Welcome to PatsFans.com

Developing Edelman (aka Edelperson, Wes Welker's Mini-Me, etc.)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 5 / -5

Obviously, Week 2 overinflated expectations, and I'm fairly sure the Patriots didn't want to thrust that role upon Edelman. (Think about this—when was the last time a rookie WR was targeted 16 times in his first-ever NFL game?)

Nevertheless, I'd say that, overall, the Patriots must be pleased so far with Edelman's progress.

He doesn't see the field like Welker yet, and his hands aren't as good as Welker's yet, but how could you reasonably expect a QB who's just switched to WR to do that, when Welker has been playing RB/WR essentially his entire career?

That said, he does have a lot going for him—he's (a little) bigger than Welker, and has (a little) more speed—so it's possible that he could turn into a 3A or 3B receiver by the end of the season. [A lot, of course, depends on how Tate progresses.]

All in all, I think we're seeing right now what the Pats' plan for Edelman is: spot duty as the #3 receiver, trying to focus on higher-percentage plays (in contrast to Week 2, where Edelman was 8/16, this week he was 3/3), along with an expanded role as a returner.

He can't rest on his laurels—something he knows quite well—but I'm guessing he won't.
  2. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Fins started with the wildcat, the Broncos unveiled their 'wild horses', the Eagles are exploring their options... why isn't BB utilizing Edelman in more creative ways? Is he too old school?

The offense is lacking rhythm, and is becoming very predictable.
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

We're clearly missing McDaniels on offense. Whomever is doing the play calling (O'Brien?) is doing a horrible job. I can almost predict the plays that we're going to run from my house thousands of miles away.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 5 / -3

I do think that calling Edelman who is three inches taller than Welker, his Mini-Me is kinda funny. I think he is developing into a pretty good WR and returner.
  5. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think Edelman is coming along great, he's already the 3rd best WR on the team.
  6. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought the playcalling last week vs Baltimore wasnt that bad. Maybe we could go back to that. Today Moss was taken completely out of the game by Bailey and they always had a safety over the top. Welker did his thing over the middle, but we need that 3rd receiver to strech the D. Edelman has speed, so why not have him run some deep routes to try and strech the D, which could also open up the running game a little more
  7. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Brady is starting to throw to him too much. He will be one of those fine/annoying receivers that vultures around the short to intermediate routes much like Welker or Brandon Stockely and Ricky Phroel back in the day.

But as of right now, I'd rather see Brady throw more to Moss, Welker and Watson.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +277 / 18 / -2

Brady's preference is to throw to Moss, Welker and Watson.

9. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didnt know that a receiver that had 3 catches was being thrown to too much. I'd like to see Brady throw to whoever is open, whether its Moss, Welker, Aiken, Galloway, Baker, anyone..
  10. crypto

crypto Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Huh. I thought Brady and Watson were doing great.

Edelman is very good. Defenses are going to have a HARD time defending both him and Welker.
  11. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 5 / -5

3 targets, 3 catches sounds just good to me.
  12. talecmurray

talecmurray Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With the strides this kid is making, no doubt he'll be a factor to look out for in the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.