PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derrick Mason could be on the block...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there is nothing silly about this comment? C'mon now.

Exactly. You don’t trade a good, cheap, 27yo receiver PLUS a 4th round pick for an expensive 33yo receiver with worse numbers(and a bad attitude). That would be a Matt Millen move. IMO, of course.

Derrick Mason had his chance to be a Patriot a couple years ago, but he's too p**sy-whipped and let his wife decide they weren't coming to New England.

I'll never say never - but I don't see this happening with the Patriots.

It's not that his numbers are bad - they are not... but compare his production last year with Wes Welker and you'll see they are very comparable.

I'm never averse to adding a quality player like Mason, but I think we can all agree that other positions are higher priorities right now.

Even those of us who were most outspoken about our needs at WR now feel very very good about heading into the season with this WR roster... adding a WR and pushing a good #3 WR (Caldwell or Gaffney) down to #4 doesn't strike me as something that needs to be a priority.

When did Reche Caldwell become a good young receiver the team couldn't lose? And in case you guys aren't aware they only have him signed for this year anyway.

If they love Caldwell they can still cut Washington or Gafney. I know little about Mason except that NE liked him enough to extend him his biggest offer a couple years ago.

I'm not saying they should try to sign him, what I'm saying is that if they want him Washington, Gafney, and Caldwell won't get in the way.

Derrick Mason would have looked nice on the Pats a couple yrs ago, but it has no chance of happening, Im happy with the wr situation now, plus we are going to draft one, and Troy Brown is some where on the Foxboro grounds, still deciding what to do.. No chance , and I dont want Derrick Mason..

And I also want to see Kelly Washington firs before we decide he is no good...

This time of season is great....

You know why?

Because I know when players are released because someone always posts "you think we should get him?".

This off season is the same as most of the others. The list goes on and on... Donnie Edwards, Ed Hartwell, Kevin Curtis, Sammy Knight (?), Michael Lewis, Clement, etc

Sorry for not parcipating in the wish and wanting posts as often as have in the past on other boards, but this off season has been a dream thus far. No need to act like a dumpster diver any more. Or until next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read the whole thread. Just say NO to Derrick Mason. Why? We don't need him. Simple.

When did Reche Caldwell become a good young receiver the team couldn't lose? And in case you guys aren't aware they only have him signed for this year anyway.

If they love Caldwell they can still cut Washington or Gafney. I know little about Mason except that NE liked him enough to extend him his biggest offer a couple years ago.

I'm not saying they should try to sign him, what I'm saying is that if they want him Washington, Gafney, and Caldwell won't get in the way.

Washington is a no risk high reward potential.

I would say this happened last year when he was the team’s leading receiver and had better numbers than Mason. He is younger by six years (27yo to 33yo). He’s cheaper. Why would anyone in their right mind trade their leading receiver PLUS a draft pick for a 33yo receiver who didn’t want to come here two years ago and who complains about not getting enough attention? It makes no sense whatsoever. None.

And as to him being signed only for this year - I would rather extend him than take on Mason.

Washington and Gaffney are young guys with talent and cheap contracts. They are possible future 2nd/3rd WRs. Mason was once an excellent receiver. He is now a 33yo guy whose numbers have declined and is on the downside of his career. He also has a big contract and a big ego. I’d rather see them take their chances on these two.

I disagree completely.

Last edited:

SIGN EVERYONE!!!!! YEAH!!!!! Free agent? No matter, the Patriots could use him!!!

Ain't it jes wunnerful
how nearly unanimously we now can thumb our noses at
DERRICK MASON ?

Yay, Pioli !

Why?

1. Caldwell had better numbers than Mason last year.
2. Caldwell knows the offense.
3. Mason complained about his role in another offense. Do you really think he wouldn't complain here?
4. He had a chance to sign here before - as Sey said "he had his chance."
5. Caldwell's cheaper.
6. Caldwell's six years younger.
I agree and who knows what taste he left in teh Pats FO's mouths when he went to The Ravens...sorry...I would not think this was a good move..ULESS there is something special..as many have said..he HAD his chance..

Why?

1. Caldwell had better numbers than Mason last year.
2. Caldwell knows the offense.
3. Mason complained about his role in another offense. Do you really think he wouldn't complain here?
4. He had a chance to sign here before - as Sey said "he had his chance."
5. Caldwell's cheaper.
6. Caldwell's six years younger.

Well said. I don't get all the Caldwell hate around here. Plus if Mason was unhappy with his role in the Baltimore offense I don't think he would be too pleased with the NE game plans either

Guys,Mike Preston is Baltimore's version of Ron Borges.He is a gossip columnist not a reporter,and frequently makes things up when he isnt being talked about enough.

Guys,Mike Preston is Baltimore's version of Ron Borges.He is a gossip columnist not a reporter,and frequently makes things up when he isnt being talked about enough.

i had a feeling it was a lil bogus
however if true i dont agree with most in here
i would def take mason over caldwell if all else is equal
thing is, they arent
mason would make a lot more money, and we would hafta give up something
i really like the wr corp right now, but if we have a chance to add mason and dont hafta give up much i say why not at least look it over

wouldnt his wife just veto the trade? :rolleyes:

has a team ever carried 7 WR's?

The Raiders have carried 7 or 8 at times in the past few years (Moss, Porter, Gabriel, Curry, Whitted, Francis, Williams, Morant, etc.)

caldwell's better and younger than mason.

mason hasn't done much the last few years.

if they could have him in a four receiver rotation for cheap bucks but it ain't happenin'

he should've had the nuts to come here and tell his wife so.
she ran him and now he pays.

you mean mason didnt have 86 catches for over 1000 yards with kyle boller/antoine wright?

2 years ago he was ^

this year he was frustrated with his role as young clayton got more looks

I'm not so sure Mason would be overly thrilled with his role in the Patriots offense either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes