PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Destination or Journey; which is more fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdly Metro

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
When my kids were little and we'd go on a long trip together in the old station wagon there was always a lot of bickering and fighting between them punctuated every so often by the question, 'are we there yet?' BTW, this was before there were DVD players in automobiles (I'd be interested to know from some of you who have benefitted from this new technology if it has actually solved this little problem of human nature). I remember most times just being relieved to finally arrive at our destination so everyone could get out of the car and start enjoying themselves.

IMO, it's kind of the same with this Pat's season. At least it seems like many of us here on this board aren't having as much fun as we could on the journey and can't wait for the duckboat parade when we'll finally be able to exhale and start enjoying themselves. I'm guily of it too. I even told one of my kids yesterday that the whole season would be a "waste" and a "failure" if the Pat's went undefeated in the regular season but came up short of winning the Superbowl. I think I used the word "embarrassment." Nevermind how much fun I've had this season. Nevermind that my kids don't live at home anymore and we don't see each other as much as I'm sure we'd all like, and how with the Pat's pursuing history we've talked much more (after every game) and spent as many Sunday's as possible getting together to watch the games than we otherwise would have.

So in the spirit of Christmas I'd like to recognize (more) the gift this team continues to give to us fans as part of this magical season. I'd like to enjoy the present (no pun intended) even when Brady throws a couple of picks and the team looks flat in the second half of a game that was already over at halftime. I guess I just want to enjoy the journey a little more and not be so fixated on the destination the rest of the way. That's why I registered to post on Pats Fans this fall after being content to just visit for years. I sensed something special was happening with this team and wanted to feel more a part of it by sharing this season with my fellow fans.

So rather than asking, "are we there yet?" I'd like to savor the moment a little longer than usual for the remainder of the season. After all, we ARE almost there. One more game and it's the playoffs. Can you believe it's really almost over? Is it just me or is it all going by too fast? As much as I want to bask in the glory of that fourth Lombardi and celebrate an unprecedented championship season, I really don't want this season to end!! Is it just me?

When my kids were little and we'd go on a long trip together in the old station wagon there was always a lot of bickering and fighting between them punctuated every so often by the question, 'are we there yet?' BTW, this was before there were DVD players in automobiles (I'd be interested to know from some of you who have benefitted from this new technology if it has actually solved this little problem of human nature). I remember most times just being relieved to finally arrive at our destination so everyone could get out of the car and start enjoying themselves.

IMO, it's kind of the same with this Pat's season. At least it seems like many of us here on this board aren't having as much fun as we could on the journey and can't wait for the duckboat parade when we'll finally be able to exhale and start enjoying themselves. I'm guily of it too. I even told one of my kids yesterday that the whole season would be a "waste" and a "failure" if the Pat's went undefeated in the regular season but came up short of winning the Superbowl. I think I used the word "embarrassment." Nevermind how much fun I've had this season. Nevermind that my kids don't live at home anymore and we don't see each other as much as I'm sure we'd all like, and how with the Pat's pursuing history we've talked much more (after every game) and spent as many Sunday's as possible getting together to watch the games than we otherwise would have.

So in the spirit of Christmas I'd like to recognize (more) the gift this team continues to give to us fans as part of this magical season. I'd like to enjoy the present (no pun intended) even when Brady throws a couple of picks and the team looks flat in the second half of a game that was already over at halftime. I guess I just want to enjoy the journey a little more and not be so fixated on the destination the rest of the way. That's why I registered to post on Pats Fans this fall after being content to just visit for years. I sensed something special was happening with this team and wanted to feel more a part of it by sharing this season with my fellow fans.

So rather than asking, "are we there yet?" I'd like to savor the moment a little longer than usual for the remainder of the season. After all, we ARE almost there. One more game and it's the playoffs. Can you believe it's really almost over? Is it just me or is it all going by too fast? As much as I want to bask in the glory of that fourth Lombardi and celebrate an unprecedented championship season, I really don't want this season to end!! Is it just me?

Best post of the season, and not just the holiday season! :rocker:

Nailed the children too. Wish Ian would invest in some DVD players with fantasy discs to keep them all occupied so the rest of us could enjoy something we may never experience again. Although an Assclown Forum would have probably done the trick. That'd be kind of like going on the journey without them and leaving them in daycare.

Can you believe it's really almost over? Is it just me or is it all going by too fast? As much as I want to bask in the glory of that fourth Lombardi and celebrate an unprecedented championship season, I really don't want this season to end!! Is it just me?

No, it's not just you. And for me, it's not just the Pats. I enjoy football season because it's fun to watch something where athleticism meets coordinated execution and masterful gamesmanship. In a lot of ways, it's the perfect marriage of the human body and the human intellect.

But it's also a great time to have something to talk about and debate with friends and family, to get involved and root for and against teams, and to celebrate.

This has been a special year. I will never forget that I got to be at the Pats - Ravens game at the 50 yard line, 1st level, 3rd row up, with the greatest QB and WR to ever play only 15' directly in front of me in what would prove to be the single most intense and memorable game of any two teams this season. In this special season, I'm glad I got to witness it first hand and have been following it from the start of the off-season drafts, trades and signings.

Here's to continued success for this team. And here's to watching history unfold before our very eyes.

I would leave our kids at an orphanage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye