PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin Lucien highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He is a long-strider that picks up steam as he gets going. In the highlights he just blows by one CB after another (who are these teams with these slow CBs? The local High School team?), but I doubt he can do that in the NFL. I am not seeing many shifty moves or crisp routes, just deep speed. Good jump ball skills and good after the catch. Good at the WR screen.

I said it in some other thread - Lucien doesn't do any one thing particularly well but he is pretty decent in a bunch of areas. He fits the mold of "solid WR" that can work well in the Patriots offense due to potential versatility. He's not a "burner" and he's not overly "shifty" but he could still very well be an NFL receiver.

Last WR draft highlight video that looked more impressive was Aaron Dobson :p

He is a long-strider that picks up steam as he gets going. In the highlights he just blows by one CB after another (who are these teams with these slow CBs? The local High School team?),

]
Actually I think that those are his high school highlights as the field says Crespi on it which was his HS per the video.....

All these guys look great in HS, but then the pond gets smaller, stronger, faster and football smarter... lets see how he does in TC and at least in preseason.

Because of the Deep Speed at WR this Team has lacked in years Both Mittchell and Lucien will look at X-WR's in this Patriots Offense book it!

Not really anything too impressive. Looks like of slow.

Because of the Deep Speed at WR this Team has lacked in years Both Mittchell and Lucien will look at X-WR's in this Patriots Offense book it!

Eh? Neither Mitchell or Lucien has deep speed.

4.49 40 and a 6.93 3-Cone is not deep speed or super shifty. Both good numbers, not great. Why did he leave UCLA after 3 years for one senior year with Arizona?

He is a long-strider that picks up steam as he gets going. In the highlights he just blows by one CB after another (who are these teams with these slow CBs? The local High School team?), but I doubt he can do that in the NFL. I am not seeing many shifty moves or crisp routes, just deep speed. Good jump ball skills and good after the catch. Good at the WR screen.

That's because this IS the local high school team. Might want to look at his college plays, where he has experience in an offense that's modeled after the Patriots. ;)

" If he was any good he wouldn't have been picked in the 7th round "

4.49 40 and a 6.93 3-Cone is not deep speed or super shifty. Both good numbers, not great. Why did he leave UCLA after 3 years for one senior year with Arizona?
His QB, Brett Hundley graduated and they were going with a Freshman QB (?Rosen) and he probably thought it wouldn't work out versus transferring and being able to play right away as a graduate transfer.

That's because this IS the local high school team. Might want to look at his college plays, where he has experience in an offense that's modeled after the Patriots. ;)
That explains the bubble screen at 0:50 mark in the second video....It could have been the Pats running that play....had any of his team mates blocked for him......

Deandre hopkins, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, arent exactly burners in the Desean Jackson mode yet they are long striders with great hands and awareness of the ball and use their body and leaping ability to take contested balls.
Id welcome anything remotely close to that with open arms.

DeAndre Hopkins 40 time- 4.51/3 cone- 6.83
Dez Bryant 40 time 4.52/3 cone- 7.10
Brandon Marshall 40 time 4.52/ 3 cone- 6.96

Also for about the millionth time this offense doesn't need some one trick speedy WR. Needs a guy that can win outside and occasionally get open for a deep ball.

Antonio Brown ran a 4.48 40 and 6.98 3 cone at the combine. He's also 5' 10" yet is arguably the best WR in the league.

Would people take Antonio Brown or some guy that ran a sub 4.40 40?

Not saying Lucien is the next Antonio Brown or anywhere close to Antonio Brown. But Brown is just another example of a guy being overlooked because of numbers (drafted in the 6th round. 195th overall). What it comes down to is can Lucien pick up the system and contribute in it

Maybe he does or maybe he doesn't. Way too early to tell.

Deandre hopkins, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, arent exactly burners in the Desean Jackson mode yet they are long striders with great hands and awareness of the ball and use their body and leaping ability to take contested balls.

All those guys are explosive, you can see their agility on film. This guy, meh.

Eh? Neither Mitchell or Lucien has deep speed.

I've never understood why Bill has never been interested in keeping that safety out of the box to open of the rest of the field other than Moss for a couple years.

He's my favorite draft pick this year, big time sleeper to watch out for in TC.

I'd welcome that as well. But I'm not expecting it. Mitchell and Lucien, in college anyway, were guys that can work over the middle and hit the intermediate routes. Both do appear capable of winning jump ball situations, though. Mitchell did that quite a bit at Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots