PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dezmen Southward

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Outside of possibly Bucannon this kid is my top choice for safety. He is extremely raw but immensely talented. He could be this years Jamie Collins type pick, a player with tremendous upside still learning the game/position.
  • Height: 6002
  • Weight: 211
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.38
  • 20 Yard Dash: 2.52
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.50
  • 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
  • Vertical Jump: 42
  • Broad Jump: 10'04"
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.37
  • 3-Cone Drill: 6.50
He was known as a solid tackler in college, his ball skills need some work but he has only been playing football since his senior year of high school.

There is a good chance he is on the board at #130 or #140 and if so I think, we should pounce. He will be able to contribute immediately on special teams, and like Jamie Collins last season we can work him into the defense as the season progresses.

For all his natural athleticism, something doesn't click for me with this kid.

Amazing athlete, as you noted... but very odd that his father is a college coach at Toledo, and yet he didn't play football until his Senior year of HS.

He then started for a year at St. Thomas Aquinas, which is notable for it's consistent history of elite college/nfl prospects.

On tape, for all his athleticism he was nowhere to be seen on many pass plays, certainly not able to locate the ball with regularity. He would seem to me to be a total LONG SHOT to contribute any time soon, except for on special teams. I do like that he filled in at corner when they had some injuries.

He does have amazing #s, but he is no Jamie Collins, as his football skill-set currently leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, #91 had 10 sacks in his final collegiate season.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back