PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin Hester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdubh3

Rookie
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting and intriguing player. I'm not sure what his attitude is like (he is from "The U", so that throws up a red flag immediately), but I think he is a guy that could help the Pats a lot. He would play corner which is a spot where more bodies are needed, but more importantly he is an excellent punt/kick returner. The Pats don't truely have a punt returner. They do it by committee. Thoughts?

Devin is only a special teams player

I'm a native Bostonian (Haverhill), but have lived here in Miami for 28 years. I watched Hester his whole career. Devin is a terrible corner!! He can't cover and he can't (won't) hit anyone. Also, the poor kid can't catch that well. He had some crucial drops when he played on offense in 2003 & 2004 and he could not run the routes or get the plays down. That's why they moved him to CB this past year. The kid has some fantastic moves and he is sub-4.3 fast at times. Toward the end of the 2005 season Coker tried to entice him to stay for 2006 by using him like Reggie Bush on offense, but look what happened in the Peach Bowl. He is an excellent punt/kick-off returner. Actually, he is unbelievable in that role. But if someone picks him high, he will disappoint. Also, he has a bad attitude, at times. Hopes this helps.

Rene Vallieres said:
I'm a native Bostonian (Haverhill), but have lived here in Miami for 28 years. I watched Hester his whole career. Devin is a terrible corner!! He can't cover and he can't (won't) hit anyone. Also, the poor kid can't catch that well. He had some crucial drops when he played on offense in 2003 & 2004 and he could not run the routes or get the plays down. That's why they moved him to CB this past year. The kid has some fantastic moves and he is sub-4.3 fast at times. Toward the end of the 2005 season Coker tried to entice him to stay for 2006 by using him like Reggie Bush on offense, but look what happened in the Peach Bowl. He is an excellent punt/kick-off returner. Actually, he is unbelievable in that role. But if someone picks him high, he will disappoint. Also, he has a bad attitude, at times. Hopes this helps.
I guess he won't be hiring you to be his agent anytime soon! :D

I would love to see the Pats draft him in round 4 or later to replace Bethel Johnson and Tim Dwight on kick and punt returns respectively. Let him learn to play offense or defense while he uses his main strenghths in the return game. He would add an explosive weapon to our return game.

Devin won't last

The problem with Devin is he wouldn't be happy playing a role. Although he is absolutely worth an early 3rd round pick if he could become more of a team player. Watching him return punts and kickoffs for U of M the last couple of years was very exciting. I think he's faster than Bethel and has incredible cutback moves. He just can't cover well or catch it in traffic. He relies on his speed too much. That's fine in college, but not in the NFL. Someone will take him in the late first, early second round if he runs a 4.28-4.3 at the combine. He's been working out every day since the Peach Bowl to get under 4.3 in the 40. There was an article in the Miami Herald recently where he predicted a sub-4.3. Luckily, BB doesn't base his decisions on times or reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back