PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derrick Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is a player who I will be monitoring closely at the combine. I watched alot of his games this season. He started out motivated, and flashed the power to shock an O-lineman with his initial punch at the LOS vs the run, though not at Chris Long's level. He has the natural flexibility and length that Gholston seems to lack a bit. Gholston is a much stiffer athlete. Harvey has speed off the edge, though I wouldn't call it elite, and he can bend. His initial step isn't as lightning fast as Gaines Adams, but he plays with more strength. The problem is Harvey coasted quite a bit this season, and when he wasn't interested, teams ran right at him. He would disappear and look disinterested, and was even pulled in the Georgia game for some reason. But his motor vs Georgia and in certain other performances was no more sloppy and uninspiring than Gholston's vs Illinois. Plus, Harvey is a big game performer. He dominated OSU in the BCS title game and he exploded vs Michigan in the bowl this season. Harvey's high school resume was very impressive, one of the top 5 recruits in the country, a basketball player.

IMO the #2 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB prospect is up for grabs and the better workout performance between Harvey and Gholston will decide it. I anticipate Harvey showing more agility than Gholston, just by his natural flexibility. He looks like the more fluid athlete. It will be a very intriguing competition between the two.

Last edited:
has he shown ability to drop in coverage?
and the pats usually grab guys who may lack talent, but certainly do not lack anything in the football player department.
So no guys who take plays off etc.

given his physical skills are a fit, I would not take him given lack of effort unless it's somewhere where he presents good value - not the 7th overall.
Maybe somewhere closer to late 1st.

But like you said the combine.... a sub 4.6 40, will make this guy a a top 15 pick. But again, the questionable motor scares me.

difference between Gholston & Harvey is Gholston is stronger..maybe a little faster and he has dropped back into coverage because hes played OLB and DE in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes