PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Depth at LB is pretty good actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So most of us were expecting the Patriots to draft a LB at some point. As it turns out they did not. So maybe the need isn't as big there as we thought.

Starters - Mayo, Collins, Hightower. Ideally they will play over 95% of all LB related snaps. This is very possible considering most of the time we only have 2 LBs on the field anyway. Now lets take a look at the backups and see what the depth looks like.

Hull - He is a STer but with LB experience. He would not be lost out there.

W. Smith - While I think he will see more time in a DE rotation he has experience here and can back up in certain situations.

Nink - Obviously he will see most of his time at DE. But he can play LB too. With getting more projected depth at DE with Smith added, Armstead healthy, Buchanan on year 2 and Easley being able to move around; it is not a stretch to say Nink can move here for a few snaps a game if needed. Also if a big injury happens we can probably afford for him to split time.

Gordon/Morris - 2 UDFAs that some people are high on. While I wouldn't trust either to carry the load a few snaps here and there are not out of the question. Also maybe Beauh makes a jump and allows you to rotate him.

So while the depth here is not as deep as it could be I would say it is good enough assuming relative health from the top line guys.

No mention of beuharinis(I'm sure I spelled this wrong) surprised me. He wore the dot for a preseason game or two after mayo was done, I wouldn't overlook him...

Another year to bulk up and learn the system, he's my sleeper at LB this year. Keep an eye on the kid.

I'm hesitant to consider it depth when it requires you to move a player out of another position. Moving Nink or Smith (who I view as a pure DE in our defense), removes an option from the DL, so I don't really count those.

So what we have is three solid starters, and a collection of ST'ers and undrafted rookies competing for the depth spots. This could work out fine of course (I never saw Ninkovich growing into the player he's now become, so it could happen with someone else), but I'd feel better with just ONE more guy who's played extensive snaps at LB. But that's part of building a team. It's impossible to have quality starters and depth at every position.

No, it sucks. Smith is 280 pounds coming off an ACL and has nevre played LB

Gordon/Morris - 2 UDFAs that some people are high on?

People are high if they are high on these guys.

Wait a second, I get it now. This thread was a joke, my bad. Carry on.

No. Nink and the Fresh Prince are 3-4 OLBs, or to use Coach B's term "end-of-the-line players." They don't have any experience as 4-3 backers. Beauharnais is backup to Hightower, but Hightower still backs-up Mayo and Collins. We're short on coverage LBs. Morris is a bit of Beauharnais clone, but has a year less experience, and Gordon was only an STer until last year at Michigan. Unless Hull or White can show something on D, instead of just ST, I'd like to see a vet FA signing to give us some depth at coverage LB.

I'm hesitant to consider it depth when it requires you to move a player out of another position. Moving Nink or Smith (who I view as a pure DE in our defense), removes an option from the DL, so I don't really count those.

So what we have is three solid starters, and a collection of ST'ers and undrafted rookies competing for the depth spots. This could work out fine of course (I never saw Ninkovich growing into the player he's now become, so it could happen with someone else), but I'd feel better with just ONE more guy who's played extensive snaps at LB. But that's part of building a team. It's impossible to have quality starters and depth at every position.

Well it may not have been fair to count Nink or Smith as depth individually. I think it is kinda unfair to not count them as depth together. I mean it is unlikely we will have both play DE at the same time so 1 will likely always be available for backup LB reps. While I would prefer them to be mostly used for DE rotation if that spot is as full as I think it will be fairly easy to allow 1 to take some LB reps here and there while not hurting your DE rotation.

Well it may not have been fair to count Nink or Smith as depth individually. I think it is kinda unfair to not count them as depth together. I mean it is unlikely we will have both play DE at the same time so 1 will likely always be available for backup LB reps. While I would prefer them to be mostly used for DE rotation if that spot is as full as I think it will be fairly easy to allow 1 to take some LB reps here and there while not hurting your DE rotation.

It depends on how you viewed the DE situation last year. If you're like me, you'd like to see Jones and Ninko play a few less snaps to allow for a fresher rotation of players. I feel like you defeat that purpose if you're pulling Nink off the line only to play him at LB. Now if Smith works out, Buchanon steps up, and someone else steps up as well (Easley plays some end, or Moore surprises everyone), then you might have the depth available at end to move Nink to LB for some snaps. But I think the simpler solution would be to just find another good LB.

No, it sucks. Smith is 280 pounds coming off an ACL and has nevre played LB

Gordon/Morris - 2 UDFAs that some people are high on?

People are high if they are high on these guys.

Wait a second, I get it now. This thread was a joke, my bad. Carry on.

Smith has played LB. Obviously he would come in more as a MLB/run stopper in our system or a rush LB.

But you just want to spout hyperbole and ignore meaningful conversation. So carry on.

just as long as hightower doesnt have to cover anyone we are good.

No. Nink and the Fresh Prince are 3-4 OLBs, or to use Coach B's term "end-of-the-line players." They don't have any experience as 4-3 backers. Beauharnais is backup to Hightower, but Hightower still backs-up Mayo and Collins. We're short on coverage LBs. Morris is a bit of Beauharnais clone, but has a year less experience, and Gordon was only an STer until last year at Michigan. Unless Hull or White can show something on D, instead of just ST, I'd like to see a vet FA signing to give us some depth at coverage LB.

The comment about 3-4 LBs is fair enough. But that is some level of experience at the position at the very least. I think Nink could be successful as a 3-4 or 4-3 (but not Smith; at least not as far as all around play at the spot goes). Hull did play defensive snaps as a LB and though I don't think he will be seeing any probowls he is a viable backup option for limited minutes I think. I like you am also for them signing another LB to help backup the coverage duties. I just think we should pump the breaks a bit on the notion that we have NO ONE behind the starting 3 that is useful. I think we have some options.

Also having 3 quality LBs for us is like having 1 backup already. We run 2 more than 3 as it stands like I said in my opening post so generally 1 of our starters is going to be the first backup anyway for most situation.

So most of us were expecting the Patriots to draft a LB at some point. As it turns out they did not. So maybe the need isn't as big there as we thought.

Starters - Mayo, Collins, Hightower. Ideally they will play over 95% of all LB related snaps. This is very possible considering most of the time we only have 2 LBs on the field anyway. Now lets take a look at the backups and see what the depth looks like.

Hull - He is a STer but with LB experience. He would not be lost out there.

W. Smith - While I think he will see more time in a DE rotation he has experience here and can back up in certain situations.

Nink - Obviously he will see most of his time at DE. But he can play LB too. With getting more projected depth at DE with Smith added, Armstead healthy, Buchanan on year 2 and Easley being able to move around; it is not a stretch to say Nink can move here for a few snaps a game if needed. Also if a big injury happens we can probably afford for him to split time.

Gordon/Morris - 2 UDFAs that some people are high on. While I wouldn't trust either to carry the load a few snaps here and there are not out of the question. Also maybe Beauh makes a jump and allows you to rotate him.

So while the depth here is not as deep as it could be I would say it is good enough assuming relative health from the top line guys.

Will Smith is not a LB in any way. He does not have experience at LB.
He was going to be converted to a stand up DE/OLB who would only rush the passer every down in a 34 in NO but got injured. He has not ever and could not ever play 43 OLB.

If Ninkovich is the 4th LB, we are not paper thin. If he isn't we are anorexic in LB depth.

At least we have 3 1st round picks as starters, mayo, hightower and collins (almost a 1st rounder) , so you throw a jag out there he will look good or serviceable surrounded by these players.

Smith has played LB. Obviously he would come in more as a MLB/run stopper in our system or a rush LB.

But you just want to spout hyperbole and ignore meaningful conversation. So carry on.
You keep saying this, but it just isnt true.

You keep saying this, but it just isnt true.

I read he did. Maybe the article was wrong but I was lead to believe he had rush LB experience in real game situations. I am not trying to be dishonest here.

I don't see any meaningful conversation, Will Smith may have been put in at a LB position but likely had primary pass rush responsibilities. Perhaps he dropped into coverage a couple times for a zone blitz but he can't be realistically expected to play LB next season. The Run Stuffing MLB is not a role he has ever played or will play in the future.

Outside, all looks good and, if one of Davis, White, Hull or (my guess) Beauharnais steps up inside, then I think it's manageable. Not unlike when we had Fletcher in the fold last year. If not, then yes it's a potential worry spot.

Will Smith is not a LB he is a career DE who spent 1 season as 34 OLB but he seldom dropped into coverage if ever. The depth is about the same as it ended up being in the last few years

Mayo
Hightower
Collins
TBD
TBD

Hightower
Spikes
Collins
Fletcher
Beauharnais
C. White

Mayo
Spikes
Hightower
Rivera
T. White

Mayo
Spikes
Ninkovich
Koutouvides
T. White

Considering the team finish 30th in the NFL in rush defense in 2013 I would not be at all surprised to see them move back to a 4-3 under like they ran in 2011.

LE – Armstead
DT – Kelly
NT – Wilfork
RE – Jones
SOLB – Ninkovich
MLB – Hightower
WOLB – Mayo

This would make Collins the fourth LB and save him primarily for sub packages.

Nink has played 4-3 OLB for us in the past, not his natural fit but he didn't look out of place there, but then who would we have at DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back