PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty around the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
but passing up on bryant? that's what i don't get. i'm not saying this guy is going to be bad and could very well be solid, but we don't need a CB now.

personally i didnt mind passing bryant. Remember even denver didnt take him but took another WR. So similar schemes and pats probably thought he wont be able to fit here. After chad jackson i dont want another bust early in the round. ..

7 of the picks are in the 6th round or later including compensation picks that I believe cannot be traded.

They have the 12th pick tomorrow. Do you really see them moving up to the top?

Sorry, my mind was still in a two day draft. They have 12 picks left. They do have four picks tomorrow though. They may only need a fifth or a sixth to package together with a second to move up to get Kindle though depending how he falls. The Pats may be able to move up to one of the top three picks tomorrow by packaging their third woith a second. Clausen will likely be one of the first picks of the second round. There are other players still available.

If the Pats don't get Kindle, there are still other guys the Pats can target who are pretty good like Ricky Sapp and Everson Griffin (he was a guy I wanted the Pats to target in the second round anyway).

they traded down pick up a 3rd round pick and they still could of had kindle or odrick, and they take ellis hobbs, 2.0 in the first round im shocked.

Last edited:
Devin McCourty had a grand total of 2 picks in the last 2 years. He has made as many impact plays as The Scarlet Knight himself!!! He is a special teams player, we should have drafted a punter instead. At least we would have filled a bigger need. Worst first round pick ever, I think BB was just jealous of all the attention Mangini generated when he took Gholston. McCourty will be out of football in 5 years tops.

Richard Seymour didn't fill a stat sheet in college.

Notice that last year's Superbowl Champ also drafted a CB in the 1st round?

Everyone knows that you need to be able to defend high octane passing offenses like the Colts and the Saints to stand a chance of winning the Superbowl. BB has noticed this trend as well.

And, so have you.

This means bye bye Wilhite. Wheatley needs to get his bags ready too.

A) How likely is a WR to contribute as a rookie in our offense? BB clearly felt not much because he traded the slot that both were picked in. How likely is Dez Bryant to be the guy smart enough to pick up our offense:rolleyes:
B) Odrick would be langusing on the bench this season. He isnt beating out Wright and Lewis, 2 seasoned veterans who are solid players. We are fine on the DL.
C) Why cant we draft pass rushers in the 2nd round? Kindle is still there too.

A) I agree, Bryant in the end probably would not have been smart enough (and as I stated yesterday next year's draft is very good for wideouts, and hey we have Holt here for a year)

B) I was never an Odrick fan, I liked the guys in the second round just as much, if not better. If you look at the corners in the second round there's a huge drop off. BB got the value once again.

C) Here's where I disagree, I think Kindle is that much better than Misi, Teo Nesheim, Sapp etc. And, I don't see Kindle within reach at 44. Now if we somehow land Dunlap, then I'll be very very happy! I'm still shocked Alualu went so early.

No Dez Bryant, no Kindle...... this guy better be the second coming of D Revis.

MY HEAD HURTS.
I think we could have had this guy in the second rnd. We could have taken Kindle or Huhes at 27 and mccourty in the second makes my head hurt too.

Last edited:
A) How likely is a WR to contribute as a rookie in our offense? BB clearly felt not much because he traded the slot that both were picked in. How likely is Dez Bryant to be the guy smart enough to pick up our offense:rolleyes:
B) Odrick would be langusing on the bench this season. He isnt beating out Wright and Lewis, 2 seasoned veterans who are solid players. We are fine on the DL.
C) Why cant we draft pass rushers in the 2nd round? Kindle is still there too.

Didn't Edelman contribute this year, or was that someone else. And if not Bryant, then Thomas. With that way of thinking, we should never draft a WR.

Devin McCourty had a grand total of 2 picks in the last 2 years. He has made as many impact plays as The Scarlet Knight himself!!! He is a special teams player, we should have drafted a punter instead. At least we would have filled a bigger need. Worst first round pick ever, I think BB was just jealous of all the attention Mangini generated when he took Gholston. McCourty will be out of football in 5 years tops.

The Saints didn't destroy us because we didn't intercept Brees. It was because they're WRs were wide open.

Having good coverage on someone and forcing the QB to hold the ball for a sack or throw a bad pass is a "impact play" that doesn't show in the stat sheet.

Dissapointing

All these accumulated 3-5 rounders that will be out of the league in a couple years, or maybe not even make the team.

We shouldve traded up to take Brandon Graham. He will be the best Defensive Player in the first round not named Suh.

We couldve even taken Jerry Hughes. But he went later to the Colt, where I expect him to become a beast like Mathis and Freeney while we stick with Tully Banta Cain and ???

Over the past few years we've drafted Wilhite(4), Wheatley(2), Meriweather(1), Chung(2), Butler(2), and now McCourtney(1).

Thats 6 high round picks on DB's. In that same time span, the only OLB we've drafted is Crable(3) and he hasnt played a down in regular season yet due to injuries.

This is seriously irritating.

Last edited:

Picks are not everything. Darrelle Revis was the best CB in the game last year and only had 6 INTs (there were 11 DBs who had as many or more picks). Nnamdi Asomugha was the best in the league prior to this year and he has had 3 pick in the last three years. Now I am not comparing McCorty to these two in terms of talent except to show picks does not tell the entire story.

The lack of INTs tell me he doesn't have great hands, but that doesn't mean he can't cover. Meriweather had the worst hands when he first came here and had 5 picks last year. That is something that can be improved.

I think we could have had this guy in the second rnd. We could have taken Kindle at 27 and mccourty in the second makes my head hurt too.

You might be right. But there seems to have been run on CBs late first round tonight.

Didn't Edelman contribute this year, or was that someone else. And if not Bryant, then Thomas. With that way of thinking, we should never draft a WR.

well..why didnt denver take bryant and instead took another WR ? there has to be some concern there...

Is DaBruinz around ?

I had said that we would have been better off drafting the combination of Curtis Loftin and DRC in place of what BB selected with Mayo and Wheatley and DaBruinz said I was wrong.

DaBruinz what does the McCourty pick tell you about how they feel about pissing through that #2 on Wheatley ?

The Saints didn't destroy us because we didn't intercept Brees. It was because they're WRs were wide open.

Having good coverage on someone and forcing the QB to hold the ball for a sack or throw a bad pass is a "impact play" that doesn't show in the stat sheet.

Agreed. But, even the best corners can't stay with their men for 39 seconds.

Before posting denegrating the pick, do a little research, the kid seems to make a lot more impact plays than you give him credit for: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563691
In 52 games at Rutgers, McCourty started the last 39 contests at weak-side cornerback, recording 238 tackles (149 solos) with a 4-yard sack (two assisted), 14.0 stops for minus-34 yards, two pressures, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries … Deflected 27 passes and intercepted six others for 105 yards in returns (17.5-yard average) and two touchdowns … Also blocked seven kicks (six punts, one field goal) for 102 yards in returns, as six blocks led to Rutgers scoring drives (also scored on an interception return, another on a kickoff return, had two other pass thefts that set up Scarlet Knights scoring drives and a fumble recovery that led to a Rutgers touchdown) … Registered 49 special teams tackles that included 28 stops on the kickoff squad and 21 more for the punt unit … In his last 39 games, the opposition managed to complete just 35.20 percent of the passes thrown into his area (88-of-250) for 684 yards and just two scores, as they averaged 7.77 yards per pass completion and 2.75 yards per pass attempt … During that span, McCourty defended 33 passes (six thefts, 27 deflections) and rerouted his main pass coverage assignments, preventing them from getting to 148 other throws … McCourty's three blocked kicks in 2007 were the most by a Division I player in a season since James King of Central Michigan blocked a total of seven kicks in 2001 … His total of 49 tackles on special teams are the most by a Big East Conference player during the 2006-09 season time span … His total of 94 third-down stops (78 vs. the pass, 16 vs. the run) are the most of any active defensive back in college football and the most of any active Big East player … Also registered 35 fourth-down stops during his time with the Scarlet Knights … His two interception returns for touchdowns are tied for seventh on the conference season-record list … His 98-yard kickoff return vs. Connecticut in 2009 tied Hall Conors (vs. Maryland in 1998) for the third-longest kickoff return in school history, topped by 100-yard runbacks by Nate Jones vs. both Syracuse and Tennessee in 2002 … Finished second on the team with 80 tackles in 2009, as an eye injury forced him to miss most of the St. Petersburg Bowl. Prior to that game, he almost became the first cornerback in the history of Rutgers football (university officially began compiling defensive statistics in 1974) to lead the team in tackles during a season (78 during the first 12 games of 2009).

Last edited:
I think we could have had this guy in the second rnd. We could have taken Kindle at 27 and mccourty in the second makes my head hurt too.

Ummm.... I doubt it. There were 5 CBs taken in the first round. Kindle is still not drafted. We could have McCorty at 27 and Kindle in the second round.

Do people not realize that Kindle wasn't drafted tonight and the Pats still could draft him.

How do you know? We can speculate all day, but in the end, a DL we all liked in the 2nd round was the 10th pick of the draft.

As it is, 2 more CBs went in the next 5 picks so the odds that he would still be there tomorrow is less likely.

I wanted Kindle too but he's still there. Teams will probably move up to get Clausen and McCoy so it is still very possible he slides a few more picks and we can move up a little and get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots