Denver well aware of what Patriots bring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4376551,00.html

But then came Monday, and the New England Patriots got their attention.

"Nothing needs to be said," Broncos running back Mike Anderson said. "They've won it, they've won it again and they won it again. We know what they've done and what kind of opportunity we have Saturday. I think guys came back ready to go. If you can't get ready to play somebody like that, you need to go do something else with your time."

The Broncos practiced only twice last week because coach Mike Shanahan said he preferred to work on a short list of specific items and still give the team a much-needed break "both mentally and physically."

But Monday, having only six days until their AFC divisional-round game against the Patriots at Invesco Field at Mile High on Saturday (6 p.m., CBS 4), the Broncos got back to business.

Shanahan did two things to reacquaint them with the task at hand.

First, he dangled the carrot of history in front of them.

Then, he put the team in pads for practice.
-----
The Broncos were happy to put the pads on.

"It was good to come back and get some hitting going on . . . ," defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban said. "Guys were flying around. I think whatever everyone did when they were away from here is over after the first play. You practice like that and everybody knows this is the kind of game you want to be involved in."

"We went full speed," linebacker Al Wilson said. "That gets you right back at it, baby. It's time to get your mind right. This is why we do this."
-----
Since the Broncos beat the Patriots 28-20 on Oct. 16, New England has been on a roll. How the Patriots have fared in the 10 games since:

• Record 7-3

• Average points allowed 17.4

• Average points scored 24.1

Doesn't seem to be any lack of respect THERE.I'm impressed. Broncs will be tough.

respect or revenge?

flutie2phelan said:
Doesn't seem to be any lack of respect THERE.I'm impressed. Broncs will be tough.
i guess our guys don't intend to use the rodney dangerfield dont-get-no-respect mantra this time.
maybe they'll just play it as a revenge match. or get all worked over the broncos' O-line.
rest assured patriots will be stoked on some form of hatred and loathing when they take the field.

ilduce06410 said:
i guess our guys don't intend to use the rodney dangerfield dont-get-no-respect mantra this time.
maybe they'll just play it as a revenge match. or get all worked over the broncos' O-line.
rest assured patriots will be stoked on some form of hatred and loathing when they take the field.
Not to mention that Logan will be looking for a little payback! ;)

I look at it as another opportunity to prove ourselves again on another tough stage.

Denver has a lot to prove here as well. Especially Jake Plummer.

This could be one of those classics they talk about decades from now.

ilduce06410 said:

Oh Rodney Dangerfield huh... What is that? You dissing us? See, nobody respects the patriots and their fans... nobody! It's us against the world and we're gonna shock the world again baby. We live for this stuff.

Rodney Dangerfield
Rodney Harrison

Yeah, we caught that little sleight. You guys never learn... never give us the respect we deserve. We do our talking on the field when we aren't pointing out how little respect we are getting. That's why will win again this weekend!

Denver will definitely be much better prepared for us than Jacksonville was. Belichick is, of course, on his own level as a coach, but Shannahan is one of a few coaches in the next tier down, still a tremendous coach and game planner. There will be no lack of respect in this game, both sides know the other side and know how good they are. That having been said, our game preparation will carry us. Denver is a really really good team, and I firmly believe if they can find a way past us, they will win the Super Bowl. However, getting through us will be the tough part.

flutie2phelan said:

All smack aside...The closer we get to saturday the more I think this is going to be one helluva tough game. If the broncs can get that early lead, they should be okay. But if the Pats can keep it close, say within 7 rolling into the 4th qtr--well, I think they're the better clutch team and they'll pull out the W.

I agree with several posts here that the keys to the game for the Pats will be shutting down the Broncs' run and keeping Super Tom clean. I'd add that the Pats need to rattle Plummer early. If they don't, I think they'll be caught off guard by the efficiency of Denver's passing attack.

For the Broncs, if they consistently give Tom time to throw...yikes.

So yes, I admit it: I fear and respect the Pats. That said, I still give Denver the edge, slightly better odds than a coin toss.

bombquixote said:
So yes, I admit it: I fear and respect the Pats. That said, I still give Denver the edge, slightly better odds than a coin toss.

Yeah, I think that about sums it up. I'm thinking 24-20 one way or the other.

flutie2phelan said:

------------------

agreed, this should be one of the best, if not THE best game this year. Remember, Dillon, you are washed up, Brady, not accurate, holes everywhere in the defense, and a buch of kidss on the offensive line......boys, don't forget to read this b4 you head out to Denver....

:D :D :D :D

The Patriots bring more than championships and knowing how to win big games . . . they bring the best Front Seven in football, if Bruschi plays anywhere close to 100%.

That plus the fact that Brady has yet to play badly in a big game are why I'm sticking with my 27-13 prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back