Welcome to PatsFans.com

Devon Still, scouting report please???

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by juxtapoz15, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juxtapoz15

juxtapoz15 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

I'm a huge Penn State/Patriots fan and a Penn State season ticket holder. Year after year I hope that the Pats draft a Penn State D Lineman and they seem to pass on them consistently (Michael Haynes, Jared Odrick, Navarro Bowman (slightly out of reach though), etc.).

Still was a major backfield presence for Penn State until he was injured towards the end of the season (I believe it was a shoulder injury). And possibly his play dropped due to the Sandusky scandal.

So do you guys think he has the measurables to be picked by the Pats at either #27 or #31. Does he fit BB's definition of a 3-4 DE?

Thanks!
  2. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +891 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

I don't think he's a DE, too heavy etc.

Devon Still, Penn State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. silenthuntr7

silenthuntr7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about Devon Still, because I don't see the Patriots targeting him, and thus I didn't really watch any video of him.

I don't think he's too heavy to play DE in a 3-4, and I've certainly seen some scouting reports out there that say he can play two-gap in a 3-4. That's definitely something pre-2011 Belichick looked for.

I'm honestly just not sure that we're playing 3-4 base this year, and even if we do, if we stay in it enough to have BB value a first-round pick on that position.
  4. supafly

Ratings:
    +891 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

I enjoyed reading your post on Barron, great job. I agree that there seems to be a similar feel to 2007, and expect a trade down on at least one 1st rd pick.

I'm sure that it wouldn't be difficult for Still to shed a bit of weight, so I will agree with your assessment that anything is possible. Where I disagree is that Still may not be the space eating double teamed DE that we'd normally look for in a 3-4, as he doesn't seem to be as good at fighting through 2 guys, but then again--I am certainly not claiming to be a draft expert.

I think you make a good point with the lack of true proof that we're going 'back' to 3-4, but they moved to a lot more 3-4 looks in base as the season wore on. That tells me something.

I think it's worthy of a 'dark horse candidate' pick at 31, or if we move into the mid to late 30's for sure.
  5. silenthuntr7

silenthuntr7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's possible that they do move back to a 3-4, even likely, but not yet certain.

I think I was more referring to the fact that our 3-4 'base' isn't our main defence anymore, our 4-man sub package is. I don't see where still would fit in that, hence my hesitation with picking him.

The intrigue concerning base/sub and 3-4/4-3 is certainly making mocking interesting this year.
  6. supafly

Ratings:
    +891 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

Right, no doubt. I believe the numbers showed that the subs (40 fronts) attributed for about 55% of the snaps last yr, give or take a small percentage.

I think that those numbers come back down a little this year though, due to not seeing as many looks from the 4-3 in base situations, like we saw a lot last yr.

I would have to take an uneducated guess at around 55-45 base, or something along the lines of what it normally is for 3-4 teams.

Any possibility that a guy like Still could move inside and out, depending upon the front? That would still give us a 3 down player at both DT and DE.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.