PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver was a soft team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. And laugh if you want, but the Rams aren't going to bend-over. They'll put up more of a fight.

totally, i'd take stephen jackson over the top 3 denver offensive players combined. bulgar is still a top QB no matter what their ex-coach thought and holt is still dangerous at wideout. their oline is solid. their defense isnt stellar but theyre not pushovers either ... they made mincemeat out of boyz oline on sunday. plus theyre winning for their new coach haslett.

Last edited:
totally, i'd take stephen jackson over the top 3 denver offensive players combined. bulgar is still a top QB no matter what their ex-coach thought and holt is still dangerous at wideout. their oline is solid. their defense isnt stellar but theyre not pushovers either ... they made mincemeat out of boyz oline on sunday. plus theyre winning for their new coach haslett.

The one downside of a Patriot victory. You are back.

The one downside of a Patriot victory. You are back.

hey, i called it. broncos were so bad if we lost to them i wouldnt show my face as a pats fan. was i right or was i right how pathetic they were? thats all i was saying.

How many teams have run through a number of elite teams this year? ARE there any elite teams this year? A win is a win. We're 4-2 right now and just put forth our best effort yet.

Besides, what teams left on the schedule worry you significantly more than Denver? Pittsburgh, maybe Buffalo?

How many teams have run through a number of elite teams this year? ARE there any elite teams this year? A win is a win. We're 4-2 right now and just put forth our best effort yet.

Besides, what teams left on the schedule worry you significantly more than Denver? Pittsburgh, maybe Buffalo?

Exactly correct. There are no "great" teams this year, in either conference.

Titans 7-0......please....I'm not scared.

I'm sorry but isn't this exactly what good teams are supposed to do? Beat the everloving hell out of terrible teams? Mission accomplished. And my ignore list grows everyday. This place is honestly starting to get worse than ESPN.

Two thumbs up! I agree.

I really don't know how much last night tells Us about The Patriots.The Patriots ran left all night and Denver never stopped them.It didn't matter who the back was ,that highway was wide open all night.It reminded Me of the Old John Hannah and Leon Gray Days.I like the win but Denver didn't put up much of a fight.

Denver is the Lakers of the NFL, sure they are a talented bunch, but when push comes to shove they are sure to fold.

The trouble with saying we won because of their soft defense is that every time we score, they get a chance to score.

We won because:

1) They were out-coached (we knew the left was a weakness - every team has them and smart teams will exploit them).

2) They were outwitted: Two recovered fumbles, three interceptions, two probably helped by pressure...

3) They were out-muscled: Pressure against an O-Line that had only given up two sacks, right?

People want to use guys getting knocked out of the game as an excuse. You remember that it's football right? Exhaustion, fear and pain have always been weapons in this sport. The team was over-rated, but had gotten lucky or stayed in games. A superior team such as New England exposed them as total frauds.

We lost by twenty points against a team we know with a our back-up quarterback (well, starter right now - we should likely quit resting on that term) and showed areas we lacked in (secondary game-plan, possibly playcalling on O), and we learned from it. Will Denver do the same? Maybe, but their team is seriously depleted.

This is a quality win, even CHFF thinks so. If you still don't trust this team after that absolute beat down, despite two major personnel losses, you simply ought to start following mini-golf or nascar.

They were outwitted because of 2 recovered fumbles?

That's a new one to me.

We beat them 41-7, with a back up QB and our "premier back" on IR, no corner that scares ANY team and our best running back that left at the Half.

And they are "Soft". Seriously? Stupid argument.

Its not a stupid argument. In fact, everything you said lends itself to the idea that Denver is soft.

They've got one of the worst defenses in the league. Yes, they got 6 sacks, but that was from blown assignments by the RBs and TEs on 4 of them. But they didn't force any fumbles or any interceptions.

That being said, as someone else pointed out, good teams thrash the horrible ones. And that is what the Pats did. This was, by far, the best game for the O-line in terms of their blocking. The RBs and TEs need to block better, but the O-line did very well.

Last edited:
They were outwitted because of 2 recovered fumbles?

That's a new one to me.

Yeah, I wanted to keep the sections limited, it was the best one.

Our team had a better time keeping alert (or their wits about them) in diving on fumbles and snagging INT's. That's all I meant.

matt cassel is doing a great job not turning the ball over and scoring points, but anyone comfortable with the oline/pocket presence combo causing us 4 sacks a game needs to take off their rose colored pat-patriot glasses.

The way I see it, BB was thinking, "Let's see if we can get an FU touchdown here. If not, just DON'T TURN IT OVER." Honestly, the Pats could have just taken a knee to end the half if they wanted.

I think there's a lot of piling on NoCal for his original post. He has a point to a degree: What can we take away from a 41-7 victory over Denver? Just like one could ask what could be taken away from the blowout losses to Miami and San Diego? Was the team truly as good as they were Monday night or truly as bad as they were in those two games?

Here's what I think we can take away from the 41-7 victory:

1. When the DL comes to play, the Pats' D is tough. After watching what the DL did to Denver, to the Jets and to KC, I'm convinced the DL's shortcomings vs. Miami, San Diego and SF point to off days rather than serious fundamental problems. The DL played like poop vs. Miami and at San Diego and nothing more.

2. Brandon Merriweather is turning into a heck of a a safety.

3. Ellis Hobbs plays his best in bump-and-run rather than 10yds off the receiver. He did this vs. Cotchery and Marshall to great success.

4. When the Pats' coaching staff smells blood, they go for the kill. Knowing Cutler's finger was going to prevent fast and accurate throws, they amped up the man-coverage, daring Cutler to zing one in tight coverage. Cutler failed miserably. This coaching adjustment was reminiscient of employing the 2-5 D on SF when BB rightly guessed Martz would abandon the run.

5. When the Pats get production from the running game, they are tough to stop. Cassel can get away with the repeated WR screens and dumpoffs when it's 2nd-and-4 for much of the game.

6. Sammy Morris has been the team's best RB the past two years. He hits the hole hard and fast, Corey Dillon 2004-style. I really wish he was able to play in SB42.

On the other hand, here are some things I'm not sure what we learned:

A. Is the running game legit? Maybe it was the return of Neal that greatly helped the run blocking. Maybe it was the heavy use of Evans as a lead blocker (like they did in the 2nd half of the AFCCG last year). I'm sure Denver's D was the reason they ran for a sick 260yds instead of a great 150yds they may have otherwise gotten if the running game truly has come around. Still the jury is out.

B. Can the Pats reliably defend the middle of the field? Pennington smoked the Pats with passes to the TEs. Gates' presence forced the Pats to give him serious attention, allowing the outside WRs opportunities to hurt them deep. Denver was without Scheffler and slot receiver Stokley, so they had no scary threat across the middle that the Pats had to pay serious attention to. This allowed them to double Marshall and hope O'Neal could hold his own against Royal who is no serious deep threat anyway. Once Cutler banged up his finger, Pittman left injured and Hall fumbled his way into Shanny's doghouse, the D could focus on the two WRs, put pressure on Cutler and it was no surprise that Denver didn't get into the red zone until the last play of the 3rd quarter.

C. Can Cassel produce when the running game doesn't? Cassel played well, but he was very fortunate the running game put him in a position to succeed. The WR screens continue to be used heavily and against Denver who had to keep guys in the middle of the field to stop the run, they worked great. Aside from the SF game where he made multiple great throws to Gaffney and Welker across the middle and to Moss on outs, he for the most part avoids those kinds of throws. His pocket presence is still lacking. Despite a 3 TD night, I don't think anyone can truly say he's turned a corner like Brady did vs. San Diego in 2001.

I'm hoping the coming weeks allow us to take a lot more away from that Denver game, showing us that nothing was a mirage and that all the good we saw was a true measure of how good this team is.

Regards,
Chris

I think there's a lot of piling on NoCal for his original post.

I agree. I don't know the OP's history, but I don't think his post is off base.

While I think we played very well, I don't think the Broncos were as good as advertised. Don't believe me, go read some of their message boards. They were feeling the pending implosion even before our game.

They've been banged up and their defense has sucked all year. The only thing they had going for them was their offense, even though it is turnover happy. Cutler hurt is finger on the first play, which reduced their normal production. On top of that, we played great defense.

On offense, we completely exploited their weakness (run defense) as I would expect from a BB gameplan and they had even more injuries.

The positive is that even after you take in all the other factors, our team is improving. I like our chances against the Rams this week, even though I think they are a resurgent team since the HC change.

The broncos are 4-3. Granted it should be 3-4, it isn't. I don't think it matters who we played, we needed to take someone behind the woodshed. Our D-line did some damage to a line that is a pretty good line, and Seymour worked his man over for most of the game. That's more important to our season than by how much we slaughtered the broncos, and we got it from that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back