PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: Really That Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much did poor communication in the secondary burn NE last year?

One of McCourty's strengths is his communication. Haven't heard that discussed much over here.

The biggest difference is between nickel backs and outside guys, simply because of the type of WRs that they're covering.

Nickel backs spend a lot of time covering slot receivers, so they need a skillset that's similar to a slot receiver: great burst, quick change of direction, solid tackling since a lot of slot receivers murder you on YAC, etc. With an edge WR, it's more important they they be able to backpedal quickly, turn their hips, get into a full-on sprint, and have the leaping ability to contest jump balls.

Personally, I figure that the Pats want McCourty on the outside because, if they wanted a nickel back, they could have just picked Kyle Wilson. Wilson's skills are better for playing the Welker types, McCourty is better for playing the Moss types.

Right, but I'm mainly wondering the difference between LCB and RCB. Or does our defense use a strong side/weak side alignment with corners? Or do they line up based on matchups with certain receivers?

Nah, it started when one of the rejects at ESPN, while shuffling through his papers, said "still, it's strange that they'd pick a special teamer in the first round" or something to that effect. The ESPN guys were convinced that we had taken him for his special team skills, but to be fair everyone here *should* have realized that that assessment said more about ESPN than McCourty.

I was watching ESPN coverage. No one implied he was picked for his special teams skills. They mentioned it in the analysis which is uncommon, but they didnt come close to implying we were picking a special teamer, that was this board.

The biggest difference is between nickel backs and outside guys, simply because of the type of WRs that they're covering.

Nickel backs spend a lot of time covering slot receivers, so they need a skillset that's similar to a slot receiver: great burst, quick change of direction, solid tackling since a lot of slot receivers murder you on YAC, etc. With an edge WR, it's more important they they be able to backpedal quickly, turn their hips, get into a full-on sprint, and have the leaping ability to contest jump balls.

Personally, I figure that the Pats want McCourty on the outside because, if they wanted a nickel back, they could have just picked Kyle Wilson. Wilson's skills are better for playing the Welker types, McCourty is better for playing the Moss types.

Teams dont draft corners to be nickels. Drafting a corner in round 1 means you are drafting a starter, but most corners start out playing in nickel packages. Sometimes the 3rd corner plays outside and the 'starter' moves inside. Of course that assumes its man coverage also. In any event, McCourty is BOTH more skilled covering outside recievers and slot receivers than Wilhite. We aren't going to put Wilhite in and leave McCourty on the sidelines because Wilhite is better inside than outside (which I don't accept as an assumption) when McCourty is better at everything than Wilhite.

Right, but I'm mainly wondering the difference between LCB and RCB. Or does our defense use a strong side/weak side alignment with corners? Or do they line up based on matchups with certain receivers?

Ther distinction is minor.
There is a difference in zone coverage when you are on the strong vs eak side. Some teams and QBs favor one side of the field or the other,and/or put their top WR on one side most of the time.
But one shift makes weak strong and strong weak, so while film and stat review can tell you what is most likely, when you play conrers left and right, they have interchangable duties.

McCourty is light years ahead of where Butler was at this time last year. Rutgers runs a variation of the Pats defense so I don't see a huge transition for him since some of the concepts are similar. I know its early to make him a starter but I think he will be just that by mid season

I must say that I'm starting to feel really good about this kid. I knew nothing of him coming out of college, as I have not watched many Rutgers games (or Big East games for that matter). Everything I've read thus far suggests that he is going to be really good (understanding that they haven't been in pads yet). To those who have actually seen the kid, is he really that good?

Here is another short excerpt that speaks to his positive play so far:

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I went to Rutgers undergrad and grad school and have seen every Rutgers game for the last 8 years. I can say that I was super pissed when the Pats took him. I have never seen him make an impact play on defense, however he made many impact plays on special teams. However that could be because nobody threw to his side.
I can say without a doubt that he had outstandng "system" coaching from Schiano. Maybe the best defensive mind in college football. He is an outstanding kid who has never gotten in to trouble, he was also an excellent student. So while I never saw him dominate the game, I never saw him lose the game either.

Teams dont draft corners to be nickels. Drafting a corner in round 1 means you are drafting a starter, but most corners start out playing in nickel packages. Sometimes the 3rd corner plays outside and the 'starter' moves inside. Of course that assumes its man coverage also. In any event, McCourty is BOTH more skilled covering outside recievers and slot receivers than Wilhite. We aren't going to put Wilhite in and leave McCourty on the sidelines because Wilhite is better inside than outside (which I don't accept as an assumption) when McCourty is better at everything than Wilhite.

Kyle Wilson is a prototypical nickel back. Revis and Cromartie are obviously their outside starters, and Wilson is their nickel, but he got drafted in round 1. A couple years ago the Chargers drafted QUentin Jammer in round 1 even though they had 2 starter-caliber CBs, and AJ Smith explicitly said that it as because, in today's NFL, you need 3 starter-caliber CBs. Nowadays, the nickel back is a starter. The Patriots take over 50% of their snaps out of the nickel, as do most teams. The Pats' nickel back takes more snaps than some of our 'starters'.

Last edited:
I went to Rutgers undergrad and grad school and have seen every Rutgers game for the last 8 years. I can say that I was super pissed when the Pats took him. I have never seen him make an impact play on defense, however he made many impact plays on special teams. However that could be because nobody threw to his side.
I can say without a doubt that he had outstandng "system" coaching from Schiano. Maybe the best defensive mind in college football. He is an outstanding kid who has never gotten in to trouble, he was also an excellent student. So while I never saw him dominate the game, I never saw him lose the game either.

Hmmm, you're less harsh on McCourty now, I see. Perhaps because he's impressing in camp?

I have no idea what makes you so down on him, by every account he shut down his side of the field against both the pass and the run:

In the last 38 contests, Rutgers has allowed the opposition to complete 572-of-1,038 passes (55.11 percent) for 7,144 yards, 36 touchdowns and 32 interceptions. Against McCourty, the Scarlet Knights opponents attempted 249 throws, completing just 88 (35.34 percent) for 684 yards and only two scores, an average of 7.77 yards per pass completion. He has allowed just 2.75 yards per pass attempt, the lowest figure of any active player in the Big East Conference.

While those figures are very impressive, they do not tell the entire story of this shutdown cornerback's ability. Against his main pass coverage assignments, McCourty has held those receivers to only 42 receptions for 386 yards on 158 passes targeted into his area, meaning that quarterbacks have completed just 26.58 percent of those tosses and their intended targets were limited to 9.19 yards per pass completion and 2.44 yards per attempt.

Those same receivers averaged 33.84 catches for 430.05 yards (12.71 yards per catch) and 2.47 touchdowns per season vs. other cornerbacks they faced. Devin has proven to be an excellent press coverage defender, as his excellent field vision has seen him make plays on the ball 45.39 percent of the time outside his area, coming to the aid after a teammate had blown an assignment. He has jammed/rerouted those pass catchers away from 148 incomplete attempts (average of 3.84 per game), the most of any cornerback in the Division I ranks during that span.

He also was superb in run support:

While developing his shutdown cornerback skills, McCourty is not only a top-notch coverage defender, but has also excelled playing inside the box. He made 91 of his 236 tackles in run support (38.56 percent) and has proven to be a drive-killer, as he registered an incredible 94 third-down stops and 33 more on fourth-down action (38.60 percent of his plays made resulted in killing the opposition's series).

Devin McCourty, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Not sure why you thought he had no impact; those are extraordinary results.

Last edited:
I was watching ESPN coverage. No one implied he was picked for his special teams skills. They mentioned it in the analysis which is uncommon, but they didnt come close to implying we were picking a special teamer, that was this board.

My recollection that night was that they were saying the patriots had just selected a ST player. I may have it recorded on the DVR so can double check.

A team's number 1 WR usually lines up on the strong side, since most QBs are right handed and the TE usually lines up there as well. This forces the CB covering the WR to honor the pass first, but they must also be able to play the run, since teams often run to the strong side with the RT and TE out there.

The weak side CB is usually covering the number 2 WR and doesn't have to worry about beating blockers to the RB...usually.

The nickel CB has to cover the wes welker style of WR and almost never has to stop the run, unles of course the defense is running the big nickel:eek:

YouTube - 2010 New England Patriots 1st Round Pick-Devin McCourty

Listen to the end, the guy said "in the first round of the draft?" as if the Pats wasted a 1st rounder on a special teams only player.

They only said special teams player 4 times.:D Plus he has no ball skills. He was picked only because of his 40 time too.

I think I'll trust the Patriots rather than a bunch of "experts" that were obviously furiously ruffling through paperwork trying to find out anything on a predicted 1st - 2nd round pick.

Glad to know his brother is something on some team. (Boomer):rolleyes:

Last edited:
He sticks to the man, he just needs to learn to look for the ball.

The times i've seen him beat badly are when he's been lined up out wide and ended up matched up with a beast WR like Andre the Johnson or Reggie Wayne.

This.

The idea that Wilhite can't cover anyone is ridiculous. He's actually very good in COVERAGE. The problem is he has terrible ball awareness. He'll learn.

A team's number 1 WR usually lines up on the strong side, since most QBs are right handed and the TE usually lines up there as well.

Usually being about 55%, right?

There isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't move their receivers back and forth because of matchups.

Lat year. Wheatley had experience, but BB played Butler.

It isn't whether a guy has experience that counts, or if he is a rooke, or whatever. It is who is the best player that week.

Thats right.

You have to earn your playing time on this team. Chung struggled to get on the field and simply didnt play because he was a top pick. In my observations the Pats will keep a guy around who was a relatively high pick to give him time, but the window eventually closes.

Usually being about 55%, right?

There isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't move their receivers back and forth because of matchups.

You might be suprised by the number of teams that usually line their WRs in the same spot most of the time.

Last edited:
You might be suprised by the number of teams that usually line their WRs in the same spot most of the time.

Could you point one out, because I've never seen a team that doesn't move receivers over the course of the game.

Most teams had Kyle Wilson ranked higher but Mccourty is much better suited to our system. He's a solid first rounder IMO. He's very slightly stiff in the hips which concerns me a little but really only if we played more man to man which we don't and won't.

Could you point one out, because I've never seen a team that doesn't move receivers over the course of the game.

I know that Marvin Harrison always lined up in the same place and I am sure other WRs do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back