PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Belichick decide to go for some NFL bloodlines in the late rounds of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It seems wierd that not only did this team select one guy with some bloodlines from a relative in the NFL but 2 guys in the same draft seems beyond coincidental especially since these two guys were almost not even on radar anywhere.

Was this draft so weak in the eyes of the FO that bloodlines from 2 players (Bo's Brother having a breakout season in 2007 Barrett Ruud and Matt's dad HOFer Jackie Slater) was a key to hoping that somehow it was worthwhile to take a shot on them playing like thier relatives?

May seem crazy to some of you but its the only logical explanantion to me - The odds of 1 team drafting 2 or more players in one draft that had relatives playing pro ball before has got to be monumental odds - I do not remember it happening in NFL history by the same team doing it.

Like I said,Maybe this draft was so bad that taking a chance on these two guys was a shot when there was no worthy player after round 3

If they DO perform like thier relative counterparts then the gamble will have paid off and a steal above all steals in NFL history will be accomplished.

If I had to pick between the two of who makes it,I would say Bo Rudd but don't rule out Jackie's son - Superb professional athletes may run in that family.

Last edited:
Re: Did Belichick decide to go for some NFL bloodlines in the late rounds of the draf

Yes, Bill Belichick drafts people because they had relatives that played in the NFL in the past.

Next year he's gonna take Barry Sander's daughter.

Re: Did Belichick decide to go for some NFL bloodlines in the late rounds of the draf

I think you're reaching for some intentional drafting of NFL bloodlines. He wants smart, coachable, hard working players. I'm sure that a relative of an NFL veteran is more likely to fit these qualities. So the fact that these guys were drafted by the Pats is simply a matter of the Patriots emphasizing different things than other organizations.

Also, these guys were drafted late, where all you're really hoping is they can make the roster. BB probably feels that these players are more likely to pick up the system quickly (Ruud) and that gives them a leg up on others that might have slightly better skill but could struggle with the adjustment.

In Slater's case, he was drafted to play special teams. Anything else is gravy from him. That he grew up around the game is nice, but I don't think it helps him that much because I don't think he's a factor on either offense or defense where the system is radically different than college.

Yes, Bill Belichick drafts people because they had relatives that played in the NFL in the past.

Next year he's gonna take Barry Sander's daughter.

Hey troll - Go back to the Jets forum where you came from

I think you're reaching for some intentional drafting of NFL bloodlines. He wants smart, coachable, hard working players. I'm sure that a relative of an NFL veteran is more likely to fit these qualities. So the fact that these guys were drafted by the Pats is simply a matter of the Patriots emphasizing different things than other organizations.

Also, these guys were drafted late, where all you're really hoping is they can make the roster. BB probably feels that these players are more likely to pick up the system quickly (Ruud) and that gives them a leg up on others that might have slightly better skill but could struggle with the adjustment.

In Slater's case, he was drafted to play special teams. Anything else is gravy from him. That he grew up around the game is nice, but I don't think it helps him that much because I don't think he's a factor on either offense or defense where the system is radically different than college.

If you know anything about horse racing you can compare it to a maiden field where there are all horses who have never won a race and the one that most people wager on usually is almost always the horse with the best bloodlines since none of them ever raced in the big time before - Get what I am saying?

May sound crazy like I said, but its what I think

If you know anything about horse racing you can compare it to a maiden field where there are all horses who have never won a race and the one that most people wager on usually is almost always the horse with the best bloodlines since none of them ever raced in the big time before - Get what I am saying?

May sound crazy like I said, but its what I think

I love horse racing. The only flaw in that argument though is that in horse racing the horses who have the best bloodlines are likely to have the best ability. Judging by where these guys were drafted they don't have the best ability.

Hey troll - Go back to the Jets forum where you came from

lol...I've lived and died with the Patriots every Sunday in the fall for the past 23 years, since I was 7 years old. Steve Grogan was my childhood idol. I will STILL name my first son Drew. To this day I still occasionally watch a tape I have of the Patriots beating the Jets in Foxboro in 1992, one of only 2 wins that year.

There are so many idiots on this board. GFYS man.

Last edited:

May seem crazy to some of you but its the only logical explanantion to me - The odds of 1 team drafting 2 or more players in one draft that had relatives playing pro ball before has got to be monumental odds - I do not remember it happening in NFL history by the same team doing it.
This is nuts. You think it is logical to say that BB is selecting not the players who he thinks will help the team most, but the players whose fathers were players?

That is logical?

Isn't Barrett Ruud the guy who cost Cleveland a game against the Chiefs by taking his helmet off during the last play, and the fifteen yards put the Chiefs in FG range?

And you think BB picked Bo because he finds this bloodline desirable?

Nah, I think BB picked the players he thought were the best fit for his team.

lol...I've lived and died with the Patriots every Sunday in the fall for the past 23 years, since I was 7 years old. Steve Grogan was my childhood idol. I will STILL name my first son Drew. To this day I still occasionally watch a tape I have of the Patriots beating the Jets in Foxboro in 1992, one of only 2 wins that year.

There are so many idiots on this board. GFYS man.

