PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying I don't believe Arrington and Moore should get free passes based on their draft (or lack of draft) spot.

We judge based on results, and right now, McCourty is getting a RIDICULOUS amount of criticism despite playing pretty well this season. Yes, he can do better, and he'll be the first to admit it. But I've grown tired of people blaming him for every reception on the field, even when it's a TE that the safety didn't pick up.

I'm not saying Arrington or Moore should not be criticised, just that it's human nature to hold McCourty to a higher standard.

Hopefully this is the game we all look back to as the game that Devin started to turn things around.

I was thinking this about the entire team (although we still have to cure that big guy splitting the middle on us crap).

I don't see you complaining about Gronkowski's drops. Or Welker's Drops. Or Lloyd's drops. Why complain about McCourty's dropped ints unless you're going to complain when the receivers drop the ball and kill drives..

The presumes that everything is equal. It isn't.

WW has had some drops that have hurt. Gronk has had some drops that have hurt. It happens - just as I noted examples of bad CB play happen. But where I might vocally criticize WW and Gronk is their post possession drops (fumbles) today (unless the number of their dropped passes is significant). TOs are a critical factor in just about every game. And as I mentioned previously, the combination of factors (dropped INTs AND some of the poor plays) made the threshold of deserving SOME criticism for DM. IF WW and Gronk fumble again, damn right they are going to get some criticism - deservedly so. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that two free TOs missed in a single game should not be considered bad plays.

I'm not saying Arrington or Moore should not be criticised, just that it's human nature to hold McCourty to a higher standard.

That's fine, but there's no way he deserves as much of the criticism as he's gotten is all I am saying. He has been our best corner, has 6 passes defensed while Arrington has 1, has been strong in run support, and was voted a captain for his leadership and accountability.

The unfair criticism has led to a total distortion of the player by fans who want blood for some reason. People criticize his frequent penalties. He has 2 penalties on the season, but because 1 was during a critical part of the game, it makes some make false conclusions.

Yes, he can be better. Today, he was much better. Consistency is important. But he's talented, makes plays, and is always a professional and always accountable. He's a great kid and he doesn't deserve the ridiculous scorn from a bunch of fans who can't even correctly identify which corner was covering a receiver half the time.

The presumes that everything is equal. It isn't.

WW has had some drops that have hurt. Gronk has had some drops that have hurt. It happens - just as I noted examples of bad CB play happen. But where I might vocally criticize WW and Gronk is their post possession drops (fumbles) today (unless the number of their dropped passes is significant). TOs are a critical factor in just about every game. And as I mentioned previously, the combination of factors (dropped INTs AND some of the poor plays) made the threshold of deserving SOME criticism for DM. IF WW and Gronk fumble again, damn right they are going to get some criticism - deservedly so. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that two free TOs missed in a single game should not be considered bad plays.

Free TOs? The first one was anything close to an easy TO. That's a tough catch for a receiver to make and he was close to pulling it in.

And if you want to take about free TOs, the easiest potential TO was the lob by Flacco that Arrington could have picked if he didn't trip over his feet.

Not a single word about that from the McCourty bashers though...carry on...

After the bashing he took last week, he deserves his own thread this week.
I would have to go back and watch the film, but from memory he may have caught more than he allowed, with 2 picks and the only completion against him I remember was on the defensive right sideline when he was over there.
And no the late TD was NOT his man, he had the outside receiver and was the closest only because he left his man when the ball went up.

Excellent day by McCourty, perhaps Curran will sit down and interview him this afternoon too.

I said this in defense of him last week. He has had his hands on another 3 balls that could have been INT's. He has put him self in good position but hasn't been able to hold on. I am not sure we are talking about him as some bust if he has what? 5 int's by week 4.

Yes he didn't catch them and yes he has allowed some catches. The guy isn't Revis i can accept that. As long as i keep seeing him work and put himself in good positions to make a play on the ball i am happy.

Does he need to work on his jams at the line? yep. Does he need to work on looking back on the ball? yep. But i am still encouraged that he can be a positive game changer and leader of the secondary for us.

Fixed it for you.
Today was absolutely an A+ corner game. You pretty much can't play better.
I'm not prepared to say he's been excellent Andy but I firmly believe he's back on the upward swing.

I'm not prepared to say he's been excellent Andy but I firmly believe he's back on the upward swing.

I agree with Andy. He played great against Tennessee, Arizona (shutting down Fitzgerald, and today against the Bills. I am in the opinion he did not play poorly against the Ravens. He got burnt on a few plays by a man who was playing with an emotional edge that is likely impossible to ever understand in Tory Smith.

His season stats are 22tackles, 8pdef, 2ints.

Top CB's

Joseph - 17tackles, 4pdef, 1int
Cromartie - 12tackles, 4pdef, 1int

QBs won't throw at you much if they think you'll pick off the bad ones. Who knew?

I agree with Andy. He played great against Tennessee, Arizona (shutting down Fitzgerald, and today against the Bills. I am in the opinion he did not play poorly against the Ravens. He got burnt on a few plays by a man who was playing with an emotional edge that is likely impossible to ever understand in Tory Smith.

Top CB's

Don't confuse playing well with playing excellently 1%er. I'm a fan and have been an ardent supporter of McCourty against those who have been trashing him, but to say his performances have been excellent are a stretch. For the most part they've been very good with a spotty patch here or there.

I said this in defense of him last week. He has had his hands on another 3 balls that could have been INT's. He has put him self in good position but hasn't been able to hold on. I am not sure we are talking about him as some bust if he has what? 5 int's by week 4.

Yes he didn't catch them and yes he has allowed some catches. The guy isn't Revis i can accept that. As long as i keep seeing him work and put himself in good positions to make a play on the ball i am happy.

Does he need to work on his jams at the line? yep. Does he need to work on looking back on the ball? yep. But i am still encouraged that he can be a positive game changer and leader of the secondary for us.

I thought he did a great job playing the ball today, I know its something hes been working on as hes mentioned it and he looked good today, hopefully he can play at this level all year.

I want to see him pick off manning next week as well

Don't confuse playing well with playing excellently 1%er. I'm a fan and have been an ardent supporter of McCourty against those who have been trashing him, but to say his performances have been excellent are a stretch. For the most part they've been very good with a spotty patch here or there.

I see your point and find it valid. My one thought on McCourty is that how many other #1 CB play with as little support as he does from the safety position.

Chung is a big hitter and a good run support guy but he lacks in coverage. Gregory is at best a serviceable safety who would be 3rd string on the majority of teams. I love Tavon and think he will be special but he is still learning the game. So McCourty has a lot of responsibility out on there and shows up week in and week out.

Top CB's

Note: Cromartie is NOT a top corner

He was absolutely excellent today.

Where are the mccouty bashers now, i know there were a lot of them. MCCs a bist MCC the worst CB in the leaughe, MCC should play safety.

Is it really bashing to say that he was targeted by Flacco a lot last week? That said though, brilliant game by him this week.

He was absolutely excellent today.
When I think of an excellent performance I think of Law, Woodson, Revis, Sanders and co at their best as the bench mark. McCourty's performance today would have been a smidgeon below that (in my opinion), thus my rating of very good.

playing better than last year. he will be tested next vs forehead manning

Real good game for McCourty. I thought he was bad last week and that he needed to step up. He basically did just that. He looked confident and made a nice play on the ball on that 2nd pick. Lets hope it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back