Welcome to PatsFans.com

Deval Patrick is a Racist

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Oct 6, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What would you call a white lawyer that did everything he could to throw the book at black defendants, but also did everything he could to get white criminals (who have commited crimes against black people) out of jail as soon and as early as possible...? I don't know about you, but I know I'd call that guy a racist scumbag.

So why do people give Deval Patrick a free pass when that's exactly what he has been doing for the past few decades...? Just substitute "white" for "black" (and vice-versa) in the above paragraph and you have a perfect explanation of Deval.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What did Patrick do to "throw the book" at white defendants?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +594 / 24 / -19

Any links?

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Thank god I am from RI.. we don't have to make choices like this... still very integrated when it comes to elected officials.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

The double standard that exists certainly does upset me. However, I think that we also need to consider that White's really never feared being convicted simply because they were white, whereas our history clearly shows the prevelance of racist driven judgements versus blacks. I don't have a problem with people raising legitimate concerns of racism with respect to specific trials. What I have a problem with is racially driven rebuttals. It seems that Patrick was one of those who simply wanted to support his fellow black man. He seems to be of the same cloth as the fraud Jesse Jackson & his fony friend Al Sharpton. These clowns defend anyone and everyone who is black, just because they are black. That is wrong. They are frauds, and I'm begining to believe that Patrick is a fraud too. I heard him attempt to explain himself on this topic, and he's sounds like a guy who's covering his azz and is not being truthful.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Deval Patrick is a Racist

DEMOCRATS ARE HOMOPHOBES

Liberals Are Nuts

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Deval Patrick very aggressively pursued convictions in the south of (white) arsonists accused of burning black churches - and I fully and 100% support throwing any scumbag that lights a church on fire in jail for a long, long period of time. But then, for some inexplicable reason, he wants to let rapists and cop killers out of jail and get their sentences reduces.

With Deval Patrick, criminal justice depends on the color of your skin. Although I will give Patrick some credit: He has defended some white scumbags in the past.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its actually judges and juries who decide who goes to jail and for how long, not lawyers. Some in this thread seem a bit confused about that.

Since some of you don't approve of how Patrick selected his clients, how should he have done it? Alphabetically? Should he have looked at the dockett and started with A Aaron Anderson and kept defending until he reached Zanzibar Zulu?

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Sure it's judges and juries, but it's lawyers who try the case. He, and no one else, decided to defend convicted scumbags. He chose to defend the admitted cop killer, and to support that scumbag rapist. Of course, when his actions come to light, and he's afraid to admit his actions, he lies about how far his support truly was. The guy scares me. If he had such piss poor judgement, then why would I want him in charge of my state?

10. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well then its a good thing he stepped up. You make it sound like the criminals wouldn't of had any defense at all if he hadn't. You do know that no defense means no trial and that the judge has to let the guy go altogether?

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Um, I guess you don't read much. The cop killer had already been sentenced to death when Free'em All Deval showed up to get him off of death row and down to a life sentence with a chance for parole. I wonder if he'll be out in time to celebrate with Governor Patrick. So a cop killer, who murdered a father of 3, should have been fried, but instead, he's had 2 parole hearings and is possibly going to walk the same streets as the wife and 3 daughters who's father/husband he killed. Great! When can I vote for this clown?

AGAIN, HE CHOSE TO DEFEND ALREADY CONVICTED FELONS.

Please drive thru.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +594 / 24 / -19

You righties and your child molesters. You like to defend them:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localPolitics/view.bg?articleid=160971

An ex-Florida prosecutor brought to Massachusetts by Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey’s campaign to criticize Deval Patrick’s defense of a cop killer is himself a longtime friend and business partner of a convicted child molester, according to published reports.

Attorney Tom Hogan Jr., who prosecuted the Carl Songer murder case in Florida, is the business attorney for Travis Lee Sanders, a manufacturer with a long rap sheet that includes a conviction for videotaping himself having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

According to a 2004 report in the St. Petersburg Times, Sanders has a criminal record dating back to 1970 that includes charges in three states for assault, theft, patronizing a prostitute and sexual battery on a minor.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

So I guess that makes what Free'em All Deval did as ok. Hogan could be the biggest looser on the planet, but HE'S not running for governor, Patrick is.

Excerpt:

“An attorney chooses his clients, and an attorney chooses his cases,†Hogan said. “Mr. Patrick chooses to represent not victims but murderers on death row.â€

He also blasted Patrick’s successful appeals argument that Songer didn’t get a fair trial because he wasn’t allowed to present evidence of his “good character.â€

“His good character consisted of years of drug abuse, years of violation of the law, and being incarcerated for auto theft at the time of this murder,†Hogan said.

14. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Either we're serious about the Bill of Rights or we're not. You can't say that its Constitutionally required for a defendant to have representation if you're going to turn around and ruin the life of the person who does the representing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Tardo, are you paying attention? These clowns got their day in court, and were convicted to sentences. Free'em All Deval strolled up and decided to fight to lighten those sentences, and even get an ADMITTED COP KILLER a chance to be free. Why? Cuz he said he never got a chance to say what a good little boy he was before he shot, and murdered in cold blood, a husband, and father of 3. Hello...anybody home? These clowns got their day in court. They were convicted. Free'em All decided they were nice people, "good 'ole country people", who should be free. Well, his judgement was beyond aweful. He will never get my vote, and anyone that would vote for him should be commited. His actions not only show how loose he is on criminals, but it shows how bad his judgement is. A governor has to make sensible decisions. I cannot trust that he will do that. Matter of fact, I'm scared that he may attain the responsiblity.

It's Mihos or Healey for me. Even if I have to flip a coin to decide.

16. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ok so you wanna make some major changes to the court system then? Because under our current system all cases are subject to appeal all the way to the top.

As it stands now we got a thing that resembles a pyramid with the supremes on top, the regular ol' boring courts on the bottom and things called courts of appeal in the middle. Since everyone gets but one chance at the 'wheel of justice' you're proposing, which 2 of the three shall we abandon? I'm guessing the regular ol' boring courts would be your preference since I'm sure you've spent enough time in 'em to be familiar.

The real question I have for this one shot, one kill approach to criminal justice of yours is how would it apply to rich guys like Cheney? You do realise that he got an OUI conviction overturned on guess what? Appeal!!! Oh and I'd also like to point out that the first court in the vote theft of 2000 ordered a re-count, it wasn't until the Repugs got their second day in (the Supreme) Court did they get a result they could be satisfied with.

And once again Patrick didn't decide anything in the cases you keep babbling about. He advocated a position and a Judge or a Parole board or a Clemency Committee made the decision according to the law. Not according to weather Deval had 'dreamy' eyes or some other ridiculous power that you've invested in lawyers.

17. Hawg 73

Hawg 73 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I live in Connecticut now so I am not following the Mass Gubernatorial race. But I hear Gerry Callahan ranting about Deval Patrick on 'EEI on line. So I guess it must be true...that he's a racist!:rolleyes:

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Not only Callahan, but Fred Smerlas and DeOssie on the big show, so you can be sure that it is all factual. Heard something about Callahan and Holley debating this issue on EEI @ 9 this am, be interesting as Callahan cannot hang up the phone on Holley, but he can outshout him.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +594 / 24 / -19

For what it's worth, the Carl Songer case was one of fairness, namely that under similar circumstances, defendants had only received life sentences. There were numerous mitigating factors.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find Deval's Federal Appeals Brief online (though I'm still looking), but this was from the appeal to the Florida State Supreme Court.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...df "Carl Ray Songer"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

"(two statutory mental mitigating circumstances, and youth) but was also character related and background related. Under the influence of extreme mental and emotional distress, substantially impaired in his capacity to appreciate criminality, or to conform to the requirements of law, chemically dependent, emotionally retarded, introverted, and without family support at the time of the offense, Carl Songer, at the time of sentencing, was mature, insightful, remorseful, was a model prisoner and a role model, was concerned for others rather than concerned for himself, had developed strong and real spiritual and religious standards, and was completely unselfish and nonself-serving in his words and deeds."

Each of these points are documented in extreme detail in the brief, but the fact that he had been a model prisoner, found God, was helping other prisoners, etc. for 14 years while he was on death row makes me think this case was similar to the Karla Fay Tucker case. Perhaps if Songer was white, some of the right-wing religious groups would have intervened. (Maybe they did?)

"Mr. Songer's sentence of death violates the eighth and fourteenth amendments, and Florida law, because it is a disproportionate sentence, in comparison with other similar cases. Persons who show what Mr. Songer showed at sentencing simply are not put to death, and this Court's, opinions which represent years of monitoring the administration of the death penalty in Florida, attest to the proposition that if Mr. Songer is executed, the death penalty truly strikes like lightning.

"As the sentencing judge found, Mr. Songer proved three statutory mitigating circumstances, and seven nonstatutory mitigating circumstances. No case has survived proportionality review in this Court when the appellant proved these three statutory mitigating circumstances, and that includes cases with plenty of statutory aggravating circumstances."

So the basic argument was here was a man who had all sorts of problems and terrible life, made a horrendous mistake by committing a murder that was not premeditated. He then spent 14 years on death row becoming a model prisoner, who helped from the inside other prisoners straighten out their lives and learn English. Under similar circumstances the courts have ruled that such people should not be sentenced to death, but instead to life imprisonment.

If you believe in legal fairness, then you must assume the that Federal Appeal's Court ruled fairly. The fact that that court backed Patrick suggests that there was a very, very strong case for granting Songer life imprisonment.

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

We all know that ONLY white republican conservative christians are capable of Racism.