PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty around the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that there were that many dbs drafted. I doubt that kindle is there at 44

7th, 20th, 27th, 29th, and 32nd and with teams still in need of CBs picking ahead of them tomorrow...they saw the writing on the wall and jumped on him when they had the chance.

And Kindle is likely to go at 40th tomorrow if he is selected ahead of the Patriots, Miami is the only team that I have seen that still has a strong need for an OLB that hasn't taken one yet that picks ahead of the Patriots. If BB wants him bad enough he will take a 6th and/or 7th round pick to swap spots: Cleveland, KC, and old pal Oakland pick ahead of Miami and could wait to fulfill their needs at 44.

7th, 20th, 27th, 29th, and 32nd and with teams still in need of CBs picking ahead of them tomorrow...they saw the writing on the wall and jumped on him when they had the chance.

And Kindle is likely to go at 40th tomorrow if he is selected ahead of the Patriots, Miami is the only team that I have seen that still has a strong need for an OLB that hasn't taken one yet that picks ahead of the Patriots. If BB wants him bad enough he will take a 6th and/or 7th round pick to swap spots: Cleveland, KC, and old pal Oakland pick ahead of Miami and could wait to fulfill their needs at 44.

Miami's going after Terrance Coty tomorrow. They need a NT.

God, I hope you're right. I just personally thought that Kindle was quite a bit better than some of those rd 2 guys. I didn't feel the same way about Odrick, which is why I'm fine passing on him.

a few months ago I slated Odrick best fit as a 4-3 DT, but this board hypnotized me into being ok with taking him in the first round. I wish I stuck to my guns. When I saw the 27 and 28th picks my initial reaction was bad. We'll see how it plays out though.

Anyone see the tweet or whatever that Reiss sent saying Michael Smith had said we were not looking at Odrick or Kindle? Does this mean just at 24 (it was at that point) or overall?

Could mean overall but you never know.

Belichick just said they would have taken McCourty at 22 but felt they could still get him with the trades down. Obviously he was high on their board.

In a small way it would seem odd to trade up in the 2nd to take Kindle if you wouln't take him in the 1st. However, with the run on corners late in the round, I think a Kindle in the 1st and McCourty in the 2nd seems MUCH less likely than flipping the players and still getting both.

Ummm.... I doubt it. There were 5 CBs taken in the first round. Kindle is still not drafted. We could have McCorty at 27 and Kindle in the second round.

Do people not realize that Kindle wasn't drafted tonight and the Pats still could draft him.

Its not that McCourty might not be a good cornerback. It is what this pick says about Belichick's prior picks in Wilhite and Wheatley. Is this an admission that those picks were mistakes?

Even allowing for McCourty as a good player, you are still left with what might have been: two chances to get Dez Bryant.... two chances. We can only wonder what might have been. It is not as if this team is loaded in the receiver department after having exercised self-denial when it came to free agency (Boldin) or trades (Holmes or Marshall). With Moss set to depart and Welker on an injury sabbatical for half the season, the Pats desperately needed playmakers -- young playmakers to boost the wide receiver corps. Bryant is an elite talent who would never have lasted till the Pats pick were it not for some questions. Those questions could have been managed. Now we will have to see him develop as a Cowboy. Or we could have taken Thomas, the receiver Denver took. Nevermind....

Of course, there is tomorrow. We'll see all the optimists hold their breath for Kindle or some favorite player. The team still needs passrushers, wide receiver, tightend..... on and on.

For tonight, we are left with what might have been......if we had dared.

a few months ago I slated Odrick best fit as a 4-3 DT, but this board hypnotized me into being ok with taking him in the first round. I wish I stuck to my guns. When I saw the 27 and 28th picks my initial reaction was bad. We'll see how it plays out though.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Kindle's at the very beginning of the research process, and knew that Graham was not coming here, I LOVED Dunlap right away, and learned to really like Lane. Like you with Odrick, I somehow fell in the Kindle bandwagon about a month or so ago. I gotta remember to keep the heart out of it when it comes to BB and the draft. Every year I just get sucked in.

Pass rush wasn't a bigger need?

How bout WR?

They had Bryant SITTING there @ 24 and didn't pull the trigger...

Dez Bryant was sitting there for a lot of teams who didn't pull the trigger. I'm unfazed by this argument.

Kindle has a bad knee. There's a reason why everyone pass on him, and it's because nobody knows how healthy he really is.

Bad knee...how far down does he slip based on projected needs of other teams?

They have the best shot at getting him at 44, does he last until 47 or 53 so they can get a one or two other pressing positions?

Last edited:
Kindle has a bad knee. There's a reason why everyone pass on him, and it's because nobody knows how healthy he really is.

Yeah, plus the narcolepsy and ADD...

You know we never pay attention to what Bill says. He said this week that the guys they bring in to Gillette aren't there for workouts, you can't work them out on a visit. They are there to probe medical questions...

Last edited:
Bad knee...how far down does he slip based on projected needs of other teams?

They have the best shot at getting him at 44, does he last until 47 or 53 so they can get a one or two other pressing positions?

Frankly, I'm not sure that they're targeting him at all. If you think that a guy's too risky to warrant picking in the 2nd round, does knowing that someone else will pick him in the second round change your assessment? Of course not. But I don't totally blame the Pats if they insist that their second round picks come with a clean bill of health.

2uid4pl.gif
I have been laughing at this for the better part of quite a while. Can I nominate it for post of the year?

Devin McCourty had a grand total of 2 picks in the last 2 years. He has made as many impact plays as The Scarlet Knight himself!!! He is a special teams player, we should have drafted a punter instead. At least we would have filled a bigger need. Worst first round pick ever, I think BB was just jealous of all the attention Mangini generated when he took Gholston. McCourty will be out of football in 5 years tops.
You sound like the guy has slighted you somehow. It's evident in the tone of the post. I'll keep a keen eye on your opinion and how McCourty's career unfolds.

For the world is ending types. How many times does it need to be said just how strong a position the Patriots are in tomorrow for the 2010 and 2011 draft positions. Knobs.

Last edited:
They could ahve gotten the same pick in round 3 or 4 his name Javier Arenas from Alabama. Bill ever see him on kickoffs and punts and he can get one pick and play in the sec.

Who cares who people are in love with? If you listened to the fans on this board two years ago, the Pats totally blew the draft because they didn't trade up over the Jets to get a stud like Vernon Gholston and instead traded down and reached for Jarod Mayo.

None of us know how any of these draft picks will do. I guarantee you plenty of the picks that people will be touting across the country tonight will be busts and the ones that people are scratching their heads about will turn into Pro Bowlers.

Amen to that. Exactly. Nobody knows.

Doesn't BB's son go to Rutgers?

I'm guessing he's seen McCourty play in person a ton.

Draftniks do not see these players the same way NFL personnel people seem to.

I find it somewhat ironic that we would've all been happy to get Darius Butler in Round 1 last year and now we're miffed that BB drafted McCourty at 27. I admit that I was also surprised, given who was still on the board. But I'm miffed EVERY year. In hindsight, this pick makes perfect sense. The pats always have a weak secondary link when teams come out in multiple receiver sets. They need ball skills back there...everywhere, or Peyton (Manning), or Payton (Sean) will exploit them.

I still trust in Floyd Reese. I like what I'm seeing from his brief tenure. He'll help turn this team back into a contender personnel-wise. If only he could draft coordinators. It'll be interesting to see how tonight pans out.

The Patriots generally go with safe picks in round one. Avoiding busts is more important that hitting home runs. They take more chances in the second round, which is definitely a hit-or-miss round for them.

In evaluating risk, I think the Patriots look at players available vs. their own roster. In looking at the Patriots' roster, I think nickel corner was one of their weakest positions. One of the safest picks for them was someone to step in and replace Wilhite, who was positively awful last year. Given the way Wilhite played last year, this may have been the lowest-risk strategy for round one. BB will probably roll the dice a bit more today and Saturday.

Last edited:
Love that probably the only guy on this board qualified to have a valid opinion about Mccourty - an actual Rutgers alum who watched all the games - is being ridiculed because he dares to disagree with BB. Classic patsfans.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back