PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Belichick Just Complete a Switch to a 4-3 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust in BB while more teams compete for the players for the 3-4 system he now looks at 4-3 players I would like to see how much we play hybrid DE/LB's rather than try DE's more so on teams like the colts where manning can stand in the pocket with the pressure just like tom and still make the read and the pass even if its the check down to addai where having them kind of guys can be more useful.

I could maybe buy that Belichick, after seeing Ty Jackson (best-case scenario: Seymour-lite) go #3 overall, realized that he's just not going to be able to maintain the level of D-Line talent that's necessary to run his 3-4. There's simply too much demand for such a specific, rare type of player.

I hate to say it, but the way you described the personell makes me think tampa 2 (which I hate)

It makes sense that he would switch to a 4-3, since disciples McDaniels, Mangini, Pioli have all switched to a 3-4 defense and compete for the same players. There may now be better value for BB to go after 4-3 players.

Theres still 20 4-3 teams to 12 3-4 teams.

4-3 is here. You can take it to the bank.

The question, Mr. Synovia, is whether it's more difficult to find/draft prototypical 3-4 linesmen/outside linebackers, in comparison to their 4-3 counterparts with the burgeoning of 3-4 teams in the NFL?

-Jamman

The question, Mr. Synovia, is whether it's more difficult to find/draft prototypical 3-4 linesmen/outside linebackers, in comparison to their 4-3 counterparts with the burgeoning of 3-4 teams in the NFL?

-Jamman

And thats a very good question, its not what the previous poster was thinkgin about though.

I hate to say it, but the way you described the personell makes me think tampa 2 (which I hate)

Oh god I can't stand tampa 2 defense. I'm hoping it will be more like our version of Giants/Eagles defense. Not sure if we have personnel for it but I would love to see high pressure defense along with our high scoring offense. It would make sense.

Isn't the imbalance in college much higher, like 3-1 in favor of 4-3, at least?

The pool of 3-4 college linebackers has always been small.

Possible...

I'd say likely, but that is just me.

I could maybe buy that Belichick, after seeing Ty Jackson (best-case scenario: Seymour-lite) go #3 overall, realized that he's just not going to be able to maintain the level of D-Line talent that's necessary to run his 3-4. There's simply too much demand for such a specific, rare type of player.

I agree 100% with this, Ty Jackson was a HUGE reach at #3. With so many rebuilding teams ( ie crappy ) switching to the 3-4 all the good 3-4 prospects will get drafted before us. Good 3-4 two gap DE & especially OLB's are very very hard to come by.

Like another poster said I'd like to see us switch to a more aggressive attacking style defense. With our offense putting up tons of points an attacking D thats gets after the QB is the way to go imo.

Considering that almost every college in the country runs a base 4-3, of course it's easier to find 4-3 prospects.

Alabama runs a 3-4, but there aren't a whole lot of other top-level programs that do. Some, but not many. I know Virginia does because of Al Groh, but I'm blanking on any others. Hmmm... anyone know of some more?

Last edited:
This title makes sense if vince wilfork was traded for a 290 lb speed rusher ......

This title makes sense if vince wilfork was traded for a 290 lb speed rusher ......

Why, are you referring to a certain Carolina player?

This team is set for 4-3 even with Wilfork, who was a beast DT in a 4-3 scheme at Miami.

Why, are you referring to a certain Carolina player?

This team is set for 4-3 even with Wilfork, who was a beast DT in a 4-3 scheme at Miami.

Nope i am referring to a freenry,mario williams , smith,peppers ,dumerville etc etc speed rusher who are around 290 pounds and have a speed. THe fast DT we have green is no where close to these guys. So you are happy giving up pass rush. We are not going to help our CB by sacrificing speed.

Burgess is 260 and has not latest a season playing on the line against tackles every down.same will hold true for banta. Asking a 260 LB guy to bang heads with a 310 LB OT is sure way to IR.

So the only way would be to play AD on the line with burgess/banta and woods on the other side.
I really fell puttting 2 of the top 6 DT in the play is bad.

then in LB we will have mayo.guyton and alexender. Woods sometimes but you are keeping wright
brace, wright and green on the bench so you can play 4-3

Last edited:
Shockt found some great information that supports something else I was going to add:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...e-played-base-3-4-just-15-time-last-year.html

I'm not surprised that last year we only used 3-4 for 150 out of 1000 snaps (15%).

The point I intended to make right before I scanned the forum and saw Shockt's great supporting info, was that I think Belichick is making the focus of the defense around Mayo and Wilfork, who are two stud players for a 4-3 defense. Wilfork was a beast as a 4-3 DT in college, and Mayo was a sideline to sideline MLB in college. Since there is no legit strongside ILB on the roster now to play 3-4 to protect Mayo, Belichick is going to make Mayo the star of his defense and play to his strengths.

This could be very similar to how even though we had Seymour in 2001, we played Seymour in mostly 4-3 in 2001, and switched to a full 3-4 in 2002 to play to Seymour's strengths as a hybrid d-lineman. Similarly, in Mayo's first year, we had him in the 3-4 but maybe BB had it in mind to go to 4-3 to play to Mayo's strengths.

Another point I just thought of, is whether Belichick's trade of Seymour was in any way related to Bruschi's retirement, knowing that he didn't have that strongside ILB to play next to Mayo anymore.

Last edited:
So the only way would be to play AD on the line with burgess/banta and woods on the other side.
I really fell puttting 2 of the top 6 DT in the play is bad.

then in LB we will have mayo.guyton and alexender. Woods sometimes but you are keeping wright
brace, wright and green on the bench so you can play 4-3

Not sure I follow you.

Wright, Burgess, BantaCain, and Green can play 4-3 ends, and it's likely that Warren and Brace could play both DT and DE.

There are plenty of 4-3 defenses in the league who don't have that elite DE that you want, and are still successful on defense.

yes!
this defense is now more suited for 4-3 but is it because there are not that many good LBs on the roster, or BB thinks the pass rush of Jarvis green and Thomas is good enough? The problem with 4-3 defense is that they can't disguise formation as much.

yes!
this defense is now more suited for 4-3 but is it because there are not that many good LBs on the roster, or BB thinks the pass rush of Jarvis green and Thomas is good enough? The problem with 4-3 defense is that they can't disguise formation as much.

The legendary 2001 Cinderella team was a 4-3 defense, and that seemed to befuddle many opponents with different looks while still being a 4-3 D.

There are plenty of 4-3 defenses in the league who don't have that elite DE that you want, and are still successful on defense.

i agree but for that you are banking on your corner to help the pass rush by good coverage to let your slower DT to get to the QB to generate pressure.

with the young cb i am afraid to put the emphasis on this guys to help the DL. I beleive have a strong DL and OLB in thomas to bring the heat.
DL should line brace at LT and try to free up thomas via game plan.Play unbalanced line by moving green to the RT side and playing woods their with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes