Welcome to PatsFans.com

Devin Mccourty overall a top 10 cb in the nfl

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by bbell31, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbell31

bbell31 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

If all goes fairly well then he will be a top five cb for years to come. I was wrong about wheatley(had faith in him) but right about wilhite(poor imo), i still think arrington and butler can be solid depth and sergio brown. Id take mccourty up there with almost anyone. top cbs i can think of are revis, samuel, leon hall, j joseph, asomugha, j powers, vontae d, charles woodson, j greer, cortland f, maybe mike jenkins, champ b, dunta r, q jammer both cromarties and the thing is i like mccourty more than most of them becuz of his overall solid game! For me if i had to pick a any corner in the league for years to come right now it would definitely come down to Revis or McCourty, Excellent pick new england, i never saw this guy play in college either thats y i had no incling about him
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

McCourty is nasty. I love that young kid.
  3. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I love Mccourty sky is the limit for him, I simply cannot wait to get him and Bodden on the same field next year. Maybe we can then dial up a few more blitzes and hopefully have some new olb de talent from next years draft class.
  4. bbell31

bbell31 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

exactly, id love to bring cover zero blitzes all the time to where to qb had to throw it in 1.5 secs and we r n press man to man:rocker: our pass d would greatly improve if we could lock down on cb and nickel spots
  5. titan24

titan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Be careful with Woodson, Revis comparisons...however McCourty does look good...
  6. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#11 Jersey
    Meh. He's okay ;)
  7. bbell31

bbell31 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

woodson is great but at end of career, mccourty will b close to as good as revis starting next year i think, mccourty also a special teams ace and patriot type worker, revis gets the nod obviously but mccourty is on the verge of greatness himself:rocker: thk god the jets didnt get mccourty or our passing game would really struggle more against them
  8. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Seriously?

He's played well but he's a rookie! How about he strings together a couple outstanding seasons before you start comparing him to the best in the league
  9. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If you flipped McCourty and put him with the Jets and Revis with the Pats, McCourty would probably look better this year. Revis benefits a lot from the Jets Defensive schemes, a better pass rush, and better talent around him. (or at least the schemes make the talent)
  10. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#32 Jersey
    He also doesn't run his mouth. "Braylon Edwards is a slouch" although would be kinda funny :D .
  11. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Agreed.Like to see him locked in to a long term contract,soon.Probably wont happen but.....
  12. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Already?

Has any NFL team ever extended a first round draft pick in his rookie year?
  13. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

No, but I know a sixth-round pick extended after two years. :D
  14. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I would pick McCourty over anyone right now to be playing with us. I think that although he's young he's also intelligent and a very hard worker. I don't think he's going to become any kind of loud mouth or trash talk player either. Also, Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean that he isn't worthy of being a top 5 cb in the NFL. If he isn't one now then I think that he's darn close.

Overall, I just couldn't be more excited about this guy. When we got him a lot of us, including myself, thought it was a crap pick and we could have gone elsewhere for better value. Now I'm pumped about this dude. You can really tell that he is going to be something special just by watching him now. Even Bill has praised him about being a smart player that really studies film hard and works on improving every aspect of his game. He is going to be our best defensive draft pick since Wilfork.
  15. Bring Back Antowain!

Bring Back Antowain! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sarcasm?

You do realize that he's signed through 2014, don't you?

Actually, the world is ending in 2012, so f*ck long term contract, right? ;)
  16. Brady2Welker

Brady2Welker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He's on a five year contract.

I hope you're drunk.
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Very impressed with him, probably our best Draft Pick in a long time..

Remember all the naysayers after the draft????
  18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Well, at least since Mayo :)

It's been a few good years for the Pats draft-wise, but this year's a bumper crop. I guess we can stop complaining about the Maroney/Jackson draft now...

Although I am still waiting for Chad Jackson to make his mark. No seriously. Okay no I'm not. For a while I wanted him to get on the field. Then I thought maybe the situation was just not right and he had some maturing to do. Then I was wishing him well in Buffalo. Now I am actually waiting for his picture to appear on a milk carton.

God it's good not to have to work so hard to like our draftees :D
  19. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What we do know is that BB has NEVER gushed over a rookie as much as McCourty. Mayo too now that I think about it.
  20. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

21. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    I do apologize as I was one of the people swearing at the T.V when the guy was drafted. Hell, I will say my exact words and man up to them. :D

"WTF!!!! A CB??? When the best WR in the whole F-ing draft is on the board? A CB!!! Bodden and Butler not good enough??
    10 seconds later
    "Who the hell is Mccourty? O great he's a special teams demon. KYLE WILSON WAS ON THE BOARD IF YOU WANTED A CB!!"
    10 minutes later
    "O great the Jets get the shutdown CB, good job Pats."

I am so glad I am just a fan and that is it. :)

One thing I don't get is people saying a CB could be a need for the draft. Mccourty and Bodden will be one of the best duos in the NFL, and Arrington/Butler is good depth.
  22. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I read on ESPN's site that McCourty leads the league in INTs of passes thrown over 15 yards. This is good because Sanchez is 6th in the league in pass attempts over 21 yards and he likes to throw to his right. It is a good match up for the Pats.

Final Word: AFC East - AFC East Blog - ESPN
  23. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Nobody was comparing him to the best in the league (Nnamdi Asomugha) he was being compared to Revis.
  24. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I think Revis has overtaken Nnamdi. But the fact that we're even discussing our rookie CB with the likes of either of those names is still very unreal to me.

I still think Revis is the gold standard, and Devin may be ahead of him as a rookie or may not be, I've read all sorts of different things. It doesn't matter how far ahead or behind he is in year 1 though, but how he continues to progress and improve. He has a long way to go and player growth isn't guaranteed. Then again, a lot of personnel guys say the biggest jump is between year 1 and year 2, so imagine how good he could be?

I love how physical McCourty is, how great he is in run support, and how he has been amazing on deep passes. He still lets receivers get a lot of easy catches on short routes, probably BB's compromise for the rookie so he doesn't get burned on double-moves. But once he starts to work all of that out, the sky is truly the limit for him.
  25. Rexorcism

Rexorcism Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How exactly does it make Revis's season look lame?

I think McCourty has been pretty good so far but he is also on the one of, if not the worst, pass defenses in the NFL.
  26. nyjet17

nyjet17 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

27. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

McCourty also doesn't have the advantage of a great pressure scheme. Hell, he doesn't have any pressure scheme in front of him. He plays in zone, he plays in man, he plays in a scheme that is heavily reliant upon polymorphic coverages. To be able to handle all of that as a rookie is incredible. Credit to Coach Schiano for getting this cat ready to play.

Oh yeah, and he is going to be *much* better than Revis.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  28. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's actually a fairly accurate comparison. Both played in identical schemes as rookies, both had little help up front. The difference is that Revis was tested early and often with not that much to show for it. McCourty is rarely thrown at and is doing significantly more with less opportunity.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  29. Rexorcism

Rexorcism Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

last year Revis had one of, if not the greatest, single season any CB has ever had. I think being *much* better would take super powers.
  30. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#11 Jersey
    I really don't understand why people keep saying Revis had the best CB season of all time last year. Woodson won DPOY and he's another CB in the league.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.