PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dice K the most boring pitcher in MLB

Good pitchers use the whole strike zone. Just because he leaves some up doesn't mean that it's not intentional, especially when he has that kind of gas + control + repertoire. Same for the unhittable way-off-the-plate stuff...batters swing at those pitches for a reason.

Here are four stats:

1) He's fourth in the majors in K's.
2) He has better than a 3:1 K:BB ratio.
3) In his last six starts, he has an ERA of 1.29, and has dropped his overall ERA by about the same.
4) He's averaging just under 7 innings per start. No need to discuss the benefits to the bullpen, I hope.

Over the last month and a half, he's probably been the best pitcher in baseball. He's getting better and better, and this at the time when batters should have "figured him out" by now. We're at the freakin' All-Star break.

Hate him all you want, but it's entirely irrational.

I knew his stats and i think they just seem better on paper. When i watch him he just don't impresss me. Like i said he is hard to predict, and think thats his biggest strength. Pitchers have up and down months, lets see how he does this month.

Last edited:
this is the stupidest thread on the Red Sox i have ever seen. the guy is on pace to go 20-10.
WHO CARES if hes boring to you?

typical Boston "everything sucks" mentality. Go listen to the whiner line or something.

i agree, frankiesfly sounds like an idiot.

i really hope he's joking because if not he shouldn't go around telling people he's a baseball fan.

i agree, frankiesfly sounds like an idiot.

i really hope he's joking because if not he shouldn't go around telling people he's a baseball fan.

I sound like an idiot because he is one of your boston bend over buddies. If i was talking about a yankees player you would agree 100%. Just another Boston fan with tunnel vision. Myself and the fans around country all know how you are.

this is the stupidest thread on the Red Sox i have ever seen. the guy is on pace to go 20-10.
WHO CARES if hes boring to you?

typical Boston "everything sucks" mentality. Go listen to the whiner line or something.

What is this like your firt post ever written. I think we finished the boring thing like 2 months ago.

What is this like your firt post ever written. I think we finished the boring thing like 2 months ago.

Ya you were wrong 2 months ago and you're wrong now. You are entirely entititled to your opinion (the boring part) however when you start saying that dicek was just feasting on the weak rays lineup, you just look foolish as he's been one of the best pitchers in baseball in the month of june. (he only pitched against the rays once).

Here's one of your gems (post 13)

Yep i gave in and I'm watching Dice K pitch. Now that I'm watching him again against Tampa Bay, i hate him even more. This guy really does suck. Dice K sucks. He has got to be the worst pitcher in history to have 7 strike outs in a game. If a manager was smart he would tell all his players to stand there with therir bat on their shoulder and not swing. He has no control whatsoever and batters swing at his crap. The Jiro-ball what a joke. He sucks so bad. He really does. I can't wait for him to keep those pitches high against a good team and see him get slapped around. Better yet a player hit a line drive right into his skull and knock his ass out.

Now let's look at the stats:

Date Opponent Score Dec IP H R ER HR BB K
Jul 3 TAM W 4-1 W 8.0 4 0 0 0 1 9
Jun 27 @ SEA L 1-2 - 8.0 3 1 1 0 1 8
Jun 22 @ SDG W 2-1 W 6.0 5 1 1 0 5 9
Jun 16 SFO W 1-0 W 7.0 3 0 0 0 3 8
Jun 10 @ ARI L1-5 L 6.0 4 2 2 0 4 9
Jun 5 @ OAK L 0-2 L 7.0 7 2 2 1 2 8
Ok, so that's a total of 6 earned runs he gave up in the last 6 games.....could you please tell me who has been better?

Last edited:
Ya you were wrong 2 months ago and you're wrong now. You are entirely entititled to your opinion (the boring part) however when you start saying that dicek was just feasting on the weak rays lineup, you just look foolish as he's been one of the best pitchers in baseball in the month of june. (he only pitched against the rays once).

Here's one of your gems (post 13)

Now let's look at the stats:

Ok, so that's a total of 6 earned runs he gave up in the last 6 games.....could you please tell me who has been better?

I'm not saying he doesn't have good numbers, he does. His last games where good. That doen't make him any more special than any other pitcher in the leauge though.. Even the average pitcher can go on long streaks of solid outings. Out of his last performances i do think his Tampa performance was the worst. Dice K does usually keep the ball where he wants to and keeps most of his pitches low and out of areas where the hitter has the advantage. Against Tampa he really didn't. His control was the worst i ever seen it, and do think if he takes that performance else where he will get smacked around.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good numbers, he does. His last games where good. That doen't make him any more special than any other pitcher in the leauge though.. Even the average pitcher can go on long streaks of solid outings. Out of his last performances i do think his Tampa performance was the worst. Dice K does usually keep the ball where he wants to and keeps most of his pitches low and out of areas where the hitter has the advantage. Against Tampa he really didn't. His control was the worst i ever seen it, and do think if he takes that performance else where he will get smacked around.

frankiesfly's comments are all irrational. could be possibly be a closet racist?

this poster sounds like old guys used to sound like when talking about jackie robinson and his play.

Yep i gave in and I'm watching Dice K pitch. Now that I'm watching him again against Tampa Bay, i hate him even more. This guy really does suck. Dice K sucks. He has got to be the worst pitcher in history to have 7 strike outs in a game. If a manager was smart he would tell all his players to stand there with therir bat on their shoulder and not swing. He has no control whatsoever and batters swing at his crap. The Jiro-ball what a joke. He sucks so bad. He really does. I can't wait for him to keep those pitches high against a good team and see him get slapped around. Better yet a player hit a line drive right into his skull and knock his ass out.

You sound like the kid from the Catcher in the Rye.

What exactly is your argument here? First you said he sucked and has no control, now you're saying that he usually gets the ball where he wants it but just not against Tampa. So if he normally gets the ball where he wants it and usually performs well wouldn't that mean he doesn't suck?

If you're arguing that if he has bad control against a good team he'll get hit hard than you're stating the obvious. What pitcher does that fact not apply to?

If you are watching the Detroit/Boston game thats my argument. He's not that good like i said. If he played a good team and pitched like he did against Tampa he would get smacked. Thats what happened and proved my argument. Now you guys can come back down to reality.:p

What exactly is your argument here? First you said he sucked and has no control, now you're saying that he usually gets the ball where he wants it but just not against Tampa. So if he normally gets the ball where he wants it and usually performs well wouldn't that mean he doesn't suck?

If you're arguing that if he has bad control against a good team he'll get hit hard than you're stating the obvious. What pitcher does that fact not apply to?

If you can read i think we were speaking specifically about the Tampa game, but now were talking about the Detroit game also. Thats 2 games in a row now with no control. Prior to that Tampa game he usually did get the ball where he wanted, as far as keeping the ball low and out of hitters power zone. Hope you aren't looking for an argument because you have none. Dice k sucks. He only had good games against mediocre offenses. A good offense he gets creamed like i said would happen.

It all makes sense if we assume that frankiesfly is a closet racist.

He sounds a lot like old racists who used to talk the same way about Jackie Robinson.

What kind of person wishes that Dice-K gets a line drive to the head? A racist like frankiesfly, that's who.

If you can read i think we were speaking specifically about the Tampa game, but now were talking about the Detroit game also. Thats 2 games in a row now with no control. Prior to that Tampa game he usually did get the ball where he wanted, as far as keeping the ball low and out of hitters power zone. Hope you aren't looking for an argument because you have none. Dice k sucks. He only had good games against mediocre offenses. A good offense he gets creamed like i said would happen.
So you're just talking about just these two games? And because he has sucked in these two games means that he is an awful pitcher regardless of what he did before? I'm not disagreeing that his control wasn't good today and I'll take your word for it that it was poor against Tampa, as I didn't see the game, but just because he had poor control in two games doesn't mean he sucks. A lot of good pitchers have had bad games against Detroit or other top offenses and that doesn't mean they suck. A lot of good pitchers have bad stretches and that doesn't mean they suck. Expecting him to be dominant every time out is unreasonable.

Plus, Matsuzaka had a very good game against Detroit earlier in the season. Did he suck then?

If you can read i think we were speaking specifically about the Tampa game

I'm not sure how 8 innings, 9Ks, 4 hits, 1 walk for 0 runs against Tampa Bay is a bad start. He and Tek clearly went into the game with a plan of capitalizing on a team that strikes more than any other team in the AL, and did just that. If a team is going to swing at bad pitches, you don't pound the strike zone, you let them chase.

Last edited:
The only thing that i'll give you about Dice K is that he is hard to predict. Its hard for batters to know whats coming. Seriously if he pitched the way he did against Tampa against a real good team, I'm telling you he would of got rocked. Theres a difference in throwing pitches for balls when being ahead in the count and just being wild, and missing your target(wherever the ball is intented to hit) He hit a batter, he threw like ten pitches three feet out of the strike zone, and left a lot of pitches in batters power zone(up in the strike zone). This is Dice K's first season and he is new to a lot of hitters, so i think its a matter of time before batters catch on. I think this year if any will be his best. Hats off to him for getting wins, but i just don't like him. I don't hate teams, but I hate individual players on teams. I have no hatred for the Sox, it's just Dice K. I'm Not a Yanks fan, trust that.

Like i said up there last week, its a matter of time before players catch on. Last time Dice K pitched against Detroit that was their first time seeing him, so they already caught on after facing him just once. Even during the post game Jim Rice said the same thing, that hitters are going to start catching on to him. Even after the game Sean Casey said that Dice K was leaving pitches up, like i said he was doing in Tampa. Tampa was just a batting order already in a major slump.

frankiesfly is a closet racist, a sox fan who said he wishes that a line drive hits dice-k in the face. 'nuff said.

he can't explain why dice-k keeps getting better and better, why his last half-dozen starts are better than how he was at the beginning of the season... he has to fall back on his 'gut', and his insistence based on zero facts or logic to support his delusional worldview.

I don't think he's a closet racist. He hasn't been ranting about Okie. I'd say he's more likely a closet Yankee fan. I believe there's 4 teams between the Yankees and the last AL playoff spot. That'd be enough to get any fan saying stuff that makes no sense.

If you are watching the Detroit/Boston game thats my argument. He's not that good like i said. If he played a good team and pitched like he did against Tampa he would get smacked. That's what happened and proved my argument. Now you guys can come back down to reality.:p

well i think we can close the book on one thing....and that's the fact that you can't objectively look at baseball! You refuse to look at the past 5 games dicek pitches saying "i was only talking about the Tampa game" and then as soon as dicek has a bad outing against Detroit you want to use that as a point of emphasis:rolleyes: He had a bad outing against a team that gives a lot of pitchers bad outings...it happens. I would prefer to look at the entire year as a body of work rather than just 1, err 2 games. You seem to just want to cherry pic certain games to help further your point of you hating dicek

Now that the 1st half of the season is over; there are things that the sox need to work on/ worry about.....dice k isn't one of them.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back