PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DEONE BUCANNON

Brady_Moss

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The closer we get to the draft, the more I think that this guy will become a Patriot in the 1st-2nd round. He's big, physical, and fast. From the look at this year's defensive backs, we are physical all over except the SS position. He'd be a perfect addition to our new physical DB's. What do you guys think?

if Calvin Pryor or Haha Dix don't fall and BB goes DE/DT round one then this guy, who I love, is a legit option

I think Deone Buchannon fills one of our biggest needs this year.

He's my favorite Safety in the draft and one of my favorite prospects overall. In addition to excellent size, strength and speed numbers he was very productive last year (114 total tackles, 6 ints, 3 forced fumbles). #29 might be too early for Buchannon but I doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick.

IMO Clinton-Dix doesn't fit what we need, and will be gone by #29 anyway, and I prefer Buchannon to Pryor. From what I've seen Pryor reminds me too much of Brandon Meriwhether. Pryor sometimes takes bad angles or goes for the big hit and doesn't take his man down. And another Safety that has been mocked to the Pats, Jimmie Ward, has a medical situation that scares me. Read up on Jones fractures which Ward has. It sometimes doesn't heal right, especially in athletes, and becomes a chronic problem.

Last edited:
I like D1. But he would be a luxury pick at this point and we have a lot of needs. We just don't have enough picks this year in a deep draft. I really wish we had managed to roll the Ras I Dowling pick forward. what a big waste of draft capital he turned out to be!!

I think Deone Buchannon fills one of our biggest needs this year.

He's my favorite Safety in the draft and one of my favorite prospects overall. In addition to excellent size, strength and speed numbers he was very productive last year (114 total tackles, 6 ints, 3 forced fumbles). #29 might be too early for Buchannon but I doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick.

IMO Clinton-Dix doesn't fit what we need, and will be gone by #29 anyway, and I prefer Buchannon to Pryor. From what I've seen Pryor reminds me too much of Brandon Meriwhether. Pryor sometimes takes bad angles or goes for the big hit and doesn't take his man down. And another Safety that has been mocked to the Pats, Jimmie Ward, has a medical situation that scares me. Read up on Jones fractures which Ward has. It sometimes doesn't heal right, especially in athletes, and becomes a chronic problem.

I say we trade back to the early 30s (to a QB needy team) then grab him

If Pryor falls, I don't see how the team could pass him up. He's exactly what the defensive backfield needs to be completely solidified and I could very easily see him starting in Week 1. That said, I don't see any way he makes it last Dallas. Maybe if Donald fell to them but I don't see that either. So, if it's not Pryor, I would be fine with Bucannon.

Although i could see it at #62 it makes no sense in the first imo. They have serious needs at several positions and DB is not one of them, in fact it is the strongest unit on the team overall. I like Buchanon and can see them using a 2nd on him in the right circumstances but wouldn't see it as priority but more as an insurance policy, i.e.., there other top choices are gone and they can't move down.

I like Buccanon and I think SS is still a need for this team, but after doing more research I fear he might be another Brandon Meriweather. Looks great at times, but undisciplined and makes mistakes/takes bad angles at other times.

Here he is blowing his assignments and giving up big TD's.

bucannon-takes-bad-angle-oregon.gif

Bucannon_zps7809ef5d.gif

I would imagine BB would not tolerate a safety giving up huge chunks of yards like that.

If we're spending ANOTHER high pick on Safety (Tavon Wilson 2nd rd, Duron Harmon 3rd rd, Patrick Chung 2nd rd) he better be someone who is guaranteed to start for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
If Pryor falls, I don't see how the team could pass him up. He's exactly what the defensive backfield needs to be completely solidified and I could very easily see him starting in Week 1. That said, I don't see any way he makes it last Dallas. Maybe if Donald fell to them but I don't see that either. So, if it's not Pryor, I would be fine with Bucannon.
completely agree man. Pryor would make this secondary Legion of Boom East Coast

completely agree man. Pryor would make this secondary Legion of Boom East Coast

When did Pryor become a strong safety? I don't see a reason to draft Pryor. I would rather simply move Ryan to safety to compete with Harmon.

I think that Buchannon or Ward at 62 (or even earlier) would be better fits to our need.

When did Pryor become a strong safety? I don't see a reason to draft Pryor. I would rather simply move Ryan to safety to compete with Harmon.

I think that Buchannon or Ward at 62 (or even earlier) would be better fits to our need.

You cant always just move a guy to S. And I like Ryan at CB but since when does the difference of SS/FS matter? we started freaking Gregory for 2 years. he was a SSS (shouldn't be starting safety). I like Harmon though, he showed some good things last year. but if Pryor falls, why not? He's a hitter but isn't stupid like a meriweather and can cover at least. He would fit in fine. If you can guarantee me Ealy, Nix or Hageman at 29 then Bucannon at 62 then I would do that but Bucannon isn't falling to 62 imo. and Ealy, Nix and Hageman could be gone to.
All in all, I don't mind if we don't draft S at all. I like Harmon. But, if a talent like Pryor was to fall, I think you gotta take him.

I have no problem with the player but it would be disappointing to have to spend even more resources on the safety position. In the last 2 years we have spent a 2nd and a 3rd rounder on safeties while also moving a former 1st rounder there as well. I'm hoping they are confident that Harmon will take the leap because that is a lot of resources to put into a position that only has 2 guys on the field at a time.

FWIW I like Pryor.

If he falls to 25, we should trade up. But I think he gets drafted much higher than that.

Pryor's best fit with the Pats would be at SS. He'd be more natural there and more of a complement to McCourty who has FS responsibilities. As for moving Ryan over to safety, we would be solid coverage-wise. But a back end featuring two smaller former corners at safety is begging for a couple of things:

1. Passes up the seam to TE's.

2. To get pounded by the opposing running game.

3. Injuries.

Give me a natural SS there. Bucannon and Pryor both fit the bill as do hybrids like Shazier and KPL.

Last edited:
I like the player but I don't think the need is great enough for him to be our 1st pick or to trade up in the 2nd to get.

Now if he falls to 62.... then you have a hard choice to me.

This is a great topic to discuss because it is a real deep safety class. Bucannon is a terrific player and if the Pats trade down (36 or 39 pick) but still can get a player like Hageman I can see the Pats considering him in the 2nd round but wanting to wait for the 3rd or 4th. There are some other real good prospects the Pats may be also be considering like Dion Bailey, Ahmad Dixon and Craig Loston who all have skills and size and may be available in the 4th. With the investment made in the two cornerbacks, signing of Chung as a back-up, recent history of defensive back picks, I would be surprised to see the Pats pick a safety any higher than the 3rd.

I'm not as high on Bucannon as many here and I think Jimmie Ward is the pick if the Patriots trade down. He is not a big hitter like Bucannon but is a much better tackler in the open field IMO. Also out of all the safeties, I think Ward has the best cover skills (Dix is a better center fielder, but Ward is better man to man).

Ryan Shazier is a better option than either of them.

As much as I like Bucannon, I can't justify spending a first round pick on a safety.

Pryor's best fit with the Pats would be at SS. He'd be more natural there and more of a complement to McCourty who has FS responsibilities. As for moving Ryan over the safety, we would be solid coverage-wise. But a back end featuring two smaller former corners at safeties is begging for a couple of things:

1. Passes up the seam to TE's.

2. To get pounded by the opposing running game.

3. Injuries.

Give me a natural SS there. Bucannon and Pryor both fit the bill as do hybrids like Shazier and KPL.
I think I understand what you are getting at Kontra, but I disagree with your solution to the problem. Perhaps what gets me off is your constant referral to what we need is a SS. Since the Pats rarely flop safeties, having a true SS in the image of Rodney, just doesn't fit what BB wants to do. Besides his measurables aren't much different than guys who are already on the roster.

In the end the "other" safety is one whose coverage skills will be valued more highly than his tackling or hitting skills. The issue I have with picking a "SS" that high is with the way our current defense is being configured, an in the box S isn't going to be on the field all 3 downs.

Let me offer you a solution to your issue that wouldn't require us to pick a S with a high pick. Instead think about, depending on the match ups and weekly strategy, using Browner, Collins, or a KPL hybrid LB/S type who we can get later, to fill that "SS role" in those situations you feel you need to have one.

You see, rather than using Browner strictly as an outside CB, I think when you have a difficult TE match up, HE can be that "SS" who man's him up. Sometimes it could be Collins, if Browner is needed elsewhere, or a hybrid like KPL. If that's the case, the times your "smaller" S won't be matched up on those bigger TE's very often.

I hope you can see what I'm getting at. I'm hoping that Ian can find me a way to diagram it. If he can, I'll do a thread that will articulate what I want to express better than I'm doing now. The point being, the way I THINK this defense will operate makes a "true SS" a situational player, and thus not worthy of draft pick that high, especially when we have several options on the roster that can fill that situational role.

So in the end, while I see Bucannon as being a very nice player, I don't see him filling a big enough need to justify such a high pick to acquire him.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back