PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Borges finally drink the kool-aid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Either Borges upped his meds or he has finally drank the Kool-Aid, read the article kept waiting for the other shoe to fall, but it didn't. I agree completely with this article, have said since the injuries began that this season, no matter the outcome, would define BB as one of the greatest coaches ever.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/01/01/this_ballot_is_for_belichick/

None of these other coaches had to rebuild a coaching staff after losing their two most trusted lieutenants. None saw 60 percent of their offensive line go down with injury, nor had to install two rookies on that line. None faced situations in their secondary and at inside linebacker as severe as the ones Belichick had to sort out (although it was his missteps in personnel that created them in the first place).

The easiest thing in the world would have been for Patriots players and coaches to fold their cards at some point and conclude, ''It's not our year. We already won three Super Bowl rings." They didn't, which is a credit to everyone involved, but when you are the captain of the ship, it tends to go where you steer it, and despite starting 45 players, having a different defensive backfield on seven straight weekends, losing three of his five starting offensive linemen for a time, watching Corey Dillon limp through the season at half of what he was a year ago, and spending six weeks without Tedy Bruschi and a month without Richard Seymour, Belichick more than kept things afloat.

Winning when you have two of the best teams in the league, as Dungy and Holmgren are doing, is not easy and deserves credit. But continuing to win after long-term success with a depleted lineup and a coaching staff that was without the heads of both its offense and defense seems a far more daunting task. Bill Belichick completed it, whether or not his team wins the season's final game. This was his finest hour. For that he deserves to have the ballot checked in his favor.

GJAJ15 said:
Either Borges upped his meds or he has finally drank the Kool-Aid, read the article kept waiting for the other shoe to fall, but it didn't. I agree completely with this article, have said since the injuries began that this season, no matter the outcome, would define BB as one of the greatest coaches ever.

Borges wrote...
>>>>Who has done more under adverse conditions than Bill Belichick, who not only lost 44 man-games from his starters because of injury (45 if you count Tedy Bruschi this afternoon) but also had to cope with losing his offensive and defensive coordinators?

If you define a man-game as every time a starter misses a game, he's way off on his facts. (that's a shocker) Rodney missed about 10 games as has Randall Gay so that would be 20+ man-games right there. Add in the offensive line injuries forcing them to install the rookies and you have 44 man-games right there.
If they only lost 44 man-games as he called them, that would work out to about 2.75 starters per game. Add in Tedy, Seymour, the RBs and you're well, well above that number......
I thought they had lost 44 starters, meaning that every time a replacement went down and they had to bring in a new starter, it counted as a starter going down. That would come out ot about 5 or 6 at SS and none at QB or kicker.
If you use the traditional defintion of man-games, I think they'd be well over 100 but I'm not in the mood to calculate.....
Just my $0.02,

I am shocked and chagrined

Attachments

• kool aid_Borges.jpg
    kool aid_Borges.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 13
(although it was his missteps in personnel that created them in the first place).

I agree with most here except this line. It was not BB fault that Bruschi had a stroke and TJ retired just before camp. Now the replacements did not work out well, but I am sure he thought he would have more time to work them in.

It's good to see him give BB some praise although he tempers it by comparing Chicago's D to the 86 Bears and 2000 Ravens rather than the 03 or 04 Pats.

Nfl.com has its own thoughts on Coach of the Year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9122131

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill