PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
D MacDonald more or less shutdown Stevie Wonderless. Good game for him and his athleticism finally pays off. But he was only the 2nd best CB on the field today. Stephen Gilmore outplayed him.

Props to DMC, aside from a the end of the Bmore game he's been great this season IMO. Glad he's finally holding onto the picks now hope that keeps up.

Yeah the good outings have come against bad QB's but last year he was getting tore up and we faced 2 or 3 good QB's all season so he's definitely a step up from last year.

Props to DMC, aside from a the end of the Bmore game he's been great this season IMO. Glad he's finally holding onto the picks now hope that keeps up.

Yeah the good outings have come against bad QB's but last year he was getting tore up and we faced 2 or 3 good QB's all season so he's definitely a step up from last year.

He would have at least 5 Ints now if he held on to the pretty easy ones.

This game offers a good building block for McCourty to build up his confidence. We need DMac to step up this season if we want to go deep in the playoffs. Another test next week against Peyton Manning.

Peyton doesn't have the arm strength to really challenge them anymore. As long as they keep the plays in front of them they'll be fine. It's the CBs who will be mostly tested, IMO.

The danger is weak coverage in the seam opens that up to his weak arm.

You don't need a big arm to put up big yards against this Pats Safety tandem. You just need a medium arm and a WR who can fake a juke.

He would have at least 5 Ints now if he held on to the pretty easy ones.

AJ, this is my issue with DM's performance last week. Sure, he had some screwups but it happens. Yet when you miss 2 INTs that hit you in your hands then couple that with some of those bad plays? DM deserved some of the criticism he got. With that said he gets his due props today (at least from what i saw).

AJ, this is my issue with DM's performance last week. Sure, he had some screwups but it happens. Yet when you miss 2 INTs that hit you in your hands then couple that with some of those bad plays? DM deserved some of the criticism he got. With that said he gets his due props today (at least from what i saw).

He received ridiculously too much criticism last week. Getting in position to stop a play and not making the catch to complete the Int is not a bad play.

He received ridiculously too much criticism last week. Getting in position to stop a play and not making the catch to complete the Int is not a bad play.

Some might call a 'missed opportunity' a 'bad play'?

OT but what have you thought of Moore's play so far this year? I remember you use to be critical of him.

Last edited:
Still not sold on McCourty. I'll withhold judgement until next Sunday, after Peyton comes to town.

The problem is that defenders, and especially CBs, cannot even have a bad play. If the offense misses a play, the usual negative is just a lost down. A defender makes a mistake and the spotlight is on.

The fact is that CB's get beaten, it's part of the game, especially in the NFL where there are good QBs and good WRs. Devin is arguably the best of the five CB's taken at the end of the 1st round of that draft (better than Wilson and Jackson, questionable against Robinson and the guy drafted by Atlanta).

And as a side note, Brandon Harris, the next CB taken after Ras-I, has been a healthy scratch his whole career. I'd call a someone taken in the upper 2nd round who can't even make the game day roster 20 games into his career a bust.

Not sure which commentator said it but I loved the line after McCourty's first INT.
"That used to be a simultaneous catch"

Still not sold on McCourty. I'll withhold judgement until next Sunday, after Peyton comes to town.
Next week is when our secondary needs to step and perform like Boldin. Lots of man on man coverage with the Broncos spreading it out, I should think.

I wonder whom the Broncos target if anyone. I suspect they'll go after Arrington and Chung, who is out of position far too often.

OT but what have you thought of Moore's play so far this year? I remember you use to be critical of him.

havent studied his play in detail but its been about what i expect, tries hard, lacks skill

Some might call a 'missed opportunity' a 'bad play'?

But his play included creating the opportunity. A bad play would be to get beaten.
Now a missed opportunity can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game, but it is not the same as playing poorly.

not sold on McCourty at all, both picks were gifts as Fitz severely underthrew both balls.

-Inconsistent in man 2 man coverage
-can't play the ball in the air (not just his problem, no CB on this team plays the ball, they all watch the receiver pull in the reception then attempt shoddy tackling)

not sold on McCourty at all, both picks were gifts as Fitz severely underthrew both balls.

-Inconsistent in man 2 man coverage
-can't play the ball in the air (not just his problem, no CB on this team plays the ball, they all watch the receiver pull in the reception then attempt shoddy tackling)

When you get a chance you should watch todays game.

As someone who thought McCourty played well for most of the game last week (although the bad plays were really bad), I thought he had a great game today. Fitzpatrick just didn't have open men in his direction.

Ironically, the only time I saw McCourty with less than great coverage was on the first INT. Obviously you can't see his coverage on every down, but from what I saw he looked as good as any CB short of the Revis' of the world.

I don't see you complaining about Gronkowski's drops. Or Welker's Drops. Or Lloyd's drops. Why complain about McCourty's dropped ints unless you're going to complain when the receivers drop the ball and kill drives..

I don't see you complaining about Gronkowski's drops. Or Welker's Drops. Or Lloyd's drops. Why complain about McCourty's dropped ints unless you're going to complain when the receivers drop the ball and kill drives..

That is the thing I don't understand. McCourty is getting more crap from dropped INTs than receivers are getting for catches that should be made. The old saying is that if McCourty had great hands, he would have been a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes