PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did BB and Caserio sleep through the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather been asleep than awake signing Nate Burlson to a 25 mil contract

WTF is happenning? The free agency period is supposed to be EXACTLY like how I run things on Madden when I turn the cap option off. :rolleyes:

Well there is no cap, so technically yes..:D

Who says that the Jets cant go out there and add another running back through FA, like you said FA just started.

So you damn the Pats for not being agressive and then say the Jets don't have to rush

What makes you say that the Pats have already made an offer to Bodden? Their primary talks this off season have been with Wilfork, I dont really think they have reached out to Bodden.

You mean other than the numerous news reports that the Pats and Bodden have been negotiating a contract. I guess other than everyone in the media who have reported on Bodden stating the Pats have negotiated with him, I have nothing.

I do agree that there is no way possible the Pats could actually negotiate with multiple players over a several week period for new contracts. What do I think they are supermen?

Rotoworld reported that the Texans, Seahawks and Steelers have already reached out to Bodden. If you have to pay Bodden $1 or 2 million more than what he should get, they should do it. He would be the Pats #1 corner next year and it isnt like there are plenty of CBs out there. They need to lock him up quickly before he goes somewhere else and wouldnt you think that if Bodden hasnt received any offers to date from the Pats he would take this as almost a slap in the face like they dont want him?

Again, all reports state the Pats have been negotiating with Bodden.

From Albert Breer:

I'm told Bodden got strong, immediate interest right at midnight, and that the Patriots were negotiating with him to and through the deadline. Something still could get done.

Where we stand 120 minutes in - Extra Points - Boston.com

Again, the Pats may have convinced him to give them the right to match any offer he gets. Why overpay the guy by a single penny if he is going to do that?

the jets are turning into the ravens.......

they will win some games on the backs of their defense, but when they fall behind, they will have no chance

the jets are turning into the ravens.......

they will win some games on the backs of their defense, but when they fall behind, they will have no chance

Their defense was great last year. Any improvements they make will be minimal in value to the improvements the need to make on the offensive side of the ball.

Shut down? According to profootballfocus' stats, in 2009 he was:

37th in the league in completion % allowed (Darius Butler was 30th)
61st in coverage rating
28th in opposing QB's passer rating (Bodden was 13th, Butler 20th)

In 2008 he was:

91st in completion % allowed (Wilhite was 88th)
112th in coverage rating (Wilhite was 106th)
79th in opposing QB's passer rating (Wilhite was 63rd)

If Antonio Cromartie is a shut down corner, Bodden and Butler are All-Pro, fringe hall of famers. Hell, Jonathan Wilhite had a better year in 2008 than Cromartie, is HE a "shut down" guy?

The guy has had one great statistical season if you look solely at INTs. The last 2 years he has been decidedly mediocre or below average in EVERY metric, including INTs.

Bottom line is the Jets got even better on defense, and they were already one of the best in the league. If the Pats settle for the veterans taking a pay cut at the WR position they wont even be able to compete with a teams defense in their own division, that they face twice during the year.

Bottom line is the Jets got even better on defense, and they were already one of the best in the league. If the Pats settle for the veterans taking a pay cut at the WR position they wont even be able to compete with a teams defense in their own division, that they face twice during the year.

This would be true if the Pats didn't have four picks in the first 2 rounds. They will get some play makers to combat this.

No matter who the Jets have at the 2nd corner once Welker is back he will light them up because they have no one to cover him. Edelman did well against them last year and I expect him to be even better this year.

So you damn the Pats for not being agressive and then say the Jets don't have to rush

The Jets were aggressive and addressed their need of another RB. They already have a running back in Greene, so there is no need to be aggressive for that position, they dont have to rush. The Patriots have an immediate need of a CB, there needs to be a sense of urgency when addressing that unit.

You mean other than the numerous news reports that the Pats and Bodden have been negotiating a contract. I guess other than everyone in the media who have reported on Bodden stating the Pats have negotiated with him, I have nothing.

I do agree that there is no way possible the Pats could actually negotiate with multiple players over a several week period for new contracts. What do I think they are supermen?

Again, all reports state the Pats have been negotiating with Bodden.

From Albert Breer:

Where we stand 120 minutes in - Extra Points - Boston.com

Again, the Pats may have convinced him to give them the right to match any offer he gets. Why overpay the guy by a single penny if he is going to do that?

I hope that you are right. I just think that since the CB is a position that you need to fill and the market for CBs isnt very good you would try and lock up one of the best players available especially when you are supposed to be the only team that can negotiate with him (up until last night). This is an uncapped year and anything can happen, which is why I would have liked to see the Patriots already have signed Bodden even if it meant paying $1-2 million more, remember its an uncapped year.

This would be true if the Pats didn't have four picks in the first 2 rounds. They will get some play makers to combat this.

No matter who the Jets have at the 2nd corner once Welker is back he will light them up because they have no one to cover him. Edelman did well against them last year and I expect him to be even better this year.

Yes they do have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, but there is no guarantee that any player that they select will be able to come in and start right away, which is what they need, immediate impact guys. If an opportunity presented its self to give up one of those picks to add a proven player then I would hope the Pats would do that. That is something the Patriots really havent done in the past, but I think this is the year to change their philosophy.

Well there is no guarantee as to when Welker will be coming back, and with what we have now in Moss, Edelman, Aiken and Patten we wouldnt stand a chance against the Jets and their defense (as well as other defenses in the league). We need to go out and get a WR that we know can come in and make an immediate impact, specifically someone that can make plays when teams double Moss. If that means trading one of our picks for a guy like a Boldin, so be it

They DID make an OFFER on Peppers. And he hasn't signed with anyone yet. So they are in the running! Time for lunch! Hope Peppers doesn't sign to day and comes to visit Foxboro because I think he'll really like the facilities and think about it, he gets to play with Tom Brady on his team. Who is Chicagos QB? IF winning is important to him, and he really wants to be in a 3-4 defense, the Pats have something to offer that other teams in the running don't.

They DID make an OFFER on Peppers. And he hasn't signed with anyone yet. So they are in the running! Time for lunch! Hope Peppers doesn't sign to day and comes to visit Foxboro because I think he'll really like the facilities and think about it, he gets to play with Tom Brady on his team. Who is Chicagos QB? IF winning is important to him, and he really wants to be in a 3-4 defense, the Pats have something to offer that other teams in the running don't.

Its going to come down to who gives him the most money you would think...

Peppers and is agent have been rumored to be in route to Chicago now and Scheftler has said that he thinks a deal will get done this afternoon. Very unlikely to see Peppers be in NE next year

There's a TON of good players who are FA. We don't need to have 5 new players without stupid sarcastic thread titles like this or general worry warts like you. We can be active in FA without signing anyone for a week.

Yeah and end up with scrubs who probably wont make it through preseason. What are you in the 3rd grade calling people "worry worts" ? I mean seriously cant people have opinions without getting smashed, its a damn message board lighten up man.

Right, and we will have those Draft choices ready to go in......three years. This is the NFL. You need talent in place to add Draft choices that can be added to the mix.
Let's be real. We have four Draft choices from #22 to #53 and a total of 8 without comp picks.
18% of our picks by NFL Team average will make the difference on the 2010 Patriots. We have 13 holes to fill if you count them and with the release of Baker, 14. Our Draft will bring us 1.44 players that will have an impact on our roster within three years. Say two to be realistic. Go three if we beat the odds. Four was spectacular....by year three. The others some will make the squad, others will be deemed replaceable in the next years Drafts and through the rotation of your roster by retirement and FA departs.

How are those 8 Draft picks, unless we hit a home run at every time at bat, going to be our salvation in 2010? We have 14 holes to fill. You can make your case that from our terrible Drafts from 2007-2008 we are behind in the talent pool, but a massive influx of 21 year old kids will not make us significantly superior to the Colts, Ravens, Chargers, or even the Jets in the AFC alone. Let's hope for two or three great picks and get some quality talent through FA or RFA AND yes I would Trade one of my #2 picks for 60 catch Greg Olsen. Yes I would try to cut a deal for Boldin, Marshall and Gocong. Most will have to be done by picks.
Would I trade our #22 pick for Ray Edwards? He's 25 and has proven he can compete and rush the passer (yes he has some studs around him but would he have done more than 8.5 sacks if they were not flushed to the others by Edwards? I don't know, but he is proven and NFL ready) Bye, Bye #22! Half the price of Peppers and five years younger. Say if he is an eight to Peppers ten, it still works.

What is it that those out there cannot see logically? I want this to be a big Draft, but two quality guys is a very respectable Draft to make a contribution in 2010. Some others will join them as consistent contributors from this Draft class next year or the year after if we are lucky. Most will be gone by year three.

Think 2009 Saints and 2007 Patriots to see that FA and Trades determined their success, not so much trades.
DW Toys

There's a TON of good players who are FA. We don't need to have 5 new players without stupid sarcastic thread titles like this or general worry warts like you. We can be active in FA without signing anyone for a week.

Oh shut the **** up, you geek. I'm not a worry wart at all. I'm just making the point that, the longer we wait, the more come off the board. Within the next week or so, I would expect guys like Antonio Bryant and possibly Walter will be gone. As a team, we can't afford to wait too long. Maybe if you had actually read my post instead of browsing over it and trying to up your 25,000+ post count, you would have seen that I said I wasn't panicking.

Oh shut the **** up, you geek. I'm not a worry wart at all. I'm just making the point that, the longer we wait, the more come off the board. Within the next week or so, I would expect guys like Antonio Bryant and possibly Walter will be gone. As a team, we can't afford to wait too long. Maybe if you had actually read my post instead of browsing over it and trying to up your 25,000+ post count, you would have seen that I said I wasn't panicking.

LMAO, fun times...

Exactly, people are definitely not panicking that we didnt make any moves within the first 12 hours of free agency. People are just pointing out the fact that the Patriots need to be aggressive these next few days and not sit back and watch teams make offers for the top of the line free agents. This team has a lot of holes and just sitting back and watching then reacting is not the way to go this off season, they need to be a team that is making the moves.

Last edited:
Exactly, people are definitely not panicking that we didnt make any moves within the first 12 hours of free agency. People are just pointing out the fact that the Patriots need to be aggressive these next few days and not sit back and watch teams make offers for the top of the line free agents. This team has a lot of holes and just sitting back and watching then reaction is not the way to go this off season, they need to be a team that is making the moves.

Thanks for getting it and thinking what some of us are thinking. This isnt the Pats of old, team has holes, holes that cant and wont be fixed just by resigning its own, (which isnt happening with Bodden and Watson more than likely gone) or by relying on the draft. They have to fill holes through free agency with legit football players that can actually still play, not all the holes need to be fixed but at least some of them.

When are some of you morons going to realize that this team has many of THIER OWN players to take care of before they go out and sign Marquee Free Agents.

While there could be a few good names taken in FA by this team Kraft was NEVER going to go and spend $100 million dollars just becuase there is no cap - there is a CBA issue to be concerned about and that is only a small part of reasoning not to go crazy and throw Al Davis and Dan Snyder money all over the place

I think there will be some our our teams current players signed with extensions FIRST and then look to see whats left in FA

This team will probably have to take a rare approach and rely on some highly touted and drafted rookies to make some immediate impacts this season

I think this next season is going to be a partial rebuilding season in many fazes and a good reason why it could be a partial rebuilding process is the failure of getting these guys signed earlier which to me is the biggest problem this franchise has - they really need to get thier players signed faster and avoid having to do too much in such a short period of time which currently is within the next 2 years and that is the reason why this team will see NO Marquee Players in 2010...maybe some good signings but no knock your socks off players

Last edited:
When are some of you morons going to realize that this team has many of THIER OWN players to take care of before they go out and sign Marquee Free Agents.

While there could be a few good names taken in FA by this team Kraft was NEVER going to go and spend $100 million dollars just becuase there is no cap - there is a CBA issue to be concerned about and that is only a small part of reasoning not to go crazy and throw Al Davis and Dan Snyder money all over the place

I think there will be some our or teams current players signed FIRST and then look to see whats left in FA

This team will probably have to take a rare approach and rely on some highly touted and drafted rookies to make some immediate impacts this season

I think this next season is going to be a partial rebuilding season in many fazes and a good reason why it could be a partial rebuilding process is the failure of getting these guys signed earlier which to me is the biggest problem this franchise has - they really need to get thier players signed faster and avoid having to do too much in such a short period of time which currently is within the next 2 years and that is the reason why this team will see NO Marquee Players in 2010...maybe some good signings but no knock your socks off players

Who the **** are you to be calling people morons is what I wanna know cool guy, easy to talk when your just typing isnt it?

Last edited:
Exactly, people are definitely not panicking that we didnt make any moves within the first 12 hours of free agency. People are just pointing out the fact that the Patriots need to be aggressive these next few days and not sit back and watch teams make offers for the top of the line free agents. This team has a lot of holes and just sitting back and watching then reacting is not the way to go this off season, they need to be a team that is making the moves.
Yes, I agree with the opinion that the Pats should be aggressive in free agency. However, I wouldn't say people are not panicking. For example, there's the person who started this thread because as of 9:48 am this morning the Pats had signed zero free agents, and all those other people that are convinced that Cromartie is suddenly a clone of the best attributes of Mike Haynes, Darrell Green and Ronnie Lott.

The Pats tend to keep their negotiations close to the vest. I'm guessing for every report of a player they've talked to or made an offer to, there are two that we never hear about. Just because we don't see news reports about the team going after a player, that doesn't mean the front office is just sitting back and waiting for somebody to call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots