PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**** Vermeil Tells Chiefs He Will Retire After This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Source: GridironFans.com [ Full Article ]

**** Vermeil will retire after the season as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, one of his players told The Associated Press on Saturday night. The player, who asked that his name not be used until after the announcement was official, said he was present when Vermeil broke the news during a team meeting earlier in the day. The Kansas City Star first reported that Vermeil was leaving, quoting team official Lynn Stiles. The 69-year-old Vermeil, the NFL's oldest head coach, could end his career on Sunday when the Chiefs (9-6) face Cincinnati in their final regular-season game. But Kansas City could still make the playoffs with a win and Pittsburgh loss to Detroit. Stiles, who was at meeting, said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision. "I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization," said Stiles, the Chiefs' vice president for football operations. Vermeil's wife, Carol, told the AP that he was not available for comment.

Probably best for him, seems as though he is not as effective as he used to be, interesting to see who winds up there, heard rumours about NY Herm.

I love Vermiel and wish him the best. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

A wonderful man.. but i'd hate to have him as my head coach.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
A wonderful man.. but i'd hate to have him as my head coach.

Yes. Whever I see film of him in the locker room after a game and the tears come out, I try to see how the players are reacting to it. Once in a while, that's fine, and he is very sincere, but enough is enough. I don't remember the tears when he coached the Eagles, and he was great with them also.

When CBS talked to him earlier about telling the team (a really selfish thing to do I think with a team still fighting for a playoff life) he teared up right on cue. I suppose for players who need a shoulder to cry on he's a godsend, but I'd bet for most players his emotional behavior begins to wear on them as it does on most fans. Too many emotional ups and downs aren't good for a football team. They're not usually all that good in one's regular life either.

Today instead of focusing on the Chief's season (a potentially disappointing one too) or their outside chance to still make the playoffs, the focus will all be on Vermeil retiring (again). Get out the violins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back