PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson Released by Eagles [update]: Signed by Washington

No way do the Pats take a chance on a potential Aaron Hernandez 2.0.

Even if the Pats were inclined to sign him, I doubt they have the cap room to pull it off. I'm betting that he ends up on the Raiders.

I live fairly close to where Jackson went to high school (he went to Long Beach Poly), and he doesn't have the best reputation around here either. Not surprised by anything in that article.

As far as the gang affiliations thing, context matters a lot. Depends on how old he was when he got involved, and to what degree he still associates with those people in his life. I know a lot of people immediately jump to Aaron Hernandez, but I think people would be surprised by the number of athletes that have those types of affiliations, especially coming out of the LA area. Paul Pierce had his own affiliations, and was flashing gang signs during games as late as 2008, and that's just one example. As far as we know, though, that's not an ongoing part of his life and not an element that he regularly associates with, so who cares? Personally, I don't really care about the affiliations in their own right--that's just a common thing in the area of LB that Jackson came from--but I do care about the fact that he's still involved enough with that crowd that his name keeps coming up in investigations. If it's in his past, then that's fine. If it's ongoing, then that's a huge red flag.

KT was arrested 7+ times and had gang affiliations. People can grow up.

I'm torn on Desean.

Except he was 18 years old in High School. Not 27 years old and a pro athlete who makes millions of dollars

I'm torn on Desean.

Big difference between arrests in high school and gang affiliations as a 5-year NFL vet.

I'm torn on Desean.

Kembrell Thompkins had something like seven years of keeping his nose clean in between his trouble youth and when the Pats signed him. Jackson's red flags are recent enough that the Eagles are willing to cut ties and eat his dead money. Two different situations.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 6m

The Seahawks, 49ers, Jets, Raiders among the trams that had prior interest in DeSean Jackson, FWIW. Have a gut Seattle is a major player

49ers? Ya that's not a good idea if this is true

All good points on how its different for Desean being older and a pro.

Gang affiliations? No thank you.

I'm sure many NFL players have gang affiliations. In the places where many of these players grow up it about survival and having affiliations on some level is a form of protection. The question is what type of involvement does Jackson (or other NFL players) have, is he a charter member on the streets living the lifestyle, or is he paying for studio time for a wannabe rapper as repayment for keeping him alive as a youth.

You do not go to Long Beach High School and not have some connection to a known gang member. Aaron Hernandez was living the outlaw lifestyle that was the issue, the fact he associated with a group of gang members was not that uncommon for a pro athlete.

6.5 million in dead money is no joke, they probably have more info that was not released. Pretty strong message.

Definitely, nope.

Mhvzhvg.png

I'm sure many NFL players have gang affiliations. In the places where many of these players grow up it about survival and having affiliations on some level is a form of protection. The question is what type of involvement does Jackson (or other NFL players) have, is he a charter member on the streets living the lifestyle, or is he paying for studio time for a wannabe rapper as repayment for keeping him alive as a youth.

You do not go to Long Beach High School and not have some connection to a known gang member. Aaron Hernandez was living the outlaw lifestyle that was the issue, the fact he associated with a group of gang members was not that uncommon for a pro athlete.

Yeah, but I can't think of any other player who is friends with a murder suspect like Jackson other than Aaron Hernandez's friends throughout the league.

Hernandez also went out of his way as a middle class suburban kid to seek out gang ties and street cred in his late high school and college years. Jackson, on the other hand, came up in that environment. It's different, though the article makes it clear that it doesn't seem like Jackson has distanced himself from his old set.

The average NFL player (and professional athlete in general) actually skews more middle class than most would think (even when disaggregated by race/ethnicity) but there's still a fair number of players who grew up in bad situations and have to work to put those behind them. Which can be difficult, given that it's not always easy to detach from old friends for a lot of reasons.

Just heard on NFLN Charlie ( I know everything about Pats before Bill does) Casserly, He said Pats not interested in Jackson count them out of running.

Yeah and Floyd Mayweather hangs out with Justin Bieber, does that make him a resident of p-town?

Glad you cleared everything up..................WTF?

Or maybe we rent him on a short 1-2 year deal (similar to Revis's), to have him prove the concerns are nothing big, and then that sets himself up for a big payday from another team in free agency.

Only difference is I expect us to re-sign Revis (barring a terrible season for him here)

Trouble with a capital T, rythmes with P and rythmes with D as in De-Sean!

I always pronounce Desean as Dee-scene and Sean as scene as well. Just how I roll for some reason.

Yeah, but I can't think of any other player who is friends with a murder suspect like Jackson other than Aaron Hernandez's friends throughout the league.

That's because it is not widely reported. These cases are 3-5 years old and a reporter who was interested in the "why" Jackson would be released by the Eagles did the leg work to uncover the informations. If reporters dug into every NFL players life they would find many associated with known gang members. You do not grow up in the areas where many of these kids grow up and not have some level of connection to the gang element.

In addition Jackson owns a record label so the fact he is affiliated with a rapper who has gang ties is not shocking to me. Paul Pierce is an example of a player who had those types of affiliations and was a solid character person.

Jackson has a problem with missing team meetings, and the Eagles reportedly believe his friends are becoming a powerful, negative influence. The team is "concerned about having [Jackson] around the younger players. Jackson has become close with a man named Theron Shakir, a member of the Crips and one of two men charged in the murder of a 14-year-old rival gang member. The Eagles simply don't want to wake up to an Aaron Hernandez situation one morning. Jackson has very likely played his last down for the Eagles.

Indeed, people should read the entire NJ.com article before replying.

DeSean Jackson's gang connections troubling to Eagles | NJ.com

I doubt ANY team in the NFL takes a piece of this action in the post AHern era. Certainly not the Pats. No way the Krafts take this player on.

I'd take a shot on him with a 1 year prove it to me contract

how many friends can he make up here in a year?

as soon as I read "gang ties" I knew the Pats wouldn't be interested.

Maybe he'll become a Raider and really be able to let loose with the thuggery.

the ravens need someone to maintain their quota of thugs with Ray rice possibly heading to prison.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back