PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

did anyone see Chattam today

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB15

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
on a punt the fins let the ball settle and the jets players stood around the ball waiting for it to come to a stop then a dolfin player nunber 88 was running up the the crew of jets.. chattam grabs him and starts forcing him towards the ball on the ground.

It was very odd and ive never seen anyone do that, was chattam pissed about something earlier in the game?

Dunno, Nantz and Simms declined to explain it and there was no penalty.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Dunno, Nantz and Simms declined to explain it and there was no penalty.
yea I know, it was really unatural. they had no idea what the hell he was doing and nither do I

I just thought he was trying to push the Jest player into the ball so they could claim it on a muff, but then it might have just been he thought the Fin needed a hug.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I just thought he was trying to push the Jest player into the ball so they could claim it on a muff.
so did I but ... ive never see that before... it was really weird.. can you even do that

DB15 said:
so did I but ... ive never see that before... it was really weird.. can you even do that
It's like signaling timeout twice in a row to ice the kicker, no rules until you try.

DB15 said:
on a punt the fins let the ball settle and the jets players stood around the ball waiting for it to come to a stop then a dolfin player nunber 88 was running up the the crew of jets.. chattam grabs him and starts forcing him towards the ball on the ground.

It was very odd and ive never seen anyone do that, was chattam pissed about something earlier in the game?

I did'nt see the play, but it sounds as though Chatam was trying to push the Miami player to the ball to make contact, so the Jets could recover the ball. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team, its live.

I notice it quite a bit in the NFL where a players on the receiving team get too close to a ball that they are not going to field for a return. The question is, what the hell was the Miami player doing anywhere near the ball if it was surrounded by Jet players. In high school, we were always taught to get the hell away from the ball if you can't field it cleanly.

Yeah, it was the only time I noticed Chatam. It was one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen, and also proved that most analysts and play by play men don't notice stuff, they pretty much just state the obvious (that play was too strange for them to comment), or say what is fed to them. The funniest comment came from Simms, when he said "the Jet's defense is doing a good job", this comment came with the Dolphins on the Jets 10 yard line about to make it 20-17. The person I was watching the game with did his best Moe the Bartender impression and said "WHA ??"

I know exactly why he did that. He was having a flahsback and thought the guy was a nude referee.

kurtinelson said:
I did'nt see the play, but it sounds as though Chatam was trying to push the Miami player to the ball to make contact, so the Jets could recover the ball. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team, its live.

I notice it quite a bit in the NFL where a players on the receiving team get too close to a ball that they are not going to field for a return. The question is, what the hell was the Miami player doing anywhere near the ball if it was surrounded by Jet players. In high school, we were always taught to get the hell away from the ball if you can't field it cleanly.

Seems to me you can do it, as long as you don't block the guy in the back or grab him or commit any kind of foul in the process.....if the block is legal, there is no reason I can think of that that the player couldn't be forced into contact with the ball, thus making it a free ball.

fgssand said:
Seems to me you can do it, as long as you don't block the guy in the back or grab him or commit any kind of foul in the process.....if the block is legal, there is no reason I can think of that that the player couldn't be forced into contact with the ball, thus making it a free ball.

Agreed. Anyone on the receiving team that gets anywhere near the ball in that situation is stupid.

fgssand said:
if thats the case chattam would have gotten a flag, what he was doing was basically manhandling the dolfin towards the ball

One of my favorite plays similar to what is described here occurred back in 2000 versus the Detroit Lions.

The Pats punted the ball to the Lion's Desmond Howard, he let the ball bounce staying about 8 yards away from it. Larry Whigham was the first down on the Pats punt team, he casually picked up the ball, then chucked it straight to an unsuspecting Howard. Howard was so dumb-struck by this that he actually caught the ball, then Whigham tackled him! It was hilarious. Perhaps a bit of payback for Super Bowl XXXI. :)

Anyone else remember this play? It was about the only highlight of a Patriots blowout loss in Detroit.

Murphys95 said:
Anyone else remember this play? It was about the only highlight of a Patriots blowout loss in Detroit.

That and it was Tom Brady's first game as a Patriot...

...if we only knew!

Murphys95 said:
One of my favorite plays similar to what is described here occurred back in 2000 versus the Detroit Lions.

The Pats punted the ball to the Lion's Desmond Howard, he let the ball bounce staying about 8 yards away from it. Larry Whigham was the first down on the Pats punt team, he casually picked up the ball, then chucked it straight to an unsuspecting Howard. Howard was so dumb-struck by this that he actually caught the ball, then Whigham tackled him! It was hilarious. Perhaps a bit of payback for Super Bowl XXXI. :)

isnt that unecessary roughness, because once the ball is touched by a patriot the play is dead?

Bertil said:
That and it was Tom Brady's first game as a Patriot...

...if we only knew!

Spot on! Totally forgot about that part. Good memory!

DB15 said:
isnt that unecessary roughness, because once the ball is touched by a patriot the play is dead?

Good question, there wasn't a penalty on that play. I think technically if a ball is touched first by the punting team then it can result in a free play for the return team (we saw that against New Orleans in '98). Therefore Desmond Howard had the option to run with the ball with no repercussions. He was just too dumbfounded to make a break for it.

Was this game around Thanksgiving? I remember a blowout around that year. I think the Pats were wearing their red uniforms. If I remember correctly.

Murphys95 said:
Spot on! Totally forgot about that part. Good memory!

Good question, there wasn't a penalty on that play. I think technically if a ball is touched first by the punting team then it can result in a free play for the return team (we saw that against New Orleans in '98). Therefore Desmond Howard had the option to run with the ball with no repercussions. He was just too dumbfounded to make a break for it.
hmmm you might be right, perhaps its only if its a dead ball then a penalty would have occured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back