PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Brady make the ENTIRE team look better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Pj, he couldn't in February and he actually couldn't nearly as much in December and January, either. Moss was single covered today, he ought to get open. That still doesn't guarantee a connection since the OL has to give the QB time to make a decent deep throw and the WR has to make a play on the ball when he does. The throw Tommy went down on was a slow developing one to Moss, that he fumbled after the fact...

I guess I just assume that Brady would have connected on some of those chances that Cassel blew. I guess we'll never know, but I just can't imagine that the team could have gone from so great to so bad if Brady was still at the helm. This is the team that the Pats absolutely destroyed a little more than a year ago when everyone was healthy. If they would have lost like this even with Brady in there today (which I doubt), then I have to ask "what the heck happened?"

i didn't mean to start a thread saying that brady made the patriots win more games and look better overall. that is obvious lol. i just feel like his play covered up a lot of holes on this club. without him, everyone can see that we are weak on offense and defense.

i'm starting to wonder whether TB made the ENTIRE patriots team (offense, special teams and defense) look better than it really was. I realize he doesn't play D or special teams, but a team with this much talent should not play as badly as we did. Consider:

1. Brady's ability to avoid sacks and make quick passes makes the offensive line look better. without him, the oline looks average (see brady high ankle sprain and super bowl 42 for proof).

2. brady makes the defense play more confident knowing that if they stuff the other team brady has the ability to score a lot of points.

3. randy actually trying or making a block

it just seems like the whole team has given up on the season, including the coaching staff (except mcdaniels).

if we go 4-12 this year, it will just add to Brady's legacy as one of the top 2 or 3 QBs of all time. How can you go 16-0 and not know what you are doing the following season? I thought the D would at least step up. If this were really a good "team," then we should be able to put someone in brady's place and continue to play well.

Did brady's superb playing cover up the holes on the rest of the team?
i used to think this about michael vick on atl

he'd go out and it seemed to deflate the entire falcons team

could that be what is happening to your defense?

i've never seen a belichik coached pats defense play this bad as i have the past few pats games.

i didn't mean to start a thread saying that brady made the patriots win more games and look better overall. that is obvious lol. i just feel like his play covered up a lot of holes on this club. without him, everyone can see that we are weak on offense and defense.

That's exactly what some of us said already. Brady was like spackle-he nicely covered up a lot of cracks and holes that with him gone have become glaring problems. Now we've got an imperfect QB trying to win with an imperfect team, and a bunch of people who expect a backup QB to adapt to and fix all these problems- or worse-a bunch of people who expect a rookie to do the same. On the flip side, some are expecting an imperfect team to adapt to a backup QB (or a rookie) when that same team had problems playing even with Brady.

None of these scenarios are going to work immediately-the question is will any of them work at all this year, or do we just have to grind it out and hope for the best (improvement) until some of these other issues get fixed.

I guess in some ways Brady's injury has been a real eye opener; BB's getting a good look at what he's really got, sans the sugar coating.

That's exactly what some of us said already. Brady was like spackle-he nicely covered up a lot of cracks and holes that with him gone have become glaring problems. Now we've got an imperfect QB trying to win with an imperfect team, and a bunch of people who expect a backup QB to adapt to and fix all these problems- or worse-a bunch of people who expect a rookie to do the same. On the flip side, some are expecting an imperfect team to adapt to a backup QB (or a rookie) when that same team had problems playing even with Brady.

None of these scenarios are going to work immediately-the question is will any of them work at all this year, or do we just have to grind it out and hope for the best (improvement) until some of these other issues get fixed.

I guess in some ways Brady's injury has been a real eye opener; BB's getting a good look at what he's really got, sans the sugar coating.

i guess now we are finally seeing what this team is made up of. it looks like tommy carried this team and everyone went on for the ride. now the players don't know who or what to latch onto.

is it possible that brady made belichick into the coach that he is today? think about it - belichick had an average record with bledsoe, who was by all measures a decent qb. now, the entire team looks lost - not just the offense.

Tom Brady is possibly the Best QB to ever play the game - Even if you are a absolute HATER you have agree he's Top 5 of all time - Anything outside of that and your hate/jealousy and love for your own team has clouded your judgement.

That being said, why would you even question if he made the entire team play better? It's like having Tiger Woods in your 4-some, everyone is going to play better.

However, The big difference I see this year is the inability to change the game plan at the Half (or whenever) to adapt and fight back. It's the weirdest damn thing I have ever seen, after watching Bill all these years changing the plan and shutting down the other teams strengths, I don't get what's going on here.

Tom Brady doesn't make the entire team "look" better, he makes the entire team BETTER.

Anyone who has played organized football on a team with a very good QB knows how it makes everyone confident and kokkie. Anyone who says Brady doesn't make everyone better just doesn't understand football.

Tom Brady is possibly the Best QB to ever play the game - Even if you are a absolute HATER you have agree he's Top 5 of all time - Anything outside of that and your hate/jealousy and love for your own team has clouded your judgement.

That being said, why would you even question if he made the entire team play better? It's like having Tiger Woods in your 4-some, everyone is going to play better.

However, The big difference I see this year is the inability to change the game plan at the Half (or whenever) to adapt and fight back. It's the weirdest damn thing I have ever seen, after watching Bill all these years changing the plan and shutting down the other teams strengths, I don't get what's going on here.

i've never played football before so i don't know what it's like to have a qb make everyone on the team, including the coaching staff, look better.

BB? I think he's doing all he can, in fact I think he fully realizes all the problems but how does he fix them? Like-what is it he could possibly do differently than what he's been doing all along? BB's got his eye ahead,we're still 3-2 which,all things considered,isn't exactly shabby. Losing Brady's had a much bigger impact than any of us were willing to admit early on, and I think BB's adjusting along with it as best he can.

My question is--would we have drafted differently or used FA differently had we known Brady was going to be out,or did we plan everything with that contingency in mind? I'm thinking OL specifically,but ? We definitely shored up the run game probably counting on Cassel doing a ton of dink and dunks, but originally maybe we +/- structured this team around Brady?

I dunno...I'm no football guru so my brains are falling out thinking too deeply on this:bricks:.

BB? I think he's doing all he can, in fact I think he fully realizes all the problems but how does he fix them? Like-what is it he could possibly do differently than what he's been doing all along? BB's got his eye ahead,we're still 3-2 which,all things considered,isn't exactly shabby. Losing Brady's had a much bigger impact than any of us were willing to admit early on, and I think BB's adjusting along with it as best he can.

My question is--would we have drafted differently or used FA differently had we known Brady was going to be out,or did we plan everything with that contingency in mind? I'm thinking OL specifically,but ? We definitely shored up the run game probably counting on Cassel doing a ton of dink and dunks, but originally maybe we +/- structured this team around Brady?

I dunno...I'm no football guru so my brains are falling out thinking too deeply on this:bricks:.

After all that we have been blessed with, I have no problem with the old Red Sox fan motto...

Wait 'til next year!

i guess now we are finally seeing what this team is made up of. it looks like tommy carried this team and everyone went on for the ride. now the players don't know who or what to latch onto.

is it possible that brady made belichick into the coach that he is today? think about it - belichick had an average record with bledsoe, who was by all measures a decent qb. now, the entire team looks lost - not just the offense.

Yes-you need the PROPER personnel to run your SCHEME. Belichick should at least deserve alot of credit for bringing in Brady-it had nothing to do with "luck".

The same could be said for Bill Walsh-what IF he didn't "luck out" with Joe Montana in the draft? And for that matter Jerry Rice as well? Would the Niners have been the team of the 90's? Subsequently, look at how badly Walsh failed at Stanford afterwards.

Or what if Bill Parcells had Tony "turnover machine" Romo while with the NY Giants? Would we have won a pair of Super Bowls?

Bingo. Maybe there are adjustments that either we're not seeing or those adjustments just aren't working, but yep-the ability to make adjustments is one of the major contributors to their past successes. It's the lack of apparent adjustments that I find the most disconcerting of all, but I'm hoping that's due to my readily-admitted lack of knowledge.

To be perfectly honest I'm almost happy Tom wasn't in for that performance by his team, we'd be laughingstocks right now.
If Tom WAS there I highly doubt the game would have went the way it did.

Man. I have played with good QB's and bad QB's and it made all the difference in the world at times. Have the lead and being able to control the ball really helped the defense.

Brady changed the gameplanning of other teams. our D benefited from other team offenses have to play catchup or try to keep up with them

What's the list of very good WR's Brady has played with other than Moss and Welker that were good before and after they stopped playing with the brady??

Troy Brown.... ANYONE ELSE?

Last edited:
Tom Brady is a "once in a generation" QB and one of the four or five best all time. So, yes, he made everyone around him look or play better. But, I don't think this team has "given up" on the season nor do I think we can make the judgment that Cassel is a total bust just yet.

Last edited:
No, Brady did not make the entire team look better.
I disagree. Tom of course made the offensive team look better. He made the defensive team look better too, by extending drives and changing what opposing offenses would do. Do you think the Chargers would have used the quick strike as much if TB was around. Nope. They would have been more concerned with keeping TB of the field. Special teams? Hmmm, probably made them look better too, football IS a game of emotion, especially STs. TB and his toughness and success fed that. He is probably the single most important player to any team in the NFL.

Tom Brady is a "once in a generation" QB and one of the four or five best all time. So, yes, he made everyone around him look or play better. But, I don't think this team has "given up" on the season nor do I think we can make the judgment that Cassel is a total bust just yet.

I agree. The hard part with cassel is now growing pains. and in the end, he might turn out to be "ok" or he may never get better than he is now.

No, Brady did not make the entire team look better.

But having the WORST QB in the league sure makes the team look bad.

Really? Did you watch TV last year?

Tom Brady is the team. Several people last night at my party all said the same, non of which were even Pats fans. They all agreed that Brady brought that spark in the team. The defense knew that if they stopped the oposing team, Brady would move the offense and score points. Now with Cassel, the defense knows that their hard work will pay off with another 3 and out. The defense does not seem to play with any emotion, no wonder when your offense cant generate any points. Seems as if they feel they are wasting their time. I am sure Moss feels the same. A QB change is needed at some point if Cassel cannot get this offense more points. He has had only 3 TD's in 5 games. Brady had that many in just one game. I never expected nor compared Cassel with Brady but what I've seen so far this season doesn't look promising.

Yes, Brady made the team look better. It tells you how great he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back