PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Developing Edelman (aka Edelperson, Wes Welker's Mini-Me, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, Week 2 overinflated expectations, and I'm fairly sure the Patriots didn't want to thrust that role upon Edelman. (Think about this—when was the last time a rookie WR was targeted 16 times in his first-ever NFL game?)

Nevertheless, I'd say that, overall, the Patriots must be pleased so far with Edelman's progress.

He doesn't see the field like Welker yet, and his hands aren't as good as Welker's yet, but how could you reasonably expect a QB who's just switched to WR to do that, when Welker has been playing RB/WR essentially his entire career?

That said, he does have a lot going for him—he's (a little) bigger than Welker, and has (a little) more speed—so it's possible that he could turn into a 3A or 3B receiver by the end of the season. [A lot, of course, depends on how Tate progresses.]

All in all, I think we're seeing right now what the Pats' plan for Edelman is: spot duty as the #3 receiver, trying to focus on higher-percentage plays (in contrast to Week 2, where Edelman was 8/16, this week he was 3/3), along with an expanded role as a returner.

He can't rest on his laurels—something he knows quite well—but I'm guessing he won't.

The Fins started with the wildcat, the Broncos unveiled their 'wild horses', the Eagles are exploring their options... why isn't BB utilizing Edelman in more creative ways? Is he too old school?

The offense is lacking rhythm, and is becoming very predictable.

The Fins started with the wildcat, the Broncos unveiled their 'wild horses', the Eagles are exploring their options... why isn't BB utilizing Edelman in more creative ways? Is he too old school?

The offense is lacking rhythm, and is becoming very predictable.

We're clearly missing McDaniels on offense. Whomever is doing the play calling (O'Brien?) is doing a horrible job. I can almost predict the plays that we're going to run from my house thousands of miles away.

I do think that calling Edelman who is three inches taller than Welker, his Mini-Me is kinda funny. I think he is developing into a pretty good WR and returner.

I think Edelman is coming along great, he's already the 3rd best WR on the team.

We're clearly missing McDaniels on offense. Whomever is doing the play calling (O'Brien?) is doing a horrible job. I can almost predict the plays that we're going to run from my house thousands of miles away.

I thought the playcalling last week vs Baltimore wasnt that bad. Maybe we could go back to that. Today Moss was taken completely out of the game by Bailey and they always had a safety over the top. Welker did his thing over the middle, but we need that 3rd receiver to strech the D. Edelman has speed, so why not have him run some deep routes to try and strech the D, which could also open up the running game a little more

Brady is starting to throw to him too much. He will be one of those fine/annoying receivers that vultures around the short to intermediate routes much like Welker or Brandon Stockely and Ricky Phroel back in the day.

But as of right now, I'd rather see Brady throw more to Moss, Welker and Watson.

Last edited:
Brady's preference is to throw to Moss, Welker and Watson.

Brady is starting to throw to him too much. He will be one of those fine/annoying receivers that vultures around the short to intermediate routes much like Welker or Brandon Stockely and Ricky Phroel back in the day.

But as of right now, I'd rather see Brady throw more to Moss, Welker and Watson.

I didnt know that a receiver that had 3 catches was being thrown to too much. I'd like to see Brady throw to whoever is open, whether its Moss, Welker, Aiken, Galloway, Baker, anyone..

Huh. I thought Brady and Watson were doing great.

Edelman is very good. Defenses are going to have a HARD time defending both him and Welker.

3 targets, 3 catches sounds just good to me.

With the strides this kid is making, no doubt he'll be a factor to look out for in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes