PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeOssie thinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeOssie thinks... isn't that an example of an oxymoron

Last edited:
There will be wars and rumors of wars.......

More likely BB trades down than up. We all know it. If this is such a crap draft for 1st round talent that lots of people are saying, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if BB traded out of 17 for a pick this year and a 1st next year.......

Last edited:
And then there are people who love him, like Wes Bunting:

What, specifically, makes him look like a bust? He's got basically anything you can ask from an OLB in the scheme other than experience at OLB.

Here is what ESPN says about him: Tall. Plays too high at times and needs to learn to better protect his lower body. A lot stronger in upper body than lower. Struggles to anchor at the point of attack versus bigger offensive tackles. Will get up the field and disrupt in the backfield. Shows adequate discipline with contain. Can make plays versus the run in pursuit but backside effort is a bit inconsistent. Works hard as a pass rusher all of the time. Motor is a bit inconsistent versus the run. Will give a great effort if he's still in the play but doesn't always chase from backside as hard as he should. Definitely a finesse player. Can be somewhat of a pile inspector (see: Illinois 2010).

If he can't set the edge or hasn't proven that he can than BB will not trade up for him much less draft him at 17. I also watched some tape of him on youtube vs Iowa and Colorado and he seems very strong up top but weak in the legs like Shawn Crable did coming out of college. I also don't like the fact that many of his sacks come as a DT in a 4 man front. He won't be able to get sacks like that in the NFL at his size. He is definitely your classic Boom or Bust candidate that BB has always passed on. I think he fits better as a one gap 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE.

I just happen to catch a little of some late night sports show the other day. I know we all have our opinions, but found his interesting. Steve DeOssie thinks that the Pats package some picks to move UP and grab the Pass Rusher we need in the first round. He also said that he's heard some talk in Foxboro about that.

It defintely goes against the Patriots and Belichick's M.O, but i found it interesting. Seems like it would take a LOT to get to where i think we'd NEED to be to grab someone IMPACTFUL from day one. Its going to be an interesting offseason for sure!

Jonathan Sullivan - 2003, DeWayne Robertson 2004,..... XXXXXX DL 2011 - part 3. Some idiot GM will pay to move up for the franchise DL, sure won;t be BB.:singing:

If there is a rookie salary cap then moving up make a LOT of sense...

but lest we forget ... we moved down twice last year in the first and got an impact (super-impact) player in McCourty -- the next Darell Revis.

If there is a rookie salary cap then moving up make a LOT of sense...

but lest we forget ... we moved down twice last year in the first and got an impact (super-impact) player in McCourty -- the next Darell Revis.

No, we got the next Devin McCourty.

Here is what ESPN says about him: Tall. Plays too high at times and needs to learn to better protect his lower body. A lot stronger in upper body than lower. Struggles to anchor at the point of attack versus bigger offensive tackles. Will get up the field and disrupt in the backfield. Shows adequate discipline with contain. Can make plays versus the run in pursuit but backside effort is a bit inconsistent. Works hard as a pass rusher all of the time. Motor is a bit inconsistent versus the run. Will give a great effort if he's still in the play but doesn't always chase from backside as hard as he should. Definitely a finesse player. Can be somewhat of a pile inspector (see: Illinois 2010).

If he can't set the edge or hasn't proven that he can than BB will not trade up for him much less draft him at 17. I also watched some tape of him on youtube vs Iowa and Colorado and he seems very strong up top but weak in the legs like Shawn Crable did coming out of college. I also don't like the fact that many of his sacks come as a DT in a 4 man front. He won't be able to get sacks like that in the NFL at his size. He is definitely your classic Boom or Bust candidate that BB has always passed on. I think he fits better as a one gap 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE.

I think his work against the run is underrated. He definitely has room to add weight, but 260 is 260, it just looks like a lot more when it's on somebody who is 6-2 than Smith, who is somewhere between 6-4 and 6-5. As far as setting the edge, I think the only other realistic draft prospect with better potential in that area is Quinn. Smith doesn't have the technique to set the edge effectively right now, but he has good bulk, room to add more, plus long arms. Cunningham was the worst OLB at setting the edge in training camp, but was the best at it by the end of the season.

I don't really agree with the whole "finesse player" part. Von Miller is finesse. A lot of college pass rushers' damage is done without even taking on blockers. They go around guys. Smith, on the other hand, actually has pass rush moves. He engages and then sheds blockers. That's a key aspect of the Patriots' scheme. He's not a guy who was getting by on pure athleticism. He has moves and they were effective.

He's definitely a year away from full time OLB duties, but just about every pass rusher in the draft is. In the list of qualities that Bill values in his OLBs, Aldon has the ones you can't gain (height, arm length, athleticism) and has the potential for the ones you can (bulk, technique). There is no finished product at OLB in the draft, so drafting for the future is about the best you can do, and I think Aldon is going to be an elite all around player, wherever he goes.

And I think McCourty is going to be a lot more of a Charles Woodson than a Darrelle Revis. He won't ever be quite the shutdown guy that Revis is, but he'll be a better all-around CB, like Woodson.

Last edited:
He's definitely a year away from full time OLB duties, but just about every pass rusher in the draft is. In the list of qualities that Bill values in his OLBs, Aldon has the ones you can't gain (height, arm length, athleticism) and has the potential for the ones you can (bulk, technique). There is no finished product at OLB in the draft, so drafting for the future is about the best you can do, and I think Aldon is going to be an elite all around player, wherever he goes.

BB has passed on hundreds of kids like Smith in previous years.

First there is not a lot of film on Smith, expect BB to pass.

Second Smith plays very high,the NFL is about leverage and low man winning, expect BB to pass.

Third his dedication to the run is marginal at best, see Mathews of USC, expect BB to pass.

I just happen to catch a little of some late night sports show the other day. I know we all have our opinions, but found his interesting. Steve DeOssie thinks that the Pats package some picks to move UP and grab the Pass Rusher we need in the first round. He also said that he's heard some talk in Foxboro about that.

It defintely goes against the Patriots and Belichick's M.O, but i found it interesting. Seems like it would take a LOT to get to where i think we'd NEED to be to grab someone IMPACTFUL from day one. Its going to be an interesting offseason for sure!

I understand the logic.

The Patriots have limited spots available on their roster but a glut of picks.

If this were a regular year I could see Belichick trading picks for an established player (I think he correctly views the draft as a crap shoot) -but since its looking doubtful there will be a CBA that won't happen.

Instead if Belichick has a guy he really wants in the draft he has the ammunition he needs and will pull the trigger.

But I can also see Belichick trading picks for future draft choices - with those same limited roster spots and the inability to use them for players might prompt him to bank that ability til there's the freedom to do so next season.

I understand the logic.

The Patriots have limited spots available on their roster but a glut of picks.

If this were a regular year I could see Belichick trading picks for an established player (I think he correctly views the draft as a crap shoot) -but since its looking doubtful there will be a CBA that won't happen.

Instead if Belichick has a guy he really wants in the draft he has the ammunition he needs and will pull the trigger.

But I can also see Belichick trading picks for future draft choices - with those same limited roster spots and the inability to use them for players might prompt him to bank that ability til there's the freedom to do so next season.

I see it same way...we've added 17 players to our 53 man roster in the last 2 drafts. I can easily see the additional 1,2,3 this yr be traded for future yr picks. There's really limited spots on this team now - OL, RB, OLB/DE, WR to be filled via draft & FA. Everything else is full

I see it same way...we've added 17 players to our 53 man roster in the last 2 drafts. I can easily see the additional 1,2,3 this yr be traded for future yr picks. There's really limited spots on this team now - OL, RB, OLB/DE, WR to be filled via draft & FA. Everything else is full

I only see QB and TE as full. Everything else is wide open!

Although I think if BB gets the impact defender early, he could go into trade mode big time and then stock up 2012 picks and/or a bunch of 2011 2nd rounders.

Either way I see a good 10 plus newcomers next year. 3 at RB, 3 at O Line, 1 on the D Line, 2 at OLB and 1 in the secondary.

I only see QB and TE as full. Everything else is wide open!

Although I think if BB gets the impact defender early, he could go into trade mode big time and then stock up 2012 picks and/or a bunch of 2011 2nd rounders.

Either way I see a good 10 plus newcomers next year. 3 at RB, 3 at O Line, 1 on the D Line, 2 at OLB and 1 in the secondary.

I agree, full is a relative term. In almost every unit the 2nd, 3rd or 4th option can be improved which would improve the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes