PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way do we need another 10+ mil a year cap hit...........Revis>D-Jax period....and Revis is tops at his position same can't be said for the latter.

Paint me not interested. Hes a good wideout and at times electrifying but not a "Dominant WR1" that would command that kinda loot....i'll pass and if BB and Co. are still looking for a real deal WR1 then the draft has a ****e-load of 'em.......(Evans with a trade-up if they want to be aggressive plus tons available when they pick at 29).

I've heard rumors a few months ago about Justin Blackmon maybe being traded in a couple articles, forgot where though......now he's a #1 WR and with Brady throwing to him that would be a scary combo......definitely something I'd entertain more given the resources would be about the same to acquire.......

Heck pipe-dreams are fun! But then again wasn't Revis a "You must be kidding" proposition not too long ago.

Jackson burnt him bad in the pre season last season. Don't see anyway this happens but, man would this be huge if they managed to nab D-jax. I wonder how book smart he is. Could be a lot to give up and pay if they aren't certain he can handle the playbook.

He was working in Chip Kellys Oregon spread. The Pats ran variation of the same offense.

Im sure after the Stinko debacle, BB will dot his I's and cross his T's

Jackson has to realize that he is not receiving 10 mil in salary this year, next year or any year. Philly is going to get rid of him and his contract.

All of that has led to widespread speculation that they're setting up for the possibility of life without Jackson this coming season and/or beyond, especially because this year's NFL draft class is considered to be loaded with top-flight receivers who will all make less than the $10 million or so that will be guaranteed Jackson should he still be on the roster on opening day.

The notion picked up considerable steam today with a very thought-provoking (not to mention credible) report by Tim McManus of PhillyMag.com. McManus wrote in this piece that sources close to DeSean claim he is disturbed by the uncertainty. Furthermore, an anonymous NFL agent is quoted as saying he "heard there is no way he is back."

Mcall.com: Eagles Insiders : Is DeSean DeGone?

Here are some of my thoughts as the offseason pre-2007 unfolded:

- AllRIGHHTTallrightallright we got Donte Stallworth! I mean he may not be Randy Moss, but who is, besides Randy Moss, and well you know, no way you'll ever see Randy Moss in a Patriots uni, plus he's a cancer. Someone tell me why I'm even thinking about Randy Moss. Nobody's even talking about Randy Moss.

- WOOHOOOWOOHOOO happy birthday to ME we got Randy Moss (even though he may be a cancer and I am so ready for him to be gone in a year)

- Who's this Will Wheaton guy we got? Didn't he play Wesley Crusher on Star Trek? What? Walker? Welker? (seriously I knew he kept gashing us when he was with Miami... figured we just wanted to make sure we got our two-a-year against Miami nailed down)

Okay why go back seven years? (Damn time flies...) Well I guess because (1) it's never so insane it won't happen; (2) Nobody's ever crazy enough to be a no-go as a Pats WR if everything else comes together; (3) Damn I miss Al Davis; (4) Can't count on "we've done our spending on WRs this year," ever.

Obvious difference: We got Randy for a couple of cheerios boxtops and some lunch money. That was a once-in-a-lifetime deal. I fully expect to shuffle off this mortal coil without seeing that good a deal again.

One other thing... all the times we think things like ::grumble grumble we didn't do crap in free agency grumble grumble even though we would be able to make cap room grumble grumble:: are offset by years when we think "holy CRAP we did WHAT? Where's that cap room come from?!?!?"

I'll be the first to admit I don't follow the cap stuff deeply enough to understand it in any given year. There was once a time I tried to but I was crappy at it. But I got enough exposure to learn that those who talked the least knew the most, tending to answer a factual question on a specific point, and carefully not speculate on big sweeping questions.

Seems like there always can be money in a given year, doesn't mean there's going to be.

Okay that said yeah I think DJack would add a weapon, of course I think that. As always it's all in what he'd take and what the Pats would offer.

Were I stupid enough to think I know what's in BB's mind, I'd say that if you compared '07 and '14, the value of any receiver would be decreased, because the "force multiplier" of being a Brady target has, I think, somewhat decreased.

But maybe I think that because of the receivers he's had to throw to of late -- the eternal question.

We're all conditioned to look at Brett Favrevrah and Seyton Manning as examples of what you can do in your dotage as an NFL QB. I'd like Brady to go out right after throwing 56 TDs on the way to a SB at the end of a 19-0 season, of course. But we're also ignoring that it's also likely he's not what he was in 2007. Sure there are outliers -- but there are plenty of QBs with a gradual dropoff from their prime, never punctuated by that flourish at the end.

So which one does BB think he's got? That helps determine the value of a DJack, or anybody else, if they're not willing to restructure a lot of their big money off into never-never land.

That answer I don't know. I do know that he's likely to "go for it on 4th and 1" if he sees upside, even a moral victory. But he's also very capable of saying "the cold hard reality is that this once would be his value, given what we can get out of him. This is 2014. Now his value is X"

We'd probably have to get rid of Amendola and restructure Jackson to the $7M/year area for this to make any sense financially.

any one here who doesn't think the pats should get Desean Jackson because of his attitude issues needs to get their heads checked. He is a GAME BREAKER like a larry fitzgerald, etc. I understand that the numbers need to work for the pats, but if they can sign him for a reasonable contract, it's a no brainer. In fact, I would give up a second or third round draft pick for him. that's how valuable he is. He instantly puts this team in the super bowl and would make it impossible for even a team like seattle to defend.

let me add that anyone who can bring 1300 yards receiving and 9TDs to this offense can say whatever they want

Get Jackson and ASJ in the draft..... drool....

Seem to be in the minority, but I don't mind this idea at all...

- Averaged >16 yds per catch in a spread O.
- Caught 65% of the balls thrown his way, which seems pretty darned good for a dude running deep routes.
- Coming off a career season, in which he played all 16 games.
- Won't turn 28 until near the end of the season.

And, not for nothing, we have a glut at the slot. Would be a pretty sensible trade for PHI, especially if Kelly is looking to replace DeSean in the locker room with a "high-character" dude. DA + a 3rd seems fair.

Lastly, as the salary cap blows up these next couple years, I don't think $10m/yr is going to look all that unreasonable for a young, speed-demon #1 WR. (Of course, if the reports that he's actually seeking a raise are valid, then that might kill talks before they start.)

No way do we need another 10+ mil a year cap hit...........Revis>D-Jax period....and Revis is tops at his position same can't be said for the latter.

Paint me not interested. Hes a good wideout and at times electrifying but not a "Dominant WR1" that would command that kinda loot....i'll pass and if BB and Co. are still looking for a real deal WR1 then the draft has a ****e-load of 'em.......(Evans with a trade-up if they want to be aggressive plus tons available when they pick at 29).

I've heard rumors a few months ago about Justin Blackmon maybe being traded in a couple articles, forgot where though......now he's a #1 WR and with Brady throwing to him that would be a scary combo......definitely something I'd entertain more given the resources would be about the same to acquire.......

Heck pipe-dreams are fun! But then again wasn't Revis a "You must be kidding" proposition not too long ago.

I'd do:

DeSean ---> Patriots
Amendola ---> Eagles
Eagles (4m) ---> Patriots (effectively, we get DeSean for 6m)
Patriots (3rd) ---> Eagles

Fair?

I really doubt they inquired on Jackson recently. Had to be a contingency plan if Edelman signed elsewhere.

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $47 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed -- a $10 million signing bonus, Jackson's first-year base salary, $4 million of his second-year salary, and $750,000 of his third-year salary. Another $4 million is available through incentives. Jackson is eligible for annual $200,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $10.5 million, 2015-2016: $9.75 million, 2017: Free Agent

I would love the talent he brings, but I hate the contract numbers. He's not an off-field problem, and while he's had issues on the field, this happened under Andy Reid, who has had his share of trouble managing difficult players and player situations. If BB brought him here, I'd have to think that means he could manage the situation or feels confident that Jackson's shtick is a product of the situation in Philadelphia.

The injuries...well...I don't like our luck with those.

I can't believe all the people who dismiss the idea of Jackson. W/e.

I feel confident in saying Jackson would help this team more than Wilfork and a 3rd. Right now our number 1 offensive option is the unreliable Gronk and if he's down we have no pass catcher who scares a defense and dictates coverage. A good D can still shut down what we have if Gronk isn't playing. Add DeSean and nobody would stop us, only slow us down. If DeSean and Gronk are both healthy we'll be winning games by 30.

Also, what would be the dead money hits if we were to cut Jackson after either the 14-15 season or the 15-16 season? Thanks.

they are going to want at lest a 2th round pick for him so I don't see anyone trading for him and I think he is a perfect fit for that offense he had the best season of his career last year

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $47 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed -- a $10 million signing bonus, Jackson's first-year base salary, $4 million of his second-year salary, and $750,000 of his third-year salary. Another $4 million is available through incentives. Jackson is eligible for annual $200,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $10.5 million, 2015-2016: $9.75 million, 2017: Free Agent

As my signature says I am no expert here....merely a fan.

But if those are his salary numbers....

Sign me up for the TB12 three year Double Freedom Rockets Farewell tour

I can't believe all the people who dismiss the idea of Jackson. W/e.

I feel confident in saying Jackson would help this team more than Wilfork and a 3rd. Right now our number 1 offensive option is the unreliable Gronk and if he's down we have no pass catcher who scares a defense and dictates coverage. A good D can still shut down what we have if Gronk isn't playing. Add DeSean and nobody would stop us, only slow us down. If DeSean and Gronk are both healthy we'll be winning games by 30.

Also, what would be the dead money hits if we were to cut Jackson after either the 14-15 season or the 15-16 season? Thanks.

am pretty sure they are not looking to dump there best WR in a pass happy system for only a 3rd round pick, remember the pats and 49ers called them they did not put him on the trading block

DJax is a GAME CHANGER. If i'm the pats i'm not even hesitating in pulling the trigger by shipping out Amendola and bringing in Desean. You're talking SB guaranteed with a receiver like that for Brady to throw to

No chance this happens, but if it did the Patriots would be the team to beat even over the Broncos. Just to much money that the Patriots don't have.

I mean are you kidding me? Gronk over the middle, Edelman in slot and Desean going long! Imagine the space that frees up for Dobson and Vereen if they are single covered. Sheesh that is scary right there

No team is dealing with that, maybe not even Seattle.

I'm probably the only one on here who has seen Blackmon in action at the bar. I wouldn't call him an "alcoholic" as much as a party animal. I've seen him either stone sober there, drinking bottled water and I've also seen him totally **** faced. If he was an alcoholic, it would be much more of the latter.

The fact that he is suspended says he has a problem, maybe not alcohol, but there is an issue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back