If there are so many idiots on this board then why not head over to Patriots Planet where all the smart people are :rolleyes:

Was Dan Klecko a Patriot pick?

This is nuts. You think it is logical to say that BB is selecting not the players who he thinks will help the team most, but the players whose fathers were players?

That is logical?

Isn't Barrett Ruud the guy who cost Cleveland a game against the Chiefs by taking his helmet off during the last play, and the fifteen yards put the Chiefs in FG range?

And you think BB picked Bo because he finds this bloodline desirable?

Nah, I think BB picked the players he thought were the best fit for his team.

What I am saying is maybe the bottom part of the draft was so weak why not take a shot on a HOFers son?

Its obvious the FO did not like any of the guys that the so called super mock draft experts on this site claimed they would surely select in the later rounds.

It shows that all the guys in here that mocked my draft and others don't know jack sh!t about anything the team will do EVERY year in the draft and yet the know it alls still bash mocks,according to what thier little brains think but rarily happens,especially after round 2.

The above rant was a bit out of this discussion but just putting in my 2 cents

If I had said Ruud and Slater were going to be on this team as a Pats mock I would have been flamed repeatedly by some of the professors in here.

BTW: What does the act that Barrett did relate to his overall performance on the field? - If you bothered to check his stats from 2007 he had a helluva year for the bucs.

Last edited:

Was Dan Klecko a Patriot pick?

Yes,but there were no others during that draft I am sure of.

To be honest,I was really dissapointed in Dan's career,I though he was going to be the next great player here - W-R-O-N-G

It seems wierd that not only did this team select one guy with some bloodlines from a relative in the NFL but 2 guys in the same draft seems beyond coincidental especially since these two guys were almost not even on radar anywhere.

Was this draft so weak in the eyes of the FO that bloodlines from 2 players (Bo's Brother having a breakout season in 2007 Barrett Ruud and Matt's dad HOFer Jackie Slater) was a key to hoping that somehow it was worthwhile to take a shot on them playing like thier relatives?

Like I said,Maybe this draft was so bad that taking a chance on these two guys was a shot when there was no worthy player after round 3

If they DO perform like thier relative counterparts then the gamble will have paid off and a steal above all steals in NFL history will be accomplished.

If I had to pick between the two of who makes it,I would say Bo Rudd but don't rule out Jackie's son - Superb professional athletes may run in that family.

Honestly, just the stupidest thing I've read on here in a long, long time. Good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:

He has always gone for coaches son's or players with relatives in football. Obviously, in the top rounds, much is known about actual production.

When it gets down to guessing on lower picks with less production, these factors might tip the balance.

BTW, other coaches also do this.

Also, it's not like horses. Players with relatives who coached or played often have a better understanding of the game and what it takes to prepare. Derrick Gaffney was a decent receiver for years with the Jets, for example.

Last edited:

Honestly, just the stupidest thing I've read on here in a long, long time. Good grief.

Don't worry something will top it tomorrow. Something always does.

No.

What Scott and Bill did was be practical. As they've found out in seasons past, late round picks will be hard pressed to make a football team of this caliber. Drafting players as "projects" to play primarily offense or defense at some point hasn't worked for them. Just ask Justin Rogers, or any of the myriad offensive linemen. They might slip to the practice squad, they might not. They might be claimed off the practice squad, they might not. But it hasn't been since the days of Koppen or Givens that late-round picks have made an immediate impact on offense or defense with this team.

Instead, they are shooting for Willie Andrews. If they want their late-round picks to stick around and contribute, it HAS to be on special teams. Of course, guys like Wilhite or Slater look like absolute crap when analyzed from a offense/defense standpoint. But guess what? They won't be playing either for the Patriots! They drafted these guys to be special teamers. That's their only choice at this point. It's either special teams or bust. So why not pick up some of the best special teams players in the draft?

Don't forget we added FA Vincent Redd, whose name is just so close to Rudd that you have to wonder how Pioli/BB MAKE these decisions.

It's been that way since Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law were in the same secondary, evidently because the fearless warriors of the gridiron are all too easily indimidated by the legal system.

I think you're reaching for some intentional drafting of NFL bloodlines. He wants smart, coachable, hard working players. I'm sure that a relative of an NFL veteran is more likely to fit these qualities.

I actually think it's more than that. I certainly don't believe that BB/SP would ever draft a player just because of his family, but coming from a "football family" is always a significant plus factor I consider when I'm projecting Patriots picks.

This is NOT because of horse-racing style "bloodlines." It's about a guy who grew up drenched in football, learning the intricacies of the game, understanding the work involved, and really, really caring about it. So being the son of a coach counts at least as much to me as being the son of an NFL player. That includes BB & McDaniels on the coaching side of course, but also players like Mike Vrabel.

People mention the obvious NFL bloodlines with Ruud and Slater, but a lot of these guys are related to a current or former NFL player in some way (usually cousins). Ty Law's family tree would be a good example of this. So, I think it gets overblown, and being related to someone doesn't at all guarantee you're having similar success in the NFL.

That includes BB & McDaniels on the coaching side of course, but also players like Mike Vrabel.

Did Vrabel's father coach football? I thought his dad was a principal. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots