Derrick Mason could be on the block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgb95

Rookie
Reaction score
Ravens | Mason could be on the block
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:37:55 -0700

Mike Preston, reporting for the Sporting News, reports it wouldn't be surprising if the Baltimore Ravens were shopping veteran WR Derrick Mason. Mason expressed dissatisfaction with his role in the offense at the end of the season, a recurring topic the past two years. The Ravens have enough talent and depth to trade him.

I know the PATS offered him a pretty big contract when he was available. We could now get him without haveing to pay him a Bonus.

has a team ever carried 7 WR's?

It feels strange saying this, but do we need more receivers? Of course the thought of Mason, Stallworth, and Welker being our receivers makes me shiver.

Last edited:
Had his chance to be a Patriot....

*** him and his henpecked *****.:mad:

has a team ever carried 7 WR's?
I don't think they would. If this happened:
Stallworth, Mason, and Welker would be locks
Brown, Calwell, Gaffney, and Washington would be competing for 2 spots.
Jackson starts on PUP and either moves to IR or fills in if someone goes down in the first 9 weeks.

Dear Ravens,

Here's Caldwell and a conditional 4rd round pick. Knock yourselves out.

Had his chance to be a Patriot....

*** him and his henpecked *****.:mad:

Exactly. Also, do we really want a receiver who is going to ***** about not getting enough receptions? We are set at receiver, let's invest in other areas (i.e., db and lb).

Something tells me they'd have no problem cutting Washington, Gafney, or Caldwell if they were able to bring in Mason.

Something tells me they'd have no problem cutting Washington, Gafney, or Caldwell if they were able to bring in Mason.

Why?

1. Caldwell had better numbers than Mason last year.
2. Caldwell knows the offense.
3. Mason complained about his role in another offense. Do you really think he wouldn't complain here?
4. He had a chance to sign here before - as Sey said "he had his chance."
5. Caldwell's cheaper.
6. Caldwell's six years younger.

caldwell's better and younger than mason.

mason hasn't done much the last few years.

if they could have him in a four receiver rotation for cheap bucks but it ain't happenin'

he should've had the nuts to come here and tell his wife so.
she ran him and now he pays.

coool looks like we will have the chemistry and body language threads back for this year too ...get rid of all the receivers and replace with new ones :rocker:

by the way, this would be nice if they lost him and didn't replce him, it would hurt the raven a little, even though he hasn't been that good. teams could just focus their coverages on mark clayton and stopping mcgahee.

something tells me they'd replace him though.

I love our receiving corps, so screw him.

No thanks. Mason and his wife had their chance. Now he's older and we already have too many receivers.

Yeah, lets dump gaffney and caldwell, or lets send caldwell and a 4th round pick over to the ravens for a punk ass over the hill receiver who cant even produce for the ravens. The RAVENS! Their receiving core shouldve made him and heap the only viable options. The receivers we have are better,younger, and cheaper. Mason turned down the chance to come here when their was a large sum of money on the table. Thank GOD, becuz he probably wouldnt have amounted to anything here neither.

Yeah, lets dump gaffney and caldwell, or lets send caldwell and a 4th round pick over to the ravens for a punk ass over the hill receiver who cant even produce for the ravens. The RAVENS! Their receiving core shouldve made him and heap the only viable options. The receivers we have are better,younger, and cheaper. Mason turned down the chance to come here when their was a large sum of money on the table. Thank GOD, becuz he probably wouldnt have amounted to anything here neither.

Well this is just silly. Mason was in a totally different offensive system in Baltimore. You can't necessarily blame him for everything on that side of the ball.

If he was unsuccessful with McNair at the helm, whom he is very familiar with as his QB, I don't think he'd be worth the money. Caldwell, Brown, and Gaffney are familiar with the system.

Well this is just silly. Mason was in a totally different offensive system in Baltimore. You can't necessarily blame him for everything on that side of the ball.

The general point stands, however. He’s a 33yo decent receiver who complains about his role in the offense. What would happen here, where the ball is spread around so much? He had his chance to be here and declined. End of story. I sure as hell don’t want to see him brought in at the expense of Caldwell (or even Gaffney, who is younger and cheaper and has started to learn the system). And I DEFINITELY don’t want to give up any draft picks for the guy.

I dont think their is anything silly about what I said. I didnt blame him for anything on the offensive side of the ball. Just blamed him for not tearin it up, which is what he couldve done. He didnt play badly, but he didnt play to his capabilities nor did he play up to how much hes being paid.
Also, if he is going to ***** about how he was being used in the Ravens O, what makes you think he wont ***** about brady spreading the ball out???
I can see it coming from Masons mouth already.
"C'mon Tom, why do u keep hitting welker and Caldwell on third down? I was open."
"Why does Donte get all of the deep balls? Ive been in this league for over 11 yrs. Im in my prime. Throw me the ball."

No thanx. Mason is old and over the hill. He would only continue to regress in our system. Thats why I dont want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots