Welcome to PatsFans.com

Destruction in black America is self-inflicted

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -2

Something very few people ever talk about. I was surprised to see this was from the Globe. A friend of mine who's a lawyer, but works part-time as a bartender at night in an African American club in town, sent it to me. He talks about the trouble he sees weekend in, and weekend out. Interesting figures none the less. Jesse Jackson's quote was very surprising. Why is it though, that Bill Cosby gets so much heat for implying the same?

JEFF JACOBY

Destruction in black America is self-inflicted

By Jeff Jacoby, Globe Columnist | September 5, 2007

DEBATING capital punishment at an Ivy League university a few years ago, I was confronted with the claim that since death sentences are more often meted out in cases where the victim is white, the death penalty must be racially biased. It's a spurious argument, I replied. Whites commit fewer than half of all murders in the United States, yet more whites than blacks are sentenced to death and more whites than blacks are executed each year. If there is racial bias in the system, it clearly isn't in favor of whites.

But if you choose to focus on the race of victims, I added, remember that nearly all black homicide is intraracial - more than nine out of 10 black murder victims in the United States are killed by black murderers. So applying the death penalty in more cases where the victim is black would mean sending more black men to death row.

"Do you realize that the leading killer of young black males is young black males?" asked Secretary of Health and Human Services Louis Sullivan 16 years ago. "As a black man and a father of three, this really shakes me to the core of my being."

In a new study, the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics confirms once again that almost half the people murdered in the United States each year are black, and 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by someone of their own race. (For white homicide victims, the figure is 85 percent.) In other words, of the estimated 8,000 African-Americans murdered in 2005, more than 7,400 were cut down by other African-Americans. Though blacks account for just one-eighth of the US population, the BJS reports, they are six times more likely than whites to be victimized by homicide - and seven times more likely to commit homicide.

Such huge disproportions don't just happen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously warned 40 years ago that the collapse of black family life would mean rising chaos and crime in the black community. Today, as many as 70 percent of black children are raised in fatherless households. And as reams of research confirm, children raised without married parents and intact, stable families are more likely to engage in antisocial behavior.

High rates of black violent crime are a national tragedy, but it is the law-abiding black majority that suffers from them most. "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life," Jesse Jackson said in 1993, "than to walk down the street and hear footsteps . . . then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...ack_america_is_self_inflicted/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

Jeff Jacoby's e-mail address is jacoby@globe.com.
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Liberals only go crazy when some white guy uses the phrase "nappy headed hoes" or something like that. But they don't care about the thousands of young black men being killed by other young black men.
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -2

Well, like I said, it's something that people never like to talk about. Look at the figures, and tell me something isn't wrong. Instead of focussing their attention on strippers accusing white kids of being rapists, or on some shock jock using stupidity to be funny, shouldn't those concerned be discussing this more openly?
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree. Yes, Blacks still do face a lot of racism, such as that recent noose incident in Louisiana, but the Black leaders also need to focus on real problems in their own community as well.

Black on Black murders, crime, broken families, falling behind in education, etc. There is help out there, and change is happening, but more Black leaders need to call out Black problems instead of sweeping them under a rug.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I consider myself liberal on social issues, but conservative in fiscal responsibility. I have a good chuckle every time you and Harry post as you translate the liberal attitude. Keep up the good work, between you and Sen. Craig, I'll be having some good yucks. BTW, I thought the article made some good points and that data should be looked at.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -2

Yeah but don't you understand scout, the world is now left & right, conservative and liberal, and democrat and republican. You can't be socially liberal, and fiscally conservative. That's just impossible dammit! :D
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What translation..? Everything I have said is true. Don Imus said something stupid and made headlines for weeks. Meanwhile, thousands of black men are being killed every year on the streets by other black men. Those crimes are reported on page 3 of the metro section.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  8. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It is clear that racisim exists still...sometimes with episodes that you wonder if it is 1960 or 2007.

BUT...if African Americans and their leaders with the voices that are heard (there are many leaders and VERY positive examples but they don't get the ehadlines or the national exposure) would first concentrate or at least make it the primary focus (while still calling attention to real examples of racisim that need to be addressed)..ok run on sentence...bear with me

If they concentrated on the "self inflicted" aspect I think you would find that the racisim they face would be something they could much more readily overcome and in fact expose for ridicule the purpetrators of said racism.

Unfortunately while a Black leader such as Louis Sullivan or John Lewis has much better ideas and ways to solve issues he will get shouted down or at the very least not have anyone pay attention to him.

OK what happened to Jesse Jackson since 1993? Why don't we hear more form Jesse circa 1993 if he wants positive change and realizes Law abiding Blacks are the ones being punished?
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

Have said before that most crime committed by Blacks is on black, this is a well known fact and well documented... gangs are a cause, but not the only one.. usually the fear of the black man is perpetuated by myth. It is easy to blame absent fathers, but that is akin to blaming mothers for everything that goes wrong with kids.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -2

Cuz the 1993 Jesse didn't get paid like the 2007 Jesse does. :D
  11. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another racist thread!

Bastids!
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

They should absolutely. I mean, it's easier for us not in the community to point it out to them, I'll give them that. But that doesn't change the fact that it's there and they have to deal with it to make their world a better place (and by proxy, everyone else's in America). I just think that it will be generations for the current entitlement/avoidance/apathy issues to be even started to be worked on. And grovelling, snivelling guilty whites don't help either. Jesse Jackson was on Olberman's show the other night, and Keith had his lips just LOCKED on that fraud's posterior. "You know I was one of the ones who jockeyed for Imus' firing behind the scenes Jesse." God is Olberman a douche.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

give us all a break, would you for once? you know exactly what he's talking about, and yet youre fogging the issue because you know he's dead on ...

the point he's making is that you're declaring what "all liberals" somehow care and don't care about... that's where you sound ignorant... and that's what you're conveniently ignoring from his response...

you do it all the time, and then you pretend your opponent's response was in reference to something else entirely... strawman much?
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

Micheal Vick did something stupid and it was all we heard about for about 10 days non-stop, dog fighting is something that happens in the south (assumed it is a black thing).. no one asked the hard question regarding extent and who else is involved in this.. they got their black superstar, now everything will be ok and the dogs are safe from the Michael Vicks of the world. In reality they only got the tip of the iceburg.. does anyone know the demographics of this?? Someday it will be learned that this is not the exclusive venue of black folks and there are probably some influential white folks involved as well.

Commenting on the newspaper, page 3 is true, because no one cares in reality.. the black on black violence is a political non-issue, because it is functional and self regulating.

From my view, everyday on the front page in the Newspaper there are reports of shootings.. they are not all black on black, but brown on brown, black on brown, white on black.. any combination of colors.. sometimes they are on page 3, mostly they are on page 1. Tabloids do not usually have a lot of stories on page 1, regular newspapers do.