PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty, Vince Wilfork fined

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was okay with the fines and all that initially, but I'm rethinking it now. It's not just because it's Patriots involved, though I think the fine on the McCourty hit is just ridiculous, but because I've seen a few others that are highly questionable as well. I think that it is getting out of control and I agree with Polumalu and others that think the NFL has too much power in dictating who gets punished and who doesn't. The competition committee (and the other powers that be) is going to have to take a long, hard look at this situation in the offseason.

Last edited:
The fines are ridiculous, especially against McCourty. He aimed low, the receiver bobbled the ball and lowered his head looking for it, there's no way that is Devin's fault.

I know I've said it a few times now but it bears repeating. If the NFL wants to reduce the risk of concussion, make it mandatory that all players use the special mouth-pieces that the Patriots use, and make it mandatory that all players use the special helmets that reduce the risk of concussions. It's all optional right now. Implementing this simple rule would do way more to reduce head injuries than all of these ridiculous fines.

Waiting for Sanchez's fine for the face mask he did on Cunningham.

Waiting for Sanchez's fine for the face mask he did on Cunningham.

Same here. :( Especially since we know O players aren't immune after Moreno was fined this week.

Same here. :( Especially since we know O players aren't immune after Moreno was fined this week.

I'd still like to know the ratio of Offensive fines to Defensive fines is. I'm sure it's extraordinarily lopsided on the Defensive side. :rolleyes:

They really outta start fining for illegal chop blocks to the knees. Would make it seem like the league isn't as bias to offensive players.

The fines are ridiculous, especially against McCourty. He aimed low, the receiver bobbled the ball and lowered his head looking for it, there's no way that is Devin's fault.

I know I've said it a few times now but it bears repeating. If the NFL wants to reduce the risk of concussion, make it mandatory that all players use the special mouth-pieces that the Patriots use, and make it mandatory that all players use the special helmets that reduce the risk of concussions. It's all optional right now. Implementing this simple rule would do way more to reduce head injuries than all of these ridiculous fines.

For such a complicated problem, this answer seems too easy for an age that wants to convene committees, then do a study, then review the study, then talk about it some more.. have to wonder why so many have not availed themselves of the technology available.

For such a complicated problem, this answer seems too easy for an age that wants to convene committees, then do a study, then review the study, then talk about it some more.. have to wonder why so many have not availed themselves of the technology available.

The death by committee is always bad, but the way Goodell unilaterally started imposing fines mid-season on certain types of hits is equally as awful.

And I know it's not the entire solution, the helmets and mouthpieces wouldn't eliminate concussions altogether. But they would reduce them significantly. This study showed a reduction of 31% by the switch of helmets. And it is a simple change that could be done overnight. I have no good answers as to why it hasn't been implemented.

The death by committee is always bad, but the way Goodell unilaterally started imposing fines mid-season on certain types of hits is equally as awful.

And I know it's not the entire solution, the helmets and mouthpieces wouldn't eliminate concussions altogether. But they would reduce them significantly. This study showed a reduction of 31% by the switch of helmets. And it is a simple change that could be done overnight. I have no good answers as to why it hasn't been implemented.

The patriots should at least seriously consider making their players wear them. If Brady or Wilfork or any of the top players got a concussion and had to miss out a game because they didn't wear the special helmet that would be dumb. Considering how many concussions they've been getting they are probably going to look it over.

Ditto on the all the complaints on the McCourty hit. Just a horrible call on the field and a worse decision to fine him. The only complaint you can make on the Wilfolk call except the non holding call on the play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey