PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: Really That Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most teams had Kyle Wilson ranked higher but Mccourty is much better suited to our system. He's a solid first rounder IMO. He's very slightly stiff in the hips which concerns me a little but really only if we played more man to man which we don't and won't.

He's not that stiff in his hips. And even if he was, his backwards velocity would make up for significant hip stiffness anyway. McCourty is fast, quick and can change direction very quickly. This guy is a keeper.

We got a 1st round quality corner in the first round, as many of us projected we would. In the end, I trust Belichick's judgement with regard to which corner was best for our system. The day before the draft I thought that we would be choosing between McCourty and Wilson (and perhaps Jackson although I though he would be gone).

It is way to early to guess whether he will have an immediate impact in 2010 and when. He may or may not be better than Wilhite by Game One.

The day before the draft I thought that we would be choosing between McCourty and Wilson (and perhaps Jackson although I though he would be gone).

Really? Did you say as much in a post? If so you get some serious kudos for a bold prediction.

Did anyone pick McCourty?

I did a post about how the Patriots should consider a DB but everyone thought I was nutz. I probably am nutz but I have always felt that a good secondary improves the pass rush.

As I recall, discussion before the draft was a bit different on the main board and the draft board. On the draft board, a corner was considered very likely by many posters.

There were lots who had us picking Odrick or a corner. Many were more sure than even I that we were picking a corner. Check out the threads on the draft board a couple of days after the draft. I had started a thread before the draft that was bumped discussing Wilson.

When Bodden was re-signed, I thought that we were done. I liked McCourty even then, as did others. As the week drew closer, it became clear to lots of us that it was Odrick or a corner, and that Odrick was becoming less and less likely.

As far as which corner, many nailed McCourty. I wasn't sure which of the three Belichick wanted.

Really? Did you say as much in a post? If so you get some serious kudos for a bold prediction.

Did anyone pick McCourty?

I did a post about how the Patriots should consider a DB but everyone thought I was nutz. I probably am nutz but I have always felt that a good secondary improves the pass rush.

As I recall, discussion before the draft was a bit different on the main board and the draft board. On the draft board, a corner was considered very likely by many posters.

There were lots who had us picking Odrick or a corner. Many were more sure than even I that we were picking a corner. Check out the threads on the draft board a couple of days after the draft. I had started a thread before the draft that was bumped discussing Wilson.

Possible but I seem to remember that it was all for a pass rusher like Odrick or Hughes. Most the posters were pining away for Hughes. I would like to see the thread that predicted a CB or especially McCourty.

Just go the draft forum and go down about four pages. There are several threads.

Possible but I seem to remember that it was all for a pass rusher like Odrick or Hughes. Most the posters were pining away for Hughes. I would like to see the thread that predicted a CB or especially McCourty.

Last edited:
Did I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread comparing McCourty to Revis? Whoah boy...

I know that Marvin Harrison always lined up in the same place and I am sure other WRs do it as well.
Harrison always lined up at the same position (Z, if I remember correctly), but moved around quite a bit.

yea im excited to see him play, i think people were more upset about the position than the player, no one was really looking at CB as a 1st round need so we didnt really look at the potential 1st round CBs, so when his name was announced im sure there was a collective "WHAT?!?!??!?!" in patriot land

There was a collective "WTF" in "Belize" branch of Patriot land too that day. We were all hoping we'd land a DE or OLB to help out the non-existent pass rush. However, in the end im glad we got a CB, hopefully he learns fast and well enough to cover, can't wait to see him and Butler in pads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back