PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derrick Burgess is a Friggin Stiff

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was true last season; it is a lot less true this pre-season. Derrick has indeed been taking stand up OLB snaps in pre-season, whereas he did not last year.

This is true. But I think Andy's argument is - which I'm completely in agreement with - is that this is exactly what the preseason is for: trying new things that you wouldn't ordinarily do during the regular season. I personally don't want to see Derrick Burgess starting at OLB during the regular season.

That was true last season; it is a lot less true this pre-season. Derrick has indeed been taking stand up OLB snaps in pre-season, whereas he did not last year.
He did last preseason too.
Look, its his position in the base. If he played in the base, he would play OLB, but he won t play in the base.

Andy:

I'm reminded of Einstein's definition of insanity when I read of your tiresome attempts to defend the Patriots' pass defense schemes; insanity is doing the same things the same way and expecting different results.

QB12

No they are not comparative, and Derick Burgess is not just-a-guy. DB had 5 sacks last season, his firsrt playin gin a 3-4 D; Ninkovitch recorded a single sack assist. DB was a two time Probowl player and is 31, not quite an antique. He might no longer be a probowler but he is still far from a JAG. Ninko fits the definition of a ner-was, ner-will-be, or just-a-guy, aka JAG.

Burgess is a JAG now, dude. He had a pretty bad season last year which turned mediocre in three games. It has nothing to do with his age and everything to do with his quality of play.

Andy:

I'm reminded of Einstein's definition of insanity when I read of your tiresome attempts to defend the Patriots' pass defense schemes; insanity is doing the same things the same way and expecting different results.

QB12
What are you talking about?

What does the fact that Derrick Burgess cant play OLB in the 34 base have to do with this statement?

No they are not comparative, and Derick Burgess is not just-a-guy. DB had 5 sacks last season, his firsrt playin gin a 3-4 D;

Just because he recorded 5 sacks last season doesn't mean he did it from the Base 3-4 defense. I think if you go back and review last season you'll find that Burgess' sacks came when he was in the Nickle formation and not in the base 3-4.

Ninkovitch recorded a single sack assist. DB was a two time Probowl player and is 31, not quite an antique. He might no longer be a probowler but he is still far from a JAG. Ninko fits the definition of a ner-was, ner-will-be, or just-a-guy, aka JAG.

How many of Burgess sacks were solo and how many were assisted?

Just because he recorded 5 sacks last season doesn't mean he did it from the Base 3-4 defense. I think if you go back and review last season you'll find that Burgess' sacks came when he was in the Nickle formation and not in the base 3-4.

How many of Burgess sacks were solo and how many were assisted?

Only one of them was recorded as a solo sack.

Stephen Hawking got two.

Just bumping this thread to prematurely celbrate Burgess getting cut Saturday.

He didn't get much time out there tonight, but he was appalling at setting the edge and invisible on pass plays. I'd rather see Murrell, Nink, **** - even Woods.

He didn't get much time out there tonight, but he was appalling at setting the edge and invisible on pass plays. I'd rather see Murrell, Nink, **** - even Woods.

Sadly I'm feeling that way at times now too.

Yes. He sucked once again today, proving that he is not an OLB. However, Murrell wasn't very good and Nink was up and down. What makes it tough to cut Burgess is that we don't have many 3rd down pass rushers, and we know absolutely nothing about Cunningham's abilities.

I'm trying to figure out who **** is.

Must be Marco Punctuation....:D

I never thought i'd see the day when Ninko outplayed a Pro-Bowler. Rob owned Derrick tonite with what he delivered.

I slo-mo'ed the first few series. Burgess was indeed terrible. He's actually making Warren look bad. For instance, on the 15 yard run to his side he not only didn't set the edge, he obstructed Warren's attempt to play off the tackle, took an upfield angle instead of sliding to make the tackle off of McCourty's force, then got in Mayo's way, too! On passing plays he was slow off the mark; TBC reacts so much faster he looks like an all-pro in contrast. Bad as Burgess is, it mostly looks like he still doesn't know how to play OLB. It was disastrous for him to miss the camp given how unprepared he is for what they're asking of him...

No coincidence we're 0-2 with Burgess, 2-0 without him.

He'll probably make the final 53, but if last night was any indication of what he is as a player on this team I'm not so sure he'll be on the game day 45 anytime soon unless they plan on using a lot of 4-3 that day.

After the way last season ended (his last 4 or 5 games) I was moderately hopeful for him to continue his progress through to this coming season. And then he decided that training camp is for rookies and he'd rather sit home than work on boring stuff like technique and silly stuff like timing and chemistry with his teammates. ....and this is the result it seems.

If this is what Burgess really is, then BB and crew should be scouring the FA list VERY intensely starting about this afternoon/evening. If they can find abd sign a JAG OLB or a formerly good OLB who has lost a step but still wants to play and win, they've improved the team. If said player has any meaningful experience with the 3-4 he'll already be further along than Burgess seems to be at this point.

Goes without saying, but hopefully Cunningham will be back soon and hopefully he understands his role and can execute accordingly.

No coincidence we're 0-2 with Burgess, 2-0 without him.

I'm not sticking up for Burgess, but I think that's maybe a bit over simplified. He sure hasn't helped though.

Why are you singling out Burgess. Mike Wright, Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes, Gerrad Warren, and several other starters played just as bad or worse then Burgess has. At least Burgess has the excuse that he is only his second week of practicing.

The front seven played like sh*t. Spikes looked awful. Mayo looked awful. Warren looked awful. Burgess looked awful. Mike Wright actually looked okay. The rest - awful, awful, awful.

Pay me Burgess' $1.5 mill and I guarantee results. On Sunday's, I will "Mind Meld" and QBs will just fall over. Learned this from the Dodgers' psychic guru. I am "mind melding" right now. You are now believing I'm an as***le. See...it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back