PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did BB and Caserio sleep through the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at what the Jets have done and FA isnt even 12 hours old.

Yes, let's take a look:

1. Released their starting RB who has run for 1000 yards+ each of the 3 seasons he spent with the team

2. Added an aggressive CB who sucks in the run game, shies away from contact and has a whopping 5 INTs over the last two years.

Not saying Cromartie isn't a potential upgrade over Sheppard (although he's not nearly as good as some seem to think), but the Jets have barely gotten better, if at all.

They do give the perception that they are dragging their heeels
And we all know they're all about perception. Like Belichick gives a crap what "ramon" thinks.

My concern is that none of our own free agents have been re-signed. I am not concerned about not signing any of the first weekend overpriced veterans. Besides, the first weekend hasn't even started yet. Let's see where we are on Monday!

Last edited:
Wow wow Wow.... And people call me chicken little... Calm down everybody... I would love to see the Pats trade for bolden to offset the jets cromartiee, and trade for Olson for a short passing game .. I dont know if these things will happen.. Its going to take time people, you need to chill.. Right now the Pats are in third place in the division.. but its day one of FA... Trades will be the thing, not FA signings, Im expecting more trades from the pats than FA signings...

Yes, let's take a look:

1. Released their starting RB who has run for 1000 yards+ each of the 3 seasons he spent with the team

2. Added an aggressive CB who sucks in the run game, shies away from contact and has a whopping 5 INTs over the last two years.

Not saying Cromartie isn't a potential upgrade over Sheppard (although he's not nearly as good as some seem to think), but the Jets have barely gotten better, if at all.

I was referring to their defense. Cromartie doesnt even compare to Sheppard. Cromartie could be labeled as a shut down corner and now the Jets have two, which now frees them up to blitz even more than they did off season when they led the league in that already. Their defense has definitely gotten better

Last edited:
I was referring to their defense. Cromartie doesnt even compare to Sheppard. Cromartie could be labeled as a shut down corner and now the Jets have to, which now frees them up to blitz even more than they did off season when they led the league in that already. Their defense has definitely gotten better

Cromartie could be labeled as a shut down corner by someone who doesn't watch football, I agree.

Sleeping at night.... the audacity of those 2

Actually, Belichick is thinking of taking the entire year off. He decided since he hasn't made any moves in the first 12 hours of free agency why even bother trying to put a team together in 2010 at all. Seriously, people need to calm down.

Bodden hasn't signed anywhere. TBC hasn't signed anywhere. Neither have even visited anyone. Only a handful of free agents have signed. Karlos Dansby has announced he plans to visit all 32 teams if he is asked to visit before he signs anywhere. Only Burleson is the only "big" free agent who has gotten a new deal.

WTF is happenning? The free agency period is supposed to be EXACTLY like how I run things on Madden when I turn the cap option off. :rolleyes:

The pats need to get a solid receiver so they don't have to draft one in the first 4 picks. They could go defense, RB, or even BPA this way.

WTF is happenning? The free agency period is supposed to be EXACTLY like how I run things on Madden when I turn the cap option off. :rolleyes:

"The Dallas Cowboys have accepted your proposed trade of Pierre Woods for DeMarcus Ware."

I was referring to their defense. Cromartie doesnt even compare to Sheppard. Cromartie could be labeled as a shut down corner and now the Jets have two, which now frees them up to blitz even more than they did off season when they led the league in that already. Their defense has definitely gotten better

Well, the way Cromartie totally shutdown against the run in the playoffs, yes you could label him a shutdown CB. Seriously, Cromartie had one good season. Lito Sheppard may never had a 10 INT season, but at least had two seasons where he was considered a very good CB. That is one more than Cromartie.

Well, the way Cromartie totally shutdown against the run in the playoffs, yes you could label him a shutdown CB. Seriously, Cromartie had one good season. Lito Sheppard may never had a 10 INT season, but at least had two seasons where he was considered a very good CB. That is one more than Cromartie.

Sheppard's downward spiral has been baffling. In 2006 he was an All-Pro. Now he'd be lucky to be a nickel corner for the Lions...

I know injuries may be a part of it, but I'm thinking his confidence in his abilities has taken a hit too....

The "ain't in awful crowd" weigh in early and often...

The Jets traded for Cromartie, Dansby is in Miami vowing to visit every team that is interested.. is the sky falling?? In reality we do not know all that much right now.. except about the "shiny beads" stuff...

So adding Cromartie doesnt make the Jets a better team? They needed another CB, that group of FAs is weak they saw that and reacted quickly. The Patriots have a need at CB, Bodden is probably the best FA out there. Bodden has already drawn interest from atleast 4 teams. If the Patriots dont make an offer quickly he will probably be signed with another team by the end of the weekend. The Patriots sitting back and watching other teams make offers to players is not the right approach this off season. They need to be aggressive

Last year on Day 1 the Pats landed Fred Taylor and Chris Baker. How did that work out?

Sometimes, moving quicker than everyone else isn't the best move.

that's what happens when you waste $$ on washed up players......

I have no problem with the way things are going so far.......the jets are off and running, but they win the april tournament every year

the pats need LB's.....lots of 'em

So adding Cromartie doesnt make the Jets a better team? They needed another CB, that group of FAs is weak they saw that and reacted quickly. The Patriots have a need at CB, Bodden is probably the best FA out there. Bodden has already drawn interest from atleast 4 teams. If the Patriots dont make an offer quickly he will probably be signed with another team by the end of the weekend. The Patriots sitting back and watching other teams make offers to players is not the right approach this off season. They need to be aggressive

Yeah, it makes them a slightly better defense. Losing Thomas Jones could be a far more negative impact than adding Cromartie though. Can Shonn Greene carry the rock all year and replace Jones' 1400 plus yards? Greene's running style could get him injured pretty quick.

As for Bodden, he has stated he wants to remain a Patriot. He might have an agreement in place that he will give the Pats right of first refusal of any offer. He hasn't even visited another team. So if they have a deal like this in place, you are advocating the Pats to bid against themselves and potentially pay Bodden more than he can get in the open market just to be aggressive.

Until we see how things turn out in a few weeks or months, it is stupid to complain 12 hours into free agency.

These threads make me want to:

deerhunting.jpg

Last edited:

Shut down? According to profootballfocus' stats, in 2009 he was:

37th in the league in completion % allowed (Darius Butler was 30th)
61st in coverage rating
28th in opposing QB's passer rating (Bodden was 13th, Butler 20th)

In 2008 he was:

91st in completion % allowed (Wilhite was 88th)
112th in coverage rating (Wilhite was 106th)
79th in opposing QB's passer rating (Wilhite was 63rd)

If Antonio Cromartie is a shut down corner, Bodden and Butler are All-Pro, fringe hall of famers. Hell, Jonathan Wilhite had a better year in 2008 than Cromartie, is HE a "shut down" guy?

The guy has had one great statistical season if you look solely at INTs. The last 2 years he has been decidedly mediocre or below average in EVERY metric, including INTs.

Yeah, it makes them a slightly better defense. Losing Thomas Jones could be a far more negative impact than adding Cromartie though. Can Shonn Greene carry the rock all year and replace Jones' 1400 plus yards? Greene's running style could get him injured pretty quick.

As for Bodden, he has stated he wants to remain a Patriot. He might have an agreement in place that he will give the Pats right of first refusal of any offer. He hasn't even visited another team. So if they have a deal like this in place, you are advocating the Pats to bid against themselves and potentially pay Bodden more than he can get in the open market just to be aggressive.

Until we see how things turn out in a few weeks or months, it is stupid to complain 12 hours into free agency.

Who says that the Jets cant go out there and add another running back through FA, like you said FA just started.

What makes you say that the Pats have already made an offer to Bodden? Their primary talks this off season have been with Wilfork, I dont really think they have reached out to Bodden. Rotoworld reported that the Texans, Seahawks and Steelers have already reached out to Bodden. If you have to pay Bodden $1 or 2 million more than what he should get, they should do it. He would be the Pats #1 corner next year and it isnt like there are plenty of CBs out there. They need to lock him up quickly before he goes somewhere else and wouldnt you think that if Bodden hasnt received any offers to date from the Pats he would take this as almost a slap in the face like they dont want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye