PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Brady's frankness possibly hurt the Patriots in Cassel trade negotiations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if Tom felt that there was any possibility of a setback before camp and that he did not think he was going to be ready for TC then he would be slowly working out and then resting daily trying to strengthen his leg and stay away from any media type activity like he did in this interview

It does not make sense that if Tom were not expected to be back early would he then be allowed by his doctors to play golf and take a chance on a setback and missing another season - I believe he is on track for TC unless he hurts himself by falling or another accident before then

That's as legitimate a read as any and I can't say it's wrong.

The challenge is that none of us can know what any workout regime or alternative regime actually means. I don't think that playing golf says much one way or the other...it's a pretty low hurdle and it's now nearly six months since his surgery so not being able to play would say a lot more than does his being able to play.

Young is thinking that teams are looking at this by thinking that if this is true and Brady is ready for camp or even sooner, then the Pats want no part of keeping two high priced QBs and will take whatever they could get with a reasonable offer from other teams interested in Cassel to loosen the cap $$ - interesting way of looking at it

on the other hand if cassel was on the trading block doesnt that automatically mean that brady is okay and pats dont need both of them ?i doubt the pats would listen to offers at all for cassel if they knew brady wasnt going to ready on opening day

I never understood the idea that Brady's health would affect Cassel negotiations. If anybody is actually fooled temporarily while wanting to trade for Cassel that he has value to us for this year, wouldn't they think for a second and realize that if we DID really need him we wouldn't be TRADING HIM AWAY?

something tells me brady knows wut hes doing....

The premise behind the article is to illustrate that if the other teams hear Brady is doing well then they would expect NE would be more apt to taking any decent offer before it got too late than none at all and risk keeping 30M on the cap with 2 QBs - But if it is more than one team interested then a trade would become auction-like

The flaw in that is that the team that wants Cassel wants him, and have a price they are willing to pay. They won't not pay it and not get their guy because they think the Patriots should take because of the cap. Teams wanting Cassel to be their QB will pay what it takes. Granted they may try to lowball because ultimately he has more value to them than the Pats, but what they are willing to pay is based on Cassel's worth to them, not the PAts cap situation.

Only if the rest of the league is really as stupid as we make them out to be.

I agree. Of course, they only need one GM to be that stupid... makes you wish Millen still had a job.

The only way it would affect Cassel's trade value is if some team were so desperate to get Cassel that they were willing to give a Hershal Walker type of deal to get him. Which is unlikely.

The increased likelihood that Brady may be back as soon as minicamp didn't change the fact that this is a QB starved league, Cassel is a potential franchise QB for another team, the draft is very weak at QB, and Cassel being the best option of all the available QBs to accept. Cassel's trade value is as high as it has always been.

...Granted they may try to lowball because ultimately he has more value to them than the Pats, but what they are willing to pay is based on Cassel's worth to them, not the PAts cap situation.

Absolutely. In this situation, the market will drive the price. Cassel is worth what other teams decide he is worth to them. What he might or might not be worth to the patriots is irrelevant.

Without the cap and tag, I would see this more as a normal negotiation, where one has to first determine what the Pats might be ready to pay him, but that is, for all practical purposes, irrelevant in this case.

It is so highly probable that he is worth $30--35MM guaranteed to another team than that he is worth that amount to the Pats (with a healthy Brady) that arguing over exactly what he is "worth" to the Pats is irrelevant. The number of bidders and their respecitve profiles will have far more impact on the final price than what he might or might not be worth to the Patriots in this case.

The fact that the Pats have let Brady say that he is on track for next season (the chances that he said that without approval are next to nil) suggests strongly that they want other teams to start getting serious as they consider what they will offer for him. Timing that for the combine is no accident.

The Pats appear to be taking an efficient and businesslike approach to this negotiation, effectively saying, "OK, Brady's fine and we're shopping Cassel. Everyone and his mother knows we don't want to keep him with Tommy healthy. So you decide what he's worth to you. You know we're a very smart organization, so you be smart in how you bid. And he's going to the highest bidder outside of the Division."

The thing I keep coming back to is the question would Belichick trade for Matt Cassel? I don't think he would ... at most Belichick would give a #2 and a #3 or #4 next year. I think there are more Belichick's out there. Cassel's value may be a #1 and a #2 but I don't see us getting it.

The thing I keep coming back to is the question would Belichick trade for Matt Cassel? I don't think he would ... at most Belichick would give a #2 and a #3 or #4 next year. I think there are more Belichick's out there. Cassel's value may be a #1 and a #2 but I don't see us getting it.

BB did trade a 2nd + for Welker when he wasnt a "proven entity", I think if he felt he had a need at qb he would trade for cassel.

No serious-minded personnel guy in the NFL thinks the Patriots are NOT trading Cassel, so NO, I don't think Brady's frankness does ANYTHING. This is another silly, silly thread.

Anyone that is negotiating a trade with us knows we don't need Cassel. If we needed him, we wouldn't be talking to teams about trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back