PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson Released by Eagles [update]: Signed by Washington

They already have Torrey Smith. Smith is a similar type of player although far more inconsistent.

Torrey smith isnt a potential murder suspect is he?

Sure, they looked at Eagles WR DeSean Jackson, now its time to look at Unrestricted Free Agent DeSean Jackson. It changes a hell of a lot.
Oh really? Getting cut by the Eagles changes the fact that he is well known as being an incredibly selfish player, poor worker, and erases years of gang ties?

Wow. I didn't realize getting cut by a team completely wiped out your entire history. That's kinda amazing.

apparently Desean is vehemently denying any gang involvement and according to schefter 4 teams have already been in contact with his agent.

I doubt the Pats are going to land him, personally. I think another team is going to offer him more guaranteed money than they will, so it might be a moot point.

Even if the Pats had interest they wouldn't offer him the best deal and that's what he is looking for.

The 4 teams are likely San Fran, Seattle, the Jets, Oakland.

I do not want the Pats to sign Jackson unless they do sign him and then I would effing love it.

Everyone simply MUST opine on this subject! Delish!

At his cost even if he were troubled-free it wouldn't be worth it.

There's a guy named Dri Archer who is lightning in a bottle quick and has about the same measureables as this guy. Yet he's a 6th rounder in the upcoming draft! Why not draft-a-roo him and then bingo you have an untroubled DeSEAN at 1/10th the price (if that).

Buying high priced players in gener-eel isn't a good idea, IMO (of course).

lets also keep in mind that Kembrell did something Ahern and DJax didn't really do, and that was latch on to the other players in the locker room. Thompkins is practically joined at the hip with dobson.

Hernandez apparently was a loner,

And jackson isnt exactly bff's with anyone in the eagles.

That speaks volumes to me.

Let's face it, the most likely landing spot would have to be the Jets. They would offer him a big contract and I am sure he would love to be reunited with Vick.

Even if the Pats had interest they wouldn't offer him the best deal and that's what he is looking for.

Given the offseason so far, this is probably the key. By signing the big money over to Revis, the Patriots limited later deals. If DeSean needs to get paid this year, he's not coming to NE, regardless of any Patriots interest, or lack thereof.

Edit: Miguel's got the Patriots at about $9m under the cap right now. Taking $3m out for their usual debit, and remembering their rookies will eventually need to be paid, there's not a whole lot of money to sign players, unless more re-structures/extensions are done.

I doubt KT has absolutely no friends that aren't model citizens because he decided to not do that anymore.

Seems naive to believe these guys cut everyone off. I don't even care if those dudes are your friends just stay out of the public and stay away from their dealings.

I doubt the pouncey's stopped being friends with AH the minute those "free AH" hats came off.

Of course he might talk or run into them every now and again but I doubt he's hanging out with them on anything approaching a semi-regular basis.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Text from person not financially connected to DJax: "Known DeSean since he was born. Over 25 years DeSean is NOT affiliated w any La gangs."

I do not want the Pats to sign Jackson unless they do sign him and then I would effing love it.

I think that's where most of us are, even the ones that are apprehensive until the full details are available. I will admit that if the Pats did sign him, my nipples would instantly become hard.

Well, duh.... you're not going to run terribly many read-options, naked bootlegs or designed QB scrambles with a QB like Brady.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that Jackson is an incredible talent who would thrive tremendously on the Patriots - if only he had his head screwed on straight.

A poor route running straight line WR would thrive on a team that requires great route running, presnap reads (which I am unsure he can read defenses and make adjustments based on his play thus far) and a more short to intermediate offense?

I'm sorry, but I think Jackson best fit would be a #3 WR on this offense (not based on his talent which makes him a number one receiver, but his skill set) with a limited package of plays.

Maybe he can run routes and read defenses, but he never showed that in Philadelphia. Moss may have been more of a vertical WR, but he was also a very smart receiver who could read defenses and he saw what Brady saw. That is the biggest part of this offense, if you aren't on the same page with Brady and read defenses nearly as well, you are going to fail in this offense no matter how good you are.

I see Jackson as a bad fit for this offense.

My surprise team, the Colts. They have the cap space and how about Jackson with Luck's cannon arm?

4 Wide

Wayne
Jackson (slot)
Hilton (slot)
Nicks

He's worth the gamble to them if they want to compete with the Pats and Broncos.

While I don't think he will be out of the league, it will hurt his pockets. Gotta be smarter, as the pouncey's learned with their connections to AH. Gotta play the game.
Hey there, sport! NOW do you get the DeSean Jackson "gangsta wannabe" connection? ;)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-not-long-before-eagles-cut-desean-jackson/

So why did former Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson issue a statement denying that he belongs to a gang? Not long before the Eagles cut Jackson, a lengthy report emerged on NJ.com suggesting that Jackson has suspected gang ties.

Specifically, Eliot Shorr-Parks and A.J. Perez report that the Eagles were concerned about “Jackson’s continued association with reputed Los Angeles street gang members who have been connected to two homicides since 2010.”

Some comments on the comments.

There are several significant reasons why the Pats won't consider, nor have ever considered, despite the reports, signing Desean Jackson. Most of which have NOTHING to do with him having or not having any gang affiliations

1. Reliability: consistently missing meetings and blowing off team responsibilities is the biggest factor. BB has often said that the Pats program is not for everyone. It takes a certain kind of "grind it out", team first mentality that Jackson currently doesn't possess.

2. We don't need any more small speed receivers. Its as simple as that.

3. Reportedly he's not an accomplished route runner. This offensive system is NOT a great fit for him. He'd be much more effective in a system like the Steelers, Panthers or even the Jets.

4. Locker room problem. The LACK of any protests or complaints from his teammates is deafening. Maclin's comments from yesterday and Kelce's from today speak volumes, by what they ay and DON'T say.

5. His cost - Though I doubt very much it would cost much in any guarantees to sign him now. Any team that would pay him anything close to what he was slated to collect deserves what he gets.

The only way Jackson even comes close to making $10MM/yr is to sign a contract that give him enough incentives to get $10MM and then hit them all and have the mother of all seasons. I don't see him getting anything up front.

6. Chip Kelly's word DOES have impact here. BB knows that Kelly worked with a lot of kids from those same neighborhoods, and worked well with them. Its not Chip's first go around with player who have been around gangs. So its even more telling when he would give up on that kind of talent and take that kind of dead money hit.

So whatever football issues drove Kelly to cut Jackson, a kid's past association to neighborhood gangs wasn't probably the key issue.

Bottom Line: Charley Casserly's keen sense of the obvious is probably correct here. :rolleyes: And while the media pukes will blame the Pats disinterest on not wanting to risk Herandez 2.0, the REAL reasons go much further.

DeSean sounds like a regular ole TURD to me. He was due 10M for this upcoming season and he WANTED A NEW CONTRACT! And he asked for it within hours of them LOSING THEIR PLAYOFF GAME!! That's a me-first turd right there. 10M isn't enough? Are you kidding?

Heh heh... I have to confess feeling a bit the same way myself. You just summed it up perfectly. :D :D :D

I'm a Cal fan, kinda adopted them as my team when I lived in the SF Bay Area for 7 years. I never heard any bad things said about Desean Jackson when he was at Cal. Of course, while he was there, he was one of my favorites and was hoping the Pats would have drafted him during his draft year.

His response about the gang affilliation was a very well written response, and I agree with him that it's somewhat unfair. I still think the Pats stay far away because of the story, as well as we have absolutely no cap space to sign him anyway. The story just brings up too many red flags, and the fact that he DIDN'T mention the two murderer's WEREN'T his friends, that will scare folks off. In a way, I think he is getting a raw deal. As long as he keeps his nose clean, I wish the guy well and will root for him, unless he becomes a Jet.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back