ....
why was a former high round pick just a few years ago still out there playing against the scrubs in a final preseason game in the final few minutes?

I am aware that you can't sit everyone but .....

It seemed odd to me,I am not sure he is a lock to make this team,he may still be on the bubble.

Last edited:
He's played well all pre-season, won an award for his off-season work and looked good during TC, I'd say he's pretty safe.

Add to that he got sacks from 3 different positions yesterday he's showing something BB loves - versatility.

I was pleasantly surprised that Cunningham showed more quickness and agility than he did before and his efforts may have earned him a spot on the 53,but my question is ....
why was a former high round pick just a few years ago still out there playing against the scrubs in a final preseason game in the final few minutes?

It seemed odd to me,I am not sure he is a lock to make this team,he may still be on the bubble.
Cunningham showed more than enough to make the roster. I'm tired of hearing how Cunningham was a bust, he was hurt his second year. All those posters who said he was a bust and should be cut should do a Mia Culpa.

He's almost certainly in.

Cunningham showed more than enough to make the roster. I'm tired of hearing how Cunningham was a bust, he was hurt his second year. All those posters who said he was a bust and should be cut should do a Mia Culpa.

relax.....it was preseason

he has looked as good as he ever has, but right now, I would take trevor scott over him

and as a 2nd round pick, yeah.....he's still a bust

They sat the starters, not all the back ups. There were plenty of players who played early in the game who have no fear of losing their job (Tavon Wilson, Dowling, etc.). I think Cunningham is one of them.

If Cunningham isn't your DE #3 when playing a 4 man line then who is?

yes.

Yes he did.

Would be a shock if he were cut

I never doubted him for one minute. :D

Last edited:
Short answer . . . yes.

They sat the starters, not all the back ups. There were plenty of players who played early in the game who have no fear of losing their job (Tavon Wilson, Dowling, etc.). I think Cunningham is one of them.

I am not talking about playing in the game but in the final few minutes of it... I believe that a lot of these guys playing in the final few minutes are the ones that may be evaluated a little more deeply and are close to making it or not.

Yes he showed plenty...he is on the roster or traded, but I don't see why they would trade him.

Cunningham has stepped up this pre season. He played really well last nite showing speed-bursts like man who could be cut at any given minute. If he is here or gone, I'm cool either way BB wants to go.

Impossible to say. The way the coaches evaluate players is so different than what we see on the surface that while he looked really good he may have been doing things we don't see that cause them to look at it differently. on the surface he looked good from what i saw and i would like to see him make it. Hate to see second rounders that don't pan out.

How is this even a question?

He is a lock. He will play significant minutes. He lost all of last year, so game time experience is big.
By the way, the sack he had in the first quarter was from the nickel DT spot. That could mean nothing, or it could mean a lot in terms of how we will approach nickel DL.

He fought through some double teams too like when he broke Vick.

Easily; as others have said they could've been leaving him in to help get him more game experience, but they also could have been evaluating him for reasons besides roster spots.

He's easily been the best DE this pre season other than Jones. It's not even a question, he's on the 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes