Not open for further replies.

njpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
You just can't make this stuff up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-lions050706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dan Wetzel
Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
DETROIT – The NFL has banned Detroit Lions players from working out Monday and Tuesday at the team's practice facility.

This is major news. Judging by their almost 50 years of futility, who knew the Lions worked out at all, let alone that the franchise had an actual building dedicated to practice?

But it's true. The Lions do have a plush, modern practice facility, where players routinely break a sweat. And not just practicing anything, but practicing actual football plays. Seriously.

In fact, according to a union grievance, since hard-nosed coach Rod Marinelli took over in January, the players have been forced to practice too hard.

The NFL Players Association and the NFL Management Council in a joint statement Friday agreed that the Lions broke rules involving offseason activities and punished the team by prohibiting two days of supervised workouts.

Booth Newspapers originally reported that players were upset that April minicamp drills – where "contact work or use of pads" is not allowed – were too physical.

"The players were upset at the high intensity and aggressiveness demanded in the team drills and believed the coaching staff was going over the line," Tom Kowalski reported, citing a source.

And so, the players complained, the union and the league agreed and now they get two days off, with pay.

-R

Culture of losing. This sort of thing is why you draft to whom FB is very important. Draft losers end up with a losing program.

I wonder who complained...one of the vets?? I saw this on the NFL nrtwork crawl...just incredible!!

I think it is safe to say that Marinelli will be showing some vets the door pretty soon. Don't let it hit your arse on the way out.

I don't know whats worse - the vets for complaining, the idiotic NFLPA 'union', or the NFL for caving in.

Also, didn't the Giants players complain about Tom Coughlin last year ? Don't hear them complaining now.

-R

Last edited:
A similar thing happened after Tom Coughlin was named head coach of the NY Giants. IIRC a protest against his tough demands was led by Pro Bowler and NFL single season sack record holder Michael Strahan. But the rebellion settled down and things seem to be going OK in the Meadowlands.

Strahan's complaint was being fined for being 3 minutes early for a meeting. Coughlin fined him and told him to be 5 minutes early from now on.

The Lions can't hold contact practices when the CBA says they can't. That is what it sounds like they did. They violated the CBA and the league needed to come down on them.

Last edited:
the Lions have officially become the most pitiful franchise in the NFL...followed closely by the niners/raiders.

also heard martz "stormed out" of practice the other day too.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
the Lions have officially become the most pitiful franchise in the NFL...followed closely by the niners/raiders.

also heard martz "stormed out" of practice the other day too.

It doesn't quite sound like the new regime in Detroit is off to a hoppin' start.

Marinelli should either resign or clean house. Clearly the Lions he's inherited are losers accumulated by previous aloof coaches and GM's. These players are so used to underachieving and slacking off that it would take a miracle for someone to motivate them.

Unless you're dying to be a NFL head coach, I really don't see the positives of taking that position with the Lions franchise besides the pay check.

Seymour93 said:
It doesn't quite sound like the new regime in Detroit is off to a hoppin' start.

Marinelli should either resign or clean house. Clearly the Lions he's inherited are losers accumulated by previous aloof coaches and GM's. These players are so used to underachieving and slacking off that it would take a miracle for someone to motivate them.

Unless you're dying to be a NFL head coach, I really don't see the positives of taking that position with the Lions franchise besides the pay check.

You have a point, Sey. However, if he is the type of person he is commonly thought to be, then he will relish the challenge. Alex Ferguson, coach at Manchester United soccer club, is the most successful in the club's history. He inherited a shambles, with players behaving how they wanted. The drinking culture was notorious but he came in and kicked out some of the fans' favourites.

gomezcat said:
You have a point, Sey. However, if he is the type of person he is commonly thought to be, then he will relish the challenge. Alex Ferguson, coach at Manchester United soccer club, is the most successful in the club's history. He inherited a shambles, with players behaving how they wanted. The drinking culture was notorious but he came in and kicked out some of the fans' favourites.

Fergie out! was actually sung at OT in the 80’s according to my sources. :eek:

Seymour93 said:
Fergie out! was actually sung at OT in the 80’s according to my sources. :eek:

Yes it was, after he failed to achieve much in his early days there.

As for the original point of the thread, it was always going to be fascinating to see how Marinelli fared in trying to kick the Lions into shape. I still think he is going to succeed.

OldEnglandPatriot said:

As for the original point of the thread, it was always going to be fascinating to see how Marinelli fared in trying to kick the Lions into shape. I still think he is going to succeed.

If Marvin Lewis could do it in Cinn ( and the Clippers won an NBA playoff series), anything is possible...... then again, it might take the Lions front office to stay out of the way for it to happen...It's not like even a slight improvement in that division wouldn't be enough to move to the top. GB is perpetually rebuilding...Minn is still in turmoil and Chi is waiting for their annual QB season-ending injury....
Just my $0.02,

OldEnglandPatriot said:

Yep, I know from personal experience that it was sung at OT. I decline from commenting further, but suffice to say that there isn't an embarrassed icon on here.

Anyway, I would agree with you about Marinelli. He has a great grounding in a good defence, knows what it takes to win and won't take any sh*t off the Lions players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes