Welcome to PatsFans.com

Depth of LB play against Jets

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ALP, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALP

ALP Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +48 / 2 / -0

how far back were the linebackers playing?

it seemed to me that when guyton and mayo were in at ILB, they were sometimes 10 yds back from the line of scrimmage on obvious passing downs

i mean, when its obvious the other team will pass, sure bring them back, but that far?

on the 3rd and 15 for instance, mayo at the very least was about 15 yds back...that is way too deep

2. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hmmm, an actual X's and O's football question,,, sorry I got nothing.:(

3. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +231 / 3 / -1

Depends on how far back the safeties are playing. Which is almost impossible to determine off of network footage.

Tampa 2 Mikes will often get 20-25 yard drops, since the Tampa 2 safeties get width with their depth and protect the deep sidelines. In the SF/Ari game I saw Patrick Willis running vertical with 40 yard slot seams.

Just guessing here, but I guess coverage was called based on expectations that Farve would either throw way beyond the down marker, thus safeties deep, or throw a shallow crossing route West Coast style and hope the receiver could run into a crease and pick up the first down Welker style. Thus short zone defenders playing deep and downhill. Instead it was just a skinny post, which you want to sandwich in coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.