PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Diamonds In The Rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all think of Kelton Tindal? He seems to have the size and the measurables just lacking in the production department
Lacking in production is a concern for his level of competition. With his speed he's not facing a lot of defenses capable of staying with him.

Rich Gunnell - WR from Boston College. 5-11 196 lbs. Set the all time BC career receiving yards record this year as a senior. He's a good citizen and leader on the field, not typical for a WR in my book. He had a strong day against USC in the bowl game w/ 5 catches for 117 yards including a 61 yard TD.

Is yet to be invited to the combine.

I forgot about him but he looked great in a couple games I saw this year. Low round pick or udfa.

Would have been the Citadel's WR Andre Roberts -- but he's no longer hidden after his Senior Bowl practices.

RB Deji Karim (mentioned previously), is one to watch in the Texas vs the Nation game. A small school player, there's no denying his running skills.

Would have been the Citadel's WR Andre Roberts -- but he's no longer hidden after his Senior Bowl practices.

RB Deji Karim (mentioned previously), is one to watch in the Texas vs the Nation game. A small school player, there's no denying his running skills.

I like the way you think! My favorite WR and one of my sleepers for RB. I think Karim has the potential to be a Ray Rice/MJD type player. He's short, powerful, elusive, and pretty darn fast. Produces inside, with good pad level. Can break an outside run. Shows well in the return game. Willing blocker. Etc. With so many later round picks, I think we could afford to take a guy like this, and if we somehow magically acquire a fifth, I would begin to consider him that early, although I think he'll be available in the sixth.

Another guy I want to watch is Ramon Harewood, who is seriously overweight right now but could be a terrific RT if he trimmed down a bit. He played rugby all growing up, so he's got pretty decent movement skills for a big guy, but at #360 he needs to lose a lot of weight to even garner cursory consideration, since our scheme prioritizes mobility. Still, he's a 6'6 engineer who's reportedly extremely intelligent and well liked in the locker room. He didn't even start playing football until he reached college, but he was able to dominate at a lower level on his athleticism alone. He'd need a couple years to develop, certainly, but I'd love to have two international giants on the edges of our line.

Danny Batten has been mentioned briefly in this thread already, but only as a DE. When I watch him play, however, he reminds me more of Bruschi than anything, though that may well be a result of wearing 54. :p In all seriousness, he runs pretty well, is very stocky, and looks like he could make the transition to SILB if we do stick with the 34. I'd like to bring him into camp and see how he performs.

UDFA projections: position in parentheses is my projection as to where they might fit for NE. Bold are priority UDFA's in my mind.

Kerry Meier, FB, Kansas (WR)

:confused:

When was he suggested as a FB? He was a former QB. . . .

Danny Batten has been mentioned briefly in this thread already, but only as a DE. When I watch him play, however, he reminds me more of Bruschi than anything, though that may well be a result of wearing 54. :p In all seriousness, he runs pretty well, is very stocky, and looks like he could make the transition to SILB if we do stick with the 34. I'd like to bring him into camp and see how he performs.

I mentioned him elsewhere as one to keep an eye on, and I agree -- I'd play him inside ala Bruschi.

:confused:

When was he suggested as a FB? He was a former QB. . . .
NFLDS has him listed as a FB, I let it stand since he'd need to be working against LBs and Safeties to consistently get open. :cool:

I forgot about him but he looked great in a couple games I saw this year. Low round pick or udfa.

He was especially good in Jeff Jag's pro style type offense with Matt Ryan throwing the ball to him. He still put up decent numbers recently even with the really poor QB's BC has had throwing to him. It seems like a recent trend is that a BC player will have a pretty good career and a good to very good senior season, go undrafted and then still end up as a contributor on an NFL squad. See: Jamie Silva on the Colts, Jo-Lann Dunbar on the Vikes (though he was IR'd this season) -- both UDFA in 2008.

Hoping that Gunnell gets a good opportunity to prove himself. He could be an Eddie Royal type if he pans out.

I've never heard of these players, but they sound interesting at least.

Cam Thomas DT North Carolina
Shawn Lauvao OG Arizona State
Geno Atkins DT Georgia
Jimmy Graham TE Miami (FL)

Senior Bowl in Review

I've never heard of these players, but they sound interesting at least.

Cam Thomas DT North Carolina
Shawn Lauvao OG Arizona State
Geno Atkins DT Georgia
Jimmy Graham TE Miami (FL)

Senior Bowl in Review
Thomas didn't make my radar until the Senior Bowl, but he's definitely a 3-4 DE or NT prospect. I've got him carrying a 2nd round grade, but only because it's a really deep draft for NT (4-3 or 3-4). NC had some talented juniors who hid his light with their own.

Lauvao looks like a zone blocking G candidate, but he didn't appear as technically sound or as naturally strong as I'd like to see. If he's there in the late rounds he's an option.

Atkins is a 4-3 3-tech who reportedly is just now waking up in the predraft season, perhaps he smells money?

Graham is a basketball player with one year of college football trying to take the Antonio Gates trail. He's an interesting TE prospect, but a better fit on teams looking for a tall receiver and not the blocker NE wants.

Last edited:
Okay, I do remember reading about Jimmy Graham before. His height immediately stands out... He and Jason Pierre-Paul seems like two players who will get drafted largely on intrigue and upside alone.

Speaking of Pierre-Paul, I wonder in which round does George Selvie get selected.

Okay, I do remember reading about Jimmy Graham before. His height immediately stands out... He and Jason Pierre-Paul seems like two players who will get drafted largely on intrigue and upside alone.

Speaking of Pierre-Paul, I wonder in which round does George Selvie get selected.
Third or Fourth, and a good value.

Thomas didn't make my radar until the Senior Bowl, but he's definitely a 3-4 DE or NT prospect. I've got him carrying a 2nd round grade, but only because it's a really deep draft for NT (4-3 or 3-4). NC had some talented juniors who hid his light with their own.

Totally agree. Living in NC, I got to see quite a few Tarheel games and it was obvious Thomas was a key guy for their defense. Thomas would effectively cause a traffic jam in the middle of the field and move the LOS backwards. That would allow Carter, Sturdivant and Brown to fly (and I mean fly) to the ball.

Thomas wasn't a penetrator so he doesn't have the numbers to put him in the same company as the top DTs in this draft. But if you are looking for a guy to gum up the works in the middle of the opposing OL, Thomas can certainly do that.

What was the story on Brace? Wasn't he described much like you're describing Thomas now? Not that I'm knocking Thomas (or Brace), but it seems funny that they are possibly drafting a similar guy.

Totally agree. Living in NC, I got to see quite a few Tarheel games and it was obvious Thomas was a key guy for their defense. Thomas would effectively cause a traffic jam in the middle of the field and move the LOS backwards. That would allow Carter, Sturdivant and Brown to fly (and I mean fly) to the ball.

Thomas wasn't a penetrator so he doesn't have the numbers to put him in the same company as the top DTs in this draft. But if you are looking for a guy to gum up the works in the middle of the opposing OL, Thomas can certainly do that.
I'm actually thinking of him at RDE since he has some height to work with.

I'm actually thinking of him at RDE since he has some height to work with.

Is Cam Thomas a better defensive tackle/defensive end prospect than Lamarr Houston? However, can you be more of a defensive end weighting three hundred plus.

Is Cam Thomas a better defensive tackle/defensive end prospect than Lamarr Houston? However, can you be more of a defensive end weighting three hundred plus.
Houston is a possibility, but he's played more one gap. Thomas has played one-gap, but as the NC NT he also was more of a block eater - he's also taller by an inch and has an extra 1 1/4" on his arms. The 331 weight isn't significant as long as he's got the endurance to carry it 60+ minutes 20+ times a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back