PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeOssie thinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

onegr8om

Practice Squad Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I just happen to catch a little of some late night sports show the other day. I know we all have our opinions, but found his interesting. Steve DeOssie thinks that the Pats package some picks to move UP and grab the Pass Rusher we need in the first round. He also said that he's heard some talk in Foxboro about that.

It defintely goes against the Patriots and Belichick's M.O, but i found it interesting. Seems like it would take a LOT to get to where i think we'd NEED to be to grab someone IMPACTFUL from day one. Its going to be an interesting offseason for sure!

There is a good chance a pass rusher will come to us at 17. Seems to be a lot of them in this draft. Now if there is one that he covets than fine. But I would be dissapointed if we moved up earlier than 11 other than anyone not named Bowers,Jordan or Fairley. I group the others as raw but players that could be impact to stellar with time. Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Adrian Clayborne, JJ Watt, Kerrigan, off the top of my head.

Music to my ears.

Trade up to 13 to snatch Aldon!

If I was a member of that organization, and wanted to spread a little disinformation a long way, I couldn't think of a better way to do it than to mention something like this to Steve or Fred.

If I was a member of that organization, and wanted to spread a little disinformation a long way, I couldn't think of a better way to do it than to mention something like this to Steve or Fred.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

If anything I see BB trading #17 and sliding down to still get some quality DE's or OLBs or even an OT.

the only guy I could see moving up for is fairley

The title of this thread sorta got me chuckling right off the bat.

Anyone here really think that BB is telling people what he'll be doing come draft day without that person resorting to waterboarding?

N'ah. Me neither.

Trade up to 13 to snatch Aldon!

I feel like Aldon Smith has bust written all over him.

Aldon Smith, Missouri, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Gil Brandt of ESPN.com, the longtime personnel director of the Dallas Cowboys, isn't sure that Smith is making the right choice. "I think that guys at that position, it's imperative that they get as much strength and maturity as possible," Brandt said. "Historically, I don't think it's a good move. ... He's got potential, no question. That's what you're banking on, his potential. "For whatever reason, that potential seems to come faster when they've played a full four years (in college). But only time will tell." - Bill Coats, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

I feel like Aldon Smith has bust written all over him.

Aldon Smith, Missouri, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

And then there are people who love him, like Wes Bunting:
Impression: A downright dominant defensive lineman with an impressive physical skill set and great length. Showcases impress savvy, fluidity and violence as a pass rusher and should be able to further develop in the run game and mature into a potential Pro Bowl-caliber NFL defensive lineman.

What, specifically, makes him look like a bust? He's got basically anything you can ask from an OLB in the scheme other than experience at OLB.

I think the target is Robert Quinn, His concerns may push him down far enough so that a 3rd rd pick may suffice to move up. The guy is a top 5 player that may slide to 12. When he traded Seymour he hoped that the Pick would be a top ten pick, this is his chance to get one. At 12 the pick is also a 6 year contract, while at 17 I think it goes down to 5

and a far as BB giving signals, I agree there is no chance there but there are 20 other people who were in scouting. Maybe it is just more of an emphasis on scouting players closer to the the top of the board than they had in recent years. We are higher than every year except mayo's year.

DeOssie thinks.. that is scary. With that being said he has accomplished his goal of getting folks to mention his name.

Pretty sure at this stage of the game, that BB & Krewe have some ideas, but no definite plans at this stage of the draft...

Bowers is the only pass rusher who really stands out at the top of this class and right now he is out of their reach without spending both firsts, which while possible given that they have the first pick in the second round is also highly unlikely. Miller and Quinn aren't worth a big move for but would be worth smaller moves, like #17 up to the 10-13 range.

What, specifically, makes him look like a bust? He's got basically anything you can ask from an OLB in the scheme other than experience at OLB.

I think the biggest question mark is his production wasn't great this year. I think he had 5.5 sacks in 10 games, which for a very talented redshirt sophomore is ok but not great.

Number two would be he looks like a basketball player out there-he's tall and fast but not incredibly physical, he doesn't get low when he's coming around the corner, stuff like that.

When you're picking a guy in the top ten, which is where he's probably going to go, I think you'd like to see awesome physical potential (which he has) and awesome production-and he only has good production.

Disinformation.

It's worth repeating (every draft) that there are no sure things in the inexact science known as the draft. That said, Belichick will select the surest player as his first pick. The one player with few concerns who fits best at a position of need (not necessarily BB's #1 need). A junior or senior with at least two productive seasons and zero character concerns. And that's just at #17. Any trade-up would be for an immediate starter/impact player. There aren't many in the top 15 who fit the description -- find that player.

He's not on my Patriot type player draft board.

I was wondering about the "bust" conclusion, too. Especially after reading the NFLDraftScout analysis that was linked to. They had a gentle knock on him for lack of pass rush production and a note that he occasionally doesn't use proper technique when tackling. Other than that it seemed like nothing but good things about holding the PoA, shedding well, getting down the line well, avoiding reach blocks.

I guess maybe if he's not an elite pass-rusher right out of the gate, he's a bust, no matter what else he may do well, eh?

You don't spend multiple draft picks to move up for an inexperienced conversion project like Aldon Smith or a guy who's too small and not a good fit in Von Miller.

I think when they say passrusher, they mean Defensive End. A guy like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan comes to mind. BB plays it safe with his first round picks. Now if Smith falls to #28 then I'd consider him. But chances are we trade out of that pick for a mid 2nd rounder and a future pick. One of the top 4 QBs is abound to slip that far and there's bound to be a team desperate to get their franchise QB this year instead of waiting another year to get him into their system.

Last edited:
You don't spend multiple draft picks to move up for an inexperienced conversion project like Aldon Smith or a guy who's too small and not a good fit in Von Miller.

I think when they say passrusher, they mean Defensive End. A guy like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan comes to mind. BB plays it safe with his first round picks. Now if Smith falls to #28 then I'd consider him. But chances are we trade out of that pick for a mid 2nd rounder and a future pick. One of the top 4 QBs is abound to slip that far and there's bound to be a team desperate to get their franchise QB this year instead of waiting another year to get him into their system.

Bunting also says Aldon Smith can play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB and that he'll find success rushing the passer from anywhere on the field.

Who is an OLB prospect that isn't an inexperienced conversion prospect? At least with Smith, we're looking at somebody who has pass rush moves to build on, plus elite athleticism. Subpackage DE with some OLB mixed in to start the season, starting OLB by his second year. That's about the best you can hope from any pass rusher in this scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